Did Stannis honestly ever have a chance?

LordPathera

All 1500 of them. And there choice was stay at DS and wait to be killed by Lannister/Tyrell forces or go to the wall and fight poorly armed and untrained soldiers, yeah I'd choose the the latter to.

His army for the attack on KL was much bigger than 1500. And even if it became smaller later, so what? Stannis' small army was super loyal, loyal enough to go to the end of the world as they knew it and fight a horde twenty times their size with mammoths and giants, shouting the name of their king. They could have easily deserted to Joffrey, if not handed him over. Speaking of Joffrey, I can't see anyone in his much larger army being anywhere near this loyal to him.

Exactly how on Earth you can say Dany is more inspirational than Stannis. That's a bit far fetched not to mention a tad stupid.

I don't think it needs to be a competition. Stannis and Dany are clearly both inspiring figures for their respective groups. The whole "Mhysa" bit shows that Dany also inspires loyalty. Even before that she convinces her Dothraki not only to not take her back to Vaes Dothrak to become one of the Dosh Khaleen, but to follow her across the Red Waste, where many of them died. I'm not much of a Dany fan myself, but I have to give credit where credit is due.

His army for the attack on KL was much bigger than 1500. And even if it became smaller later, so what? Stannis' small army was super loyal, loyal enough to go to the end of the world as they knew it and fight a horde twenty times their size with mammoths and giants, shouting the name of their king. They could have easily deserted to Joffrey, if not handed him over. Speaking of Joffrey, I can't see anyone in his much larger army being anywhere near this loyal to him.

I don't think it needs to be a competition. Stannis and Dany are clearly both inspiring figures for their respective groups. The whole "Mhysa" bit shows that Dany also inspires loyalty. Even before that she convinces her Dothraki not only to not take her back to Vaes Dothrak to become one of the Dosh Khaleen, but to follow her across the Red Waste, where many of them died. I'm not much of a Dany fan myself, but I have to give credit where credit is due.

Alright Fair Enough. But it just feels stupid to see that some people think Stannis doesn't inspire loyalty. I mean come on.

Exactly how on Earth you can say Dany is more inspirational than Stannis. That's a bit far fetched not to mention a tad stupid.

Yeah, what was I thinking that the Mother of Slaves is more inspirational then the guy who motivated some dude to learn to read. Especially, when said guy was so motivational that his own younger brother refused to respect him.

She's hands down the most inspirational leader in the series. Say whatever else you want about her but that really can't be disputed.

Yeah, what was I thinking that the Mother of Slaves is more inspirational then the guy who motivated some dude to learn to read. Especially, when said guy was so motivational that his own younger brother refused to respect him.

Hmm mother of slaves, wow someone give her a medal she freed the slaves but the destroyed the lives of non-slavers in the slavers bay. Astapor became a paradise after that. Meereen is also a paradise, currently because Dany rules over there. Wow. That was a sibling rivalry. Same can be said about viserys that he is wasn't inspired by your inspirational queen/princess Dany.

Yeah, Slavers Bay was a utopia before Dany ruined everything.

lol, well, I didnt say it was a utopia. I just think the people there were by and large better off before her. anyway, this is a stannis thread so we would do well to leave dany out of this before it escalates. Sorry for bringing her up in the first place.

The Mother of Slaves' own brother refused to respect her too. That's hardly an indication of whether or not someone's motivational.

She's hands down the mist inspirational leader in the series. Say whatever else you want about her but that really can't be disputed.

Sure it can. I'm sure that the people of Astapor, Yunkai, New Ghis, and basically everyone involved in the Eastern slave trade would beg to differ. And of course, almost no one in Westeros cares about her. The Darrys are dead, and the only ones who really might care are the Martells, and even they will probably reconsider once they hear what happened to Quentin. From what we've seen in the preview chapters for TWOW, Arianne is already nursing doubts.

She's hands down the most inspirational leader in the series. Say whatever else you want about her but that really can't be disputed.

Dany is not even close to being inspirational lest being the most inspirational. And we are getting out of the topic. Lets just remove dany from a stannis post.

The Mother of Slaves' own brother refused to respect her too. That's hardly an indication of whether or not someone's motivational.

Viserys was her older brother and was absolutely bonkers.

Renly was Stannis's younger brother and perfectly sane.

He's one guy. I wouldn't judge Dany's charisma based on Viserys, so I see no reason to judge Stannis in a similar manner. Families have issues, and in the world of ice and fire, just about every family we see is dysfunctional.

lol, well, I didnt say it was a utopia. I just think the people there were by and large better off before her. anyway, this is a stannis thread so we would do well to leave dany out of this before it escalates. Sorry for bringing her up in the first place.

Fair enough.

Was he perfectly sane now? Didn't recognize his brother claim doesn't count as sane, i believe the word you are looking for is greedy, getting easily manipulated by tyrells, that counts as stupid, and yeah i would agree that he had fashion sense.

I don't what his plan was once he actually took KL?? Is he so bone headed that he just expected everyone else to bend the knee as soon he had the capitol??

He had the Stormlands men, so he probably expected to subdue the Crownlands soon after. Plus, with Joffrey and Tommen dead the Lannister/Tyrell alliance would break apart, and they would have no claim to the throne left.

Was he perfectly sane now? Didn't recognize his brother claim doesn't count as sane, i believe the word you are looking for is greedy, getting easily manipulated by tyrells, that counts as stupid, and yeah i would agree that he had fashion sense.

Oh yeah man the Tyrells really tricked him bad. made him king gave him a huge army and a hot young virgin wife.... damn he really manipulated him good

I don't what his plan was once he actually took KL?? Is he so bone headed that he just expected everyone else to bend the knee as soon he had the capitol??

Well if he captured Kings landing then he expected that more lords will except his claim. Since Power breeds power, and u tell me what he should have done, where should he have gone? Kings Landing was the closest city to his lands. He had to attack Kings Landing, he couldn't have gone to Casterly rock or anyother place.

Oh yeah man the Tyrells really tricked him bad. made him king gave him a huge army and a hot young virgin wife.... damn he really manipulated him good

He would've been Robert 2.0, with the Tyrells, who even Dontos sees as "Lannisters with roses" in place of the Lannisters. Mace would be Hand, and Renly would be his puppet.

He had the Stormlands men, so he probably expected to subdue the Crownlands soon after. Plus, with Joffrey and Tommen dead the Lannister/Tyrell alliance would break apart, and they would have no claim to the throne left.

well he would have lost a great deal of those stormland men sacking the city and then he has tywin just up the road with revenge on him mind! oh plus the tyrells weren't too happy with him either

Archived