Golden Globes Snub

Ned Snow

Second year in a row the Golden Globes has turned their nose up at GoT. I wonder what the Hollywood Foreign Press doesn't like about it? I'll admit to not watching any of the other shows up for noms (I don't watch many TV dramas, pretty much just GoT, Boardwalk Empire, and Walking Dead if you want to call that a drama lol) but I find it hard to believe that in every eligible category there's five better than GoT, not to mention the fact that the SAGs and Emmys continue to show GoT love. So what gives?

Because Game of Thrones hasn't been great since season 1, and just because there's a single 'shocking' moment in an entire season, doesn't mean it should automatically win awards. People seem willing to overlook the many problems of season 3 souly based off "The Rains of Castamere," which was a sorely disappointing episode in my opinion, as a book reader.

The acting in Game of Thrones is nothing special either, despite what many insist. Peter Dinklage has never deserved to win any awards; his performance is quite average and nothing special, in my opinion. Just because she cried a lot doesn't mean Michelle Fairley should win either. The best performance we've seen in the show so far has been Alfie Allen's in season 2, and that went completely unrecognised.

I personally feel that Breaking Bad season 5a deserved to win more than Game of Thrones season 2, and Boardwalk Empire season 4, which was amazing, deserves to win far more than season 3 of Game of Thrones. These shows feel far better paced, written and acted than Game of Thrones, which is wildly inconsistent in all of these areas. Oh well, I know many will completely disagree with me, and that's fine, since this is just my opinion.

My question was more about why the GG specifically is snubbing GoT while the other major awards shows aren't - two years in a row with no noms.

And these awards are given based off of one episode submitted to the voters, if it's done the same way as the Emmys. So Rains of Castamere could garner nominations and awards even if every other episode was objectively terrible, at least in theory. Don't know if the GG does it the same way though.

Actually its been pretty well reviewed since Season 1. Some book fans prefer season 1, but a lot critics and unsullied prefer season 2 and 3 with their more cinematic production values and increased action. There have been many "great' moments in season 3 and actually the sex was at its most gratuitous and plot irrelevant in season 1 (and early s2). Season 3 toned it down quite well in that respect.

As for the Golden Globes, I wouldn't worry too much. Think about the movies they ignored this year and last year. Much bigger snubs. As has been said, the Wire never won a Golden Globe, so GoT shouldn't feel tarnished at not winning or being nominated.

The Golden Globes are a joke, and always have been.

That they're the only awards show snubbing one of the most popular and critically acclaimed shows on television should simply be yet another confirmation of that fact, rather than something we should actually be wondering about.

Fantasy.

GRRM predicted this when the show was greenlit. He said don't expect too many award wins. That the show will be nominated plenty of times in the Emmys or other awards to placate the fanbase and HBO, but will rarely win.

The cocktail drinking, party going elitist snobs that make up Hollywood and vote on these things, couldn't be bothered taking fantasy seriously.

Because GoT, the TV show, is massively overrated. Best TV I've seen this year is Breaking Bad and Boardwalk Empire, which were in a different league. It's generally mediocre with a few good moments, but even compared with shows like The Walking Dead or Sons of Anarchy, I'm always surprised of how bored I am most of the time watching it, even though I love the source material. And the dialogue and scripts are not in the same caliber as the aforementioned shows or even really well written dialogue heavy TV like Rectify.

Cut to Kings Landing with people talking, cut to the Wall with people talking...in the snow, cut to Essos with people talking....in the dessert, cut to gratuitous boinking, cut to fight scene, cut to more talking, the end. The Red Wedding scene in particular was so ludicrously OTT that I've pretty much given up on it, trying way too hard. So in summary the GGs have ignored it because it isn't good enough.

Don't you think that the "people talking" critique reflects the source material? The show lacks the internal dialogue of the books but it is dialogue heavy, as are the books. People are interested in the political machinations of the game of thrones, after all that's what the show is called. This year Game of Thrones' critical reception was greater than that of Boardwalk Empire and it has always been better received by critics than the Walking Dead. Its writing I would say its writing is miles better than the Walking Dead. It's not Breaking Bad or the Wire, but few shows are. The Wire, like GoT, is a show largely of people talking that depends on build-up to then make payoff work.

GoT is one of the best shows on TV because it can entertain, pull big gut-punching moments and because it has unparalleled production values. Its visuals are the best on tv, I would say as well as its sense of spectacle.

If you've given up on it, I'm sorry to hear that, but your bias does not reflect popular opinion or critical consensus.

Because GoT, the TV show, is massively overrated. Best TV I've seen this year is Breaking Bad and Boardwalk Empire, which were in a different league. It's generally mediocre with a few good moments, but even compared with shows like The Walking Dead or Sons of Anarchy, I'm always surprised of how bored I am most of the time watching it, even though I love the source material. And the dialogue and scripts are not in the same caliber as the aforementioned shows or even really well written dialogue heavy TV like Rectify.

Cut to Kings Landing with people talking, cut to the Wall with people talking...in the snow, cut to Essos with people talking....in the dessert, cut to gratuitous boinking, cut to fight scene, cut to more talking, the end. The Red Wedding scene in particular was so ludicrously OTT that I've pretty much given up on it, trying way too hard. So in summary the GGs have ignored it because it isn't good enough.

Except that pretty much every other major awards show, including the Emmys, SAGs and BAFTAs, have nominated it for best series.

So if GG thinks it's not good enough, then their opinion, like yours, is in the minority.

It may be more helpful to look at the shows which were nominated: I think most would agree that Breaking Bad deserves to be on there, and maybe Masters of Sex and House of Cards (haven't seen either yet, but the critical acclaim for both seems to be very widespread) as well. But The Good Wife? A very unexceptional legal drama which reviews for the previous season seem to be saying is running out of steam? And Downton fucking Abbey, which was never great in the first place but everyone seems to agree just had its worse season ever? C'mon, GoT annihilates both of those shows without breaking sweat.

Still, at least the terminally, ludicrously-overated Homeland isn't on there either. And yeah, I enjoy The Walking Dead but it's never been on the same level even as GoT-at-it's-weakest-in-Season 2.

Still, at least the Golden Globes showed some sanity in nominating Tatiana Maslany for Best Actress in a TV show, showing more sense than the Emmies.

It may be more helpful to look at the shows which were nominated: I think most would agree that Breaking Bad deserves to be on there, and maybe Masters of Sex and House of Cards (haven't seen either yet, but the critical acclaim for both seems to be very widespread) as well. But The Good Wife? A very unexceptional legal drama which reviews for the previous season seem to be saying is running out of steam? And Downton fucking Abbey, which was never great in the first place but everyone seems to agree just had its worse season ever? C'mon, GoT annihilates both of those shows without breaking sweat.

I completely agree about Downton Abbey, but not The Good Wife. It is really good, with exceptional cast. If I could have chosen, I would simply replace DA with GoT, and it would be perfect.

As was previously mentioned, we knew that GoT will have problems with award committees. First, it is fantasy genre, something that usually doesn't work with variety members, then there is humongous cast which doesn't allow many characters to breathe properly. Third, and we all know this, the producers were submitting the wrong names. I mean, Sibel Kekilli? So, it is just the mix of many different things. NCW was perfect this season, and I can't believe that he was completely snubbed for Peter Dinklage. Especially, given that Dinklage was nothing special, and NCW completely rocked his role this year. As for ladies, between Clarke and Fairley, I imagine the votes got split. Simply, I know they are all good, but, with this big cast, we have simply to expect that voters will choose one from the show, and that logic destroys the chances of some supporting characters being nominated.

It's the Golden Globes. They also 'snubbed' season six of Mad Men (should have replaced The Good Wife), season four of Boardwalk Empire (...Downtown Abbey...), and obviously the third season of Game of Thrones (which should have replaced the incredibly pedestrian House of Cards).

But their main goal is to draw as many recognizable celebrities to the broadcast as is possible with their nominations; nothing more and nothing less. That isn't to say that a lot of worthwhile shows and individuals weren't nominated, but that the subjective quality of these programs isn't taken into account as much as the desire to push the broadcast ratings up by having a high number of famous people attend the awards ceremony.

A more legitimate way of discerning how the show is faring critically would be to take note of how many professional Top 10 (or whatever number) lists the show makes it onto. And in that regard, the show is doing better than it did even in season one (though the exposure the show has gotten over the past several years has obviously played a role in that).

And again, it's the Golden Globes.

Because Game of Thrones hasn't been great since season 1, and just because there's a single 'shocking' moment in an entire season, doesn't mean it should automatically win awards. People seem willing to overlook the many problems of season 3 souly based off "The Rains of Castamere," which was a sorely disappointing episode in my opinion, as a book reader.

The acting in Game of Thrones is nothing special either, despite what many insist. Peter Dinklage has never deserved to win any awards; his performance is quite average and nothing special, in my opinion. Just because she cried a lot doesn't mean Michelle Fairley should win either. The best performance we've seen in the show so far has been Alfie Allen's in season 2, and that went completely unrecognised.

I personally feel that Breaking Bad season 5a deserved to win more than Game of Thrones season 2, and Boardwalk Empire season 4, which was amazing, deserves to win far more than season 3 of Game of Thrones. These shows feel far better paced, written and acted than Game of Thrones, which is wildly inconsistent in all of these areas. Oh well, I know many will completely disagree with me, and that's fine, since this is just my opinion.

Good post.

There's some horribly awkward scenes in season 2 and three that got through the editing net because of a need to move the plot forward.

Case in point: Marjory and Sansa and drunk Tyrion.

I'll watch it til the sun rises in the west but I can see why it had been overlooked in favour of better acted/edited/directed shows like breaking bad and boardwalk.

O I disagree with this totally.

I thought season 2 was a dip but there was a very good recovery this season.

Season 2 got lost in the wilderness by D&D's apparent confusion of what to do about Dany and the East.

In fact my favorite sequence the whole of season 3 was DRACARYS which for me was better than the RW and the best thing since BLACKWATER.

Over all season 3 was only a touch off of season 1.

As for the acting, I can find no fault , except with one minor actor.

Without any analysis , except opinion, I can't follow the criticism of the acting.

Anyway, I have never figured what the Golden Globes are, the Oscars and Emmy's cover US soil film and TV media awards adequately.

(I mean there are preferential things like the NY Critics awards and the whiffle 'popular' awards , but those are just ignorable frayed strings.)

I'm a book reader first, too, but I try not to hold the show to unfairly high standards against the books. I try to just judge it against other shows. And by doing so, do I think it's better than Masters Of Sex and The Good Wife.......OF COURSE IT IS!!!!

The Good Wife getting nominated over GOT is ridiculous. Regardless of if you're a fan of the books and not so much the show, or not. Put all that aside and look at the show on it's own merits. Story wise, production wise, detail wise, acting wise, set piece wise, intrigue wise, action wise, the show is unique and fantastic, especially when compared to your typical TV drama

To snub it like this is to spit on the immense effort they put into making it. It would be one thing if said effort didn't lead to a great result, but it obviously has. People who never heard of GRRM or his books before, are crazy about it on a level rarely ever seen. To snub such a thing is flat out gross

Archived