Golden Globes Snub

Ned Snow

I agree that the production values are far more better and richer in seasons 2 and 3, but I'd rather take the tight and consistent story focus of season 1 than the far more broad and sporadic stories of later seasons (and yes, I know it was like that in the book. It just seemed not as bad in the books). Season 1 was also much more respectful to the source material, and there were much fewer needless deviations and changes, especially in the characters.

I agree that the production values are far more better and richer in seasons 2 and 3, but I'd rather take the tight and consistent story focus of season 1 than the far more broad and sporadic stories of later seasons (and yes, I know it was like that in the book. It just seemed not as bad in the books). Season 1 was also much more respectful to the source material, and there were much fewer needless deviations and changes, especially in the characters.

Amen.

I think the "so.. What now?" Of the end of season will dictate the course of how the bigger awards flow next year.

If season 4 can keep up with season 3 while providing some pay offs for the RW and give the audience some "aha" moments then 4 will get the love.

If not, well...let's just hope people keep watching it regardless.

It may be more helpful to look at the shows which were nominated: I think most would agree that Breaking Bad deserves to be on there, and maybe Masters of Sex and House of Cards (haven't seen either yet, but the critical acclaim for both seems to be very widespread) as well. But The Good Wife? A very unexceptional legal drama which reviews for the previous season seem to be saying is running out of steam? And Downton fucking Abbey, which was never great in the first place but everyone seems to agree just had its worse season ever? C'mon, GoT annihilates both of those shows without breaking sweat.

Still, at least the terminally, ludicrously-overated Homeland isn't on there either. And yeah, I enjoy The Walking Dead but it's never been on the same level even as GoT-at-it's-weakest-in-Season 2.

Still, at least the Golden Globes showed some sanity in nominating Tatiana Maslany for Best Actress in a TV show, showing more sense than the Emmies.

Errr, where did you get that idea? General concensus is that it's one of the best legal dramas on TV right now and probably one of the best ever, and this season has even been better than the last so far. If you've actually watched the show for more than one season, you're the first person I'll meet who has called it "unexceptional"

Everything you need to know about awards shows can be summed up in a single sentence:

The Wire never won a single Emmy in its entire run.

If you want to talk specifically about the Golden Globes, we can say this:

The Wire was never nominated for a single Golden Globe in its entire run.

It's not worth getting upset about.

Sept

Archived