Did Stannis honestly ever have a chance?

LordPathera

Oh yes good point I hadn't considered that outcome. if that happened after Stannis took KL he would have won for sure, the only question remains is wether Tywin's army alone would have been capable of breaking Stannis's army from the rear (no Loras pun intended)

Tywin's army wouldnot have been able to defeat the Stan Army since the very major thing that influenced breaking of Stannis's Army's formation is the appeareance of Renly's Ghost and also the large Tyrell Army. Tywin Had other war to fight in the north to, so i don't think he would have gone all out at King's Landing if tyrells weren't on his side.

thats nothing, I made a stannis thread that got to 21 pages in 5 hours once. It was amazing. Talk about forum warfare.

Hahahaha it was a Leslie Neilson quote from the movie airplane, sorry couldn't resist and LOL 'forum warfare' the riverlands ain't got nothing on us!

You are naive to think they would 'just bend the knee'

The Tyrells have no gripe with Stannis, and the Lannisters have the Starks to worry about. Even if he can't hold the city, it would still be worth it to kill the royal family. And even if they did not bend the knee, Stannis could still fight them to take control of the Crownlands.

The Tyrells murdered Joffrey because he unrepentantly a terrible person who will sooner or later likely torture their daughter/granddaughter/sister because he is bored. Not to mention, that is an all round awful king that is up there with Aegon IV and Aerys II in that he will sooner or later cause another civil war if left to his own devices.

So? If your in-laws are willing to murder their son in law, they cannot be trusted.

Mace makes suggestions to Cersie yes, but he was hardly forcing her to accept them.

Still makes him greedy and power hungry, just like the Lannisters.

Exactly. Really only Pycelle.

And LF and Varys. If Lannister influence was so little, how is it that they won the coup? Why did Renly, a small council member himself, flee the city when Ned refused to support him? Lannister power beat Baratheon power in the capital.

Because he pretty much maxed out his credit with the Iron Bank.

Doesn't look like it. The IB rep says he repaid their loans on a regular basis.

Why would Tywin or Mace bend the knee to Stannis? Even if he takes the IT, he cannot really do anything to them.

What do they have to gain by fighting him? They have no claim to power if he takes the capital.

someone please explain how he was a puppet?

Because he does everything Cersei tells him to do except name Jaime Hand.

Tywin's army wouldnot have been able to defeat the Stan Army since the very major thing that influenced breaking of Stannis's Army's formation is the appeareance of Renly's Ghost and also the large Tyrell Army. Tywin Had other war to fight in the north to, so i don't think he would have gone all out at King's Landing if tyrells weren't on his side.

Hmm perhaps, but he did still have 20k ish men which is equal to stannis's army pre wildfire and fighting around the walls, from a purely numerical and military perspective I still think he would have won IMO, and also I believe he would still have tried to rescue KL without Tyrell suport because as you say his family would loose their claim to the throne!

Hmm perhaps, but he did still have 20k ish men which is equal to stannis's army pre wildfire and fighting around the walls, from a purely numerical and military perspective I still think he would have won IMO, and also I believe he would still have tried to rescue KL without Tyrell suport because as you say his family would loose their claim to the throne!

Hmm but Stannis as you know is an Effective Commander he would've been able to stop the Tywin's Army had Renly's ghost not broken the Formation.

In Short Stannis was undone by Four factors/people together: Tyrion's Wildfire Plot, Tyrion's Mountain Clansman killing his Scouts, Tywin Lannister's Army and Tyrell Army.

Hmm but Stannis as you know is an Effective Commander he would've been able to stop the Tywin's Army had Renly's ghost not broken the Formation.

In Short Stannis was undone by Four factors/people together: Tyrion's Wildfire Plot, Tyrion's Mountain Clansman killing his Scouts, Tywin Lannister's Army and Tyrell Army.

Where was Stannis again during the battle? was he in a position to command the army under such a turn of events?

It was as much Cersei's wildfire plot as it was Tyrion's. And you forgot the chain.

The Tyrells have no gripe with Stannis, and the Lannisters have the Starks to worry about. Even if he can't hold the city, it would still be worth it to kill the royal family. And even if they did not bend the knee, Stannis could still fight them to take control of the Crownlands.

So? If your in-laws are willing to murder their son in law, they cannot be trusted.

Still makes him greedy and power hungry, just like the Lannisters.

And LF and Varys. If Lannister influence was so little, how is it that they won the coup? Why did Renly, a small council member himself, flee the city when Ned refused to support him? Lannister power beat Baratheon power in the capital.

Doesn't look like it. The IB rep says he repaid their loans on a regular basis.

What do they have to gain by fighting him? They have no claim to power if he takes the capital.

Because he does everything Cersei tells him to do except name Jaime Hand.

Argghhh too many points!!!

I wouldn't put it past the Tyrells saying screw it lets just take the Capitol and be Kings ourself.

Robbert didn't do everything Cersi told him, he hated her!

The Tyrells are pissed at Stannis for killing their king and lover in Loras' case

We all know house little finger won the coup at the capitol

Archived