Is the War of the Five Kings over?

Nyrhex

But [Winterfell] won't be his, it will probs go to Rickon or some other Northern Lord.

Good point. I am annoyed with how the TV series gets his personality so wrong and makes him seem so petulant. Stannis is awesome! :D

I think he will die, too. :( He seems resigned to that probability, hence asking his men to fight for Shireen's throne. He knows what is coming and that he will likely lose but fights on anyway, because he sees it as the right thing to do.

Good point. I am annoyed with how the TV series gets his personality so wrong and makes him seem so petulant. Stannis is awesome! :D

I think he will die, too. :( He seems resigned to that probability, hence asking his men to fight for Shireen's throne. He knows what is coming and that he will likely lose but fights on anyway, because he sees it as the right thing to do.

Yup, he will go out with a blaze of glory.

That might be the reason why he's so resign in his fires. Might be he've seen his own death in the fire, but will nevertheless do his best to win the battle for winterfell, his royal men, holding until Justin arrives to put Shireen in the Iron Throne.

No, the war still rages. Stannis and the Boltons in the North, Euron and the Ironborn carving up the Reach, Aegon and the Golden Company smashing through the Stormlands.

Just because it doesn't actually have five simultaneous active Kings means very little. It actually never had five simultaneous Kings as we learn in the AFFC prologue; Renly dies before Balon is crowned. So if it didn't matter there were four Kings then, I can't see why it should matter there are four Kings now.

It's not, until all of the original factions (Lannisters, Starks, Stannis, Renly/Tyrells, Greyjoys) except one have surrendered/been removed as a threat.

There never was one technically. But the war for the Throne isn't over,You can call it what you want to really.

Star Stannis Wars.

No, the war still rages. Stannis and the Boltons in the North, Euron and the Ironborn carving up the Reach, Aegon and the Golden Company smashing through the Stormlands.

Just because it doesn't actually have five simultaneous active Kings means very little. It actually never had five simultaneous Kings as we learn in the AFFC prologue; Renly dies before Balon is crowned. So if it didn't matter there were four Kings then, I can't see why it should matter there are four Kings now.

Agree with a little correction.

1. The war that originally started as Wo5K is actually a global war for the combined reasons. Originally it was the war for the IT + for the independence of the North, right now there are some new additions like the war of new pretenders for the IT + the war against the Others + attempt of the North to revenge etc.

2. The war that originally started as Wo5K is not over since there're some original factions going on fighting. (bolded in the quote above)

3. Aegon and the GC is the later addition, it can be regarded as a new war for the IT (and given a new name) or as a continuation of an old conflict; but it doesn't change the fact that the original conflict is still going on.

ETA to the #2: I agree that the Boltons now have their independent of the IT intentions, but they didn't declare it yet. In the Pink Letter, if it's not fake, they all but cry about being loyal to the IT.

The war is still going on and it will be probably still be called Wo5K in Westeros history, because history has tought us that the names that stay are the popular ones. e.g. the Hundred Years' war between France and England actually lasted 116 years.

The hundred years war hadn't earned it's name yet when the first peace treaty was signed and the first minor war concluded. It takes the perspective of history for these kind of events to get their true monikers. The war that is currently waging across Westeros has not yet earned it's name either. The Wot5K is over, the war continues.

If anybody won the Wot5K it was the Lannisters, the north was crushed, Renly died, the Ironborn left and Stannis retreated. I wouldn't even say that Stannis was the only king to survive the Wot5K, the real endpoint of that phase of warfare was the RW (mopping up operations aside) and Joffrey was still alive then.

Archived