Did Jaime tell anyone else about why he killed Aerys?

Lord_Tyrell

Honestly, I think he's only told Brienne and Ser Illyn on what actually happened that night. I really don't think that Tyrion, Cersei, Tywin or anyone else for that matter really knows why Jaime did it. I think that basically everyone assumes treachery due to his heritage. This doesn't seem to have been brought up that Jaime ever mentioned this to Robert or Ned when he was likely going to get a black cloak for what he did, so it's safe to assume that no one else really knows.

As for his family, I think that Tyrion and Cersei's POV would have made some mention of it. When Tyrion finds out about the extra barrels of Wildfyre, he doesn't think much of it, while if he did know of it, surely he would think of Jaime killing the Mad King over this stash, and while it wouldn't have stopped him, he would have thought of Jaime as he lit the river on fire.

Cersei I think would have a bit more apprehension around wildfyre due to Jaime, but instead she fully embraces it and uses it to burn down the Tower of the Hand. Cersei is now obsessed with the stuff, and I think if Jaime told her of that, she would avoid the stuff.

As for Tywin, I honestly think that Jaime lied to him on why he killed Aerys. Instead of the truth, I think that Jaime told Tywin that he killed Jaime to protect the family, and Tywin would have accepted that with no further questioning and be proud of his son's decision.

Does anyone agree or disagree with this?

Yes I agree, if Jaime had told anyone then they probably wouldn't have believed him, even if he told them where to look for the Wildfire (if he did know where to look). He knew Ned wouldn't believe him after he looked at him on the IT. So I doubt Jaime would have wanted to tell anyone after that.

He is the son of the man who later had Elia Martell and her children murdered in cold blood. I don't think anybody would have cared much for his side of the story. Ned seems to have judged him the moment he got into the room and saw Jamie sitting on the IT (really, what did he think doing so?) and everybody else just kind of followed Ned's position.

It's not a good reputation to have but I think he now uses it as a scare tactic. A man who kills his own king will send your baby to you with a trebuchet, hence demure yielding Riverrun. It's a shame his one really good moment is what he is condemned for.

I agree, Brienne is the first person Jaime tells his story to. It's like he said, no one cared for his side of the story. They saw Aerys in a pool of blood and drew their conclusions accordingly.

I also absolutely don't believe Jaime told anyone where to find the wildfire, though I think he did know where to find it. He was a KG, the last one in the city, and thus almost constantly in the presence of the King, who was plotting his wildfire plot. Jaime most probably knew where to find the wildfire.

Telling Tywin would be the most idiotic thing to do. Jaime never believed Tywin would harm Elia or the children, yet he did, brutally. Jaime is not a person who makes the same mistake twice in such a short period of time, and thus would not have told his father.

As to why he did not tell anyone else, I thing Jaime believed the secret would be the safest if it could die with him. Sure, every now and then, some of the wildfire was discovered (the Sept, the Dragonspit), and the pyromancers knew it was from the days of Aerys' reign, but no one apperently connected the several storages of wildfire with any plot, which might confirm that no one knew about the plot (except for Jaime of course). Had anyone known, like Tywin or Robert or Jon Arryn, they would have tried to find all the wildfire, and the pyromancers would have mentioned such search to Tyrion.

wasn't it kind of implied that he was/would have told everyone what happened, but when Ned came riding into the throne room giving him the hairy eye ball Jaimie got all pouty and said eff you Ned....and being butt hurt about a wolf judging the lion and then just said eff it...till his little chat in the tubs with Brienne

I really can't wait for Cersei's death, since I do think she'll be the next person who hears it, and it will be the last thing she ever hears. I could see him maybe telling Aegon if Jaime sees it as his chance for redemption for failing to protect Rhaegar's children, but that's it.

Doesn't anyone think he has talked to Cersei about it? I'd think so.

But yeah.. Guess we would have known about it from her POV then?

No. If he had, Jaime would have certainly mentioned it to Cersei when she burnt down the Tower of the Hand. Surely Cersei would make the connection as well in her head. Cersei will find out, too late though, when she herself has become Aerys.

No. If he had, Jaime would have certainly mentioned it to Cersei when she burnt down the Tower of the Hand. Surely Cersei would make the connection as well in her head. Cersei will find out, too late though, when she herself has become Aerys.

Yeah, that makes sense. Kinda strange though, considering their (way too) close relationship. Quite a burden to carry for 17 years without anyone knowing the truth. And for all the time he has been putting Cersei on pedestal, so he wouldn't have kept quiet just to make sure she didn't do something stupid with it.

Yeah, that makes sense. Kinda strange though, considering their (way too) close relationship. Quite a burden to carry for 17 years without anyone knowing the truth. And for all the time he has been putting Cersei on pedestal, so he wouldn't have kept quiet just to make sure she didn't do something stupid with it.

I never got the impression they had too many heart-to-hearts. Cersei isn't someone who encourages you to be vulnerable, and Jaime isn't the kind of person who thinks that he has to justify his actions.

It's been a burden but also (perversely) a point of pride--he kept it to himself for 17 years. Also, Jaime subconsciously revels in being the Kingslayer--it makes him legendary, fearsome, and different. I also think he's full of self-contempt, and by having this mythical reason people can treat him with contempt somewhat fulfills his need for psychological flagellation. But sub-subconsciously he also wants to unburden himself--and Brienne turns out to be his mother confessor. I think the location as well as their odd contempt-support relationship leads to his final admission.

It's been a burden but also (perversely) a point of pride--he kept it to himself for 17 years. Also, Jaime subconsciously revels in being the Kingslayer--it makes him legendary, fearsome, and different. I also think he's full of self-contempt, and by having this mythical reason people can treat him with contempt somewhat fulfills his need for psychological flagellation. But sub-subconsciously he also wants to unburden himself--and Brienne turns out to be his mother confessor. I think the location as well as their odd contempt-support relationship leads to his final admission.

And don't forget the fact he was very weakened by his imprisonment and his fever. His defence was down. That could have been a part of why he told Brienne as well.

I agree, Brienne is the first person Jaime tells his story to. It's like he said, no one cared for his side of the story. They saw Aerys in a pool of blood and drew their conclusions accordingly.

I also absolutely don't believe Jaime told anyone where to find the wildfire, though I think he did know where to find it. He was a KG, the last one in the city, and thus almost constantly in the presence of the King, who was plotting his wildfire plot. Jaime most probably knew where to find the wildfire.

Telling Tywin would be the most idiotic thing to do. Jaime never believed Tywin would harm Elia or the children, yet he did, brutally. Jaime is not a person who makes the same mistake twice in such a short period of time, and thus would not have told his father.

As to why he did not tell anyone else, I thing Jaime believed the secret would be the safest if it could die with him. Sure, every now and then, some of the wildfire was discovered (the Sept, the Dragonspit), and the pyromancers knew it was from the days of Aerys' reign, but no one apperently connected the several storages of wildfire with any plot, which might confirm that no one knew about the plot (except for Jaime of course). Had anyone known, like Tywin or Robert or Jon Arryn, they would have tried to find all the wildfire, and the pyromancers would have mentioned such search to Tyrion.

I always regarded it as one of Jaime's biggest failures, that he told no one about the caches of wildfire hidden in the city.

What would have happened, if there was a fire in one of the buildings, where the wildfire was stored? In the books it is also mentioned, that wildfire gets more volatile with time, so the situation got a lot more dangerous over time.

I always found it strange, that Jaime killed his king (he broke the most important oath of the kingsguard) even though he could have just tried to knock him out or drug and restrain him, but still considers himself bound by his oaths of secrecy (that according to Barristan Selmy are null and void once the king is dead). Had he gone to Robert Baratheon shortly after the sack and told him about the wildfire, it would certainly have been destroyed and city would have been a lot safer without him breaking any vows.

I always regarded it as one of Jaime's biggest failures, that he told no one about the caches of wildfire hidden in the city.

What would have happened, if there was a fire in one of the buildings, where the wildfire was stored? In the books it is also mentioned, that wildfire gets more volatile with time, so the situation got a lot more dangerous over time.

I always found it strange, that Jaime killed his king (he broke the most important oath of the kingsguard) even though he could have just tried to knock him out or drug and restrain him, but still considers himself bound by his oaths of secrecy (who according to Barristan Selmy are null and void once the king is dead). Had he gone to Robert Baratheon shortly after the sack and told him about the wildfire, it would certainly have been destroyed and city would have been a lot safer without him breaking any vows.

I understand, I also always thought Jaime would have done much better arresting Aerys instead of killing him. Perhaps only killing Rossart would have done the trick as well, since Tywin's men would have reached Aerys before Aerys could hear of Rossarts death.

Perhaps Jaime didn't trust Robert with the information of the wildfire. Roberts hatred for Targaryens was well known. If Jaime had told him of wildfire hidden all through the city, perhaps Robert would have gotten it in his mind to burn the city down, as per Jaime's reasoning. Jaime just didn't want anyone to use the wildfire, I believe. I also doubt he knew that much about wildfire, meaning, he probably did not know the wildfire only gets more dangerous the longer you store it.

Also, Jaime could have thought the information would get back to Tywin, of whom he had never thought was capable killing children in cold blood, yet it had just happened. Jaime could have feared Tywin would use the information for something similar. Children always want to think the best of their parents, yet Jaime that night saw Tywin's true colours.

Jaime also didn't know Robert that well, nor Jon Arryn. He might not have wanted the information to be passed on to just anyone. By the time he got to know Robert truly, Robert was a drunk (thanks to Lyanna's death) and Jaime might had thought Robert possessing the information would be dangerous. Jon Arryn was super loyal to Robert, and anything Jaime told him, he would tell Robert. I can also see Jon Arryn not being friendly to Jaime, since Jaime killed his king. And thus, Jaime didn't tell Jon either.

Had I been Jaime, I would not have slept soundly in that city, knowing that it was only one small fire away from burning down completely. I have the hope that Jaime and Barristan Selmy will meet, either in WoW, otherwise in aDoS, and that their conversations will cover the Sack of KL, Jaime's actions during that night, and Aerys' secrets containing the wildfire plot and all such. I know Jaime is unlikely to survive to the end, since he killed Aerys and Dany will most certainly not forgive him for such, but it would be nice if he get's to tell Barristan about it (and perhaps safe the city like that at the same time, since Tyrion's pyromancers found some of the caches, but definitly not all, and war will, at one point, reach KL again) before he dies. If Jaime can ensure that way that Barristan can safe the city, he would have (in my eyes) redeemed himself. Brienne could also tell, of course, but she seems unlikely to me to survive for much longer. Who would she tell, except for the Brotherhood without Banners? And Lady Stoneheart at least isn't going to listen to her any time soon.

wasn't it kind of implied that he was/would have told everyone what happened, but when Ned came riding into the throne room giving him the hairy eye ball Jaimie got all pouty and said eff you Ned....and being butt hurt about a wolf judging the lion and then just said eff it...till his little chat in the tubs with Brienne

:agree:

concerning arresting Aerys, that's just not his style he solves problems with the sword.

:agree:

concerning arresting Aerys, that's just not his style he solves problems with the sword.

True, Jaime acts before he thinks, that's just his way. It would have been better to arrest Aerys, but he's Jaime, and Jaime thinks only after he has acted.

It also was indeed Ned's judging glare that made Jaime not tell him, at least.

Archived