[tPatQ Spoilers] Anyone else likes the Targaryens less now after reading the novella?

Panos Targaryen

For all the people that hate the magnificent targs do you at least find them interesting?

The Stags are Magnificent and Majestic. Targs are batshit crazy IMO. I do like Targs more because of novellas. Baelor Breakspear FTW!. I found Viserys a tad interesting, Rhaegar was a fool and dany well.... don't want to turn this into a dany-hate thread, so i will keep my thoughts on her to myself.

For all the people that hate the magnificent targs do you at least find them interesting?

No.

Although I found Daemon to be interesting.

But I like the Velaryons now (Legitimate and bastards)

Why so much hate for Daemon in this thread? He was one of the very few likeable characters in the story to me.

Yeah, he was all right.

My opinion of the Targs hasn't changed much. They're dangerous, crazy, arrogant bastards. Some of them are occasionally somewhat likeable, but still, mostly dangerous, crazy and arrogant.

My opinion of the Velaryons has gone up some. I'd like to know more about that House. Seems like by the time of ASOIAF, they've fallen on relatively rough days.

My opinion of the Hightowers has gone way down.

My opinion of the Dustins has gone through the roof. Roddy the Ruin wins the novella.

The Stags are Magnificent and Majestic. Targs are batshit crazy IMO. I do like Targs more because of novellas. Baelor Breakspear FTW!. I found Viserys a tad interesting, Rhaegar was a fool and dany well.... don't want to turn this into a dany-hate thread, so i will keep my thoughts on her to myself.

always nice to hear baelor love. The great king who never was

No.

Although I found Daemon to be interesting.

But I like the Velaryons now (Legitimate and bastards)

Yeah, he was all right.

daemon was a BAWS

Jaime was a different man then, manipulated by Cersei and his egoism and arrogance. He has changed since then. Daemon had no change, he's the same person from start to finish.

We didn't have a Daemon PoV - so we don't know what he was thinking, and whether he changed.

He ordered the death of one of Aegon's sons, as a revenge. He had no influence on the brutality of the murder. Possibly the one behind choosing the murderers, was I think the secret friend of Daemon on the council - which I think was Larys.

Also what Daemon did, he did during a war. What Jaime did, caused a war (it was one of the causes).

Because he had a 6 year old beheaded by two psychopaths.

Well, someone could say that Aegon had a psychopath who killed his sister's child. It was retaliation, if Aegon's supporter hadn't killed Lucerys then Jaehaerys would be alive and if Hellicent wasn't obsessed with becoming King's mother then Aegon's supporter wouldn't have killed Lucerys. So, it comes down to Hellicent once more.

I agree GRRM even stated the maester's views as "very opinionated"

I agree, I would have really enjoyed some POV from each side, even if it wasn't necessarily of The Princess and The Queen. I do think it's easy to see some 'opinion' leaking in from the Maester, as it seems that the official line was to go with the male succession?

Also, one idea that came to me after finishing my reading of this story was......perhaps the maester's writings were also slanted in a certain way to be anti-dragon, as in anti fire breathing magical creature, not anti-Targ. I always have Marwyn's ideas of The Citadel being anti-dragon in my head now (not that I totes trust him, but I do wonder about some of what he had to say), and while yes, some of the dragon scenes were touching, such as Silverwing trying to get the other dragon moving, sniff, sniff), I do wonder if the whole maesters version was about saying: Dragons are bad. Other than the age and strength of Vhagar, I do think the story also showed that the Pit Dragons, on a whole, were a bit weaker than the Dragonstone dragons? Somewhat, anyway, and that also makes me wonder about The Citadel and it's stance on dragons.

In answer to the OP, the story didn't make me dislike Targs any more or less, it did finally make them seem like a real family, and only made me wish we knew more about the ones in this story, and other Targs as well. Even though she seemed to go bitter and a bit hard toward the end, I think I was more so on Rhaenyra's side. Her group at Dragonstone just seemed more interesting all around.

I've never really liked the Targaryens, so I can't say I like them less after reading this. I was plesantly surprised to read about Jace, Luke, Baela and Daeron the Daring. Jace was very smart, and he could have made a good king. Daeron probably benefited from being away from his mother.

I'm still not sure what to think of Rhaenyra. She seems to be a lot like Cat, a once strong woman that made a lot of mistakes because of all the trauma she has suffered. She was a good mother though, much better than Hellicent.

Which reminds me I have a very low opinion of the Hightowers, and I'm curious to see if the current generation is just as power hungry.

I have to admit, it's the Hightowers that this story made me wonder about, they are who I am more suspicious of and now I wonder what the hell is going on right now atop The Hightower, LOL

I agree, I would have really enjoyed some POV from each side, even if it wasn't necessarily of The Princess and The Queen. I do think it's easy to see some 'opinion' leaking in from the Maester, as it seems that the official line was to go with the male succession?

Also, one idea that came to me after finishing my reading of this story was......perhaps the maester's writings were also slanted in a certain way to be anti-dragon, as in anti fire breathing magical creature, not anti-Targ. I always have Marwyn's ideas of The Citadel being anti-dragon in my head now (not that I totes trust him, but I do wonder about some of what he had to say), and while yes, some of the dragon scenes were touching, such as Silverwing trying to get the other dragon moving, sniff, sniff), I do wonder if the whole maesters version was about saying: Dragons are bad. Other than the age and strength of Vhagar, I do think the story also showed that the Pit Dragons, on a whole, were a bit weaker than the Dragonstone dragons? Somewhat, anyway, and that also makes me wonder about The Citadel and it's stance on dragons.

I agree with Lady Fever Dream. It seems very likely that the Citadel was putting its own spin on dragons with this account.

This account tells us nothing about how a rider contols a dragon because the Citadel doesn't know or they want that info forgotten. The Citadel also seems to be pushing the idea that the Targs had no way to make a dragon egg hatch other than to pray over it. That seems really unlikely to me and if it turns out to be true, I will be very disappointed.

OP, the Targs and their dragons are still mysterious to me because their biggest mysteries have not been answered yet imo. So the novella hasn't changed my opionion of the Targs. They are like any other family in Westeros with memebers I love and members I hate.

I was surprised to see that so many people liked Rhaenyra. Cersei is my least favorite character in the series and Rhaenyra was basically Cersei before Cersei, so I hated her during my reading.

As to the OP, it was refreshing to get some more info on the Targaryens. Given that we know how divided the house has been over time, I didn't think any less of them after the reading; the story only confirmed that there's a lot of ego in that family. The fact that they had dragons while their enemies didn't was the reason they were able to take Westeros in the first place. Given all of the inbreeding, it was only a matter of time before half-brothers/sisters warred over the IT.

The biggest question I had was

was the one-handed priest that convinced the masses of King's Landing to murder the remaining dragons in the service of the maesters or was he just a priest that recognized the threat the dragons posed?

Yeah same, i hated Rhaenyra, i liked Queen Alicent more than her.

I hated Alicent, but I agree that Rhaenyra is just like Cersei. They were both a bit rational at the beginning, but after they lost a son, they went completely nuts.

I was surprised to see that so many people liked Rhaenyra. Cersei is my least favorite character in the series and Rhaenyra was basically Cersei before Cersei, so I hated her during my reading.

Is she? The way I see it she was completely sane before her step mother betray her and her fathers will and maybe even killed her father.

Alicent is also Cersei before Cersei as well.

Agree. Hellicent is more Cersei than Rhaenyra.

Archived