GOODKIND V

Werthead

The funniest part about this is that after it is all said and done, Kalahan comes out as the moral charecter. Satisifying ones urges is considered a moral act. That she thought she was doing it with just some guy, irrelevent. Not that I am arguing against that however.

Seeing as this is to be the last thread... could I ask a quite serious question? I've tried to make sense of the whole issue of objectivism. Can someone more educated than myself tell me if I've gotten it right?

My understanding of objectivism:

I. An objectivist always chooses Life, never Death.

II. One chooses Life by a) safeguarding one's own survival for as long as possible, and B) making sure to leave numerous, strong, healthy offspring behind.

III. One chooses Death by any action which lessens one's health, efficiency and/or ability to reproduce. This includes neglecting to take any action which would increase one's health, efficiency and/or ability to reproduce.

IV. An objectivist is always completely sure that his view of the world is correct - to doubt oneself is to choose Death. If an objectivist's view of the world proves to be incorrect, he adjusts it to fit, and then proceeds to be completely sure that this new view is correct.

V. In order for one to be completely certain in one's beliefs, those beliefs must be simple and to the point enough to offer a clear answer to every question. To make one's beliefs so complicated that they sometimes answer "maybe" instead of "yes" or "no" is to invite doubt, and thereby choosing Death.

VI. Similarily, an objectivist's moral code must be simple enough to offer a clear answer to every moral quandry. An objectivist either approves or disapproves of everything he sees, and acts to stop what he disapproves of. To do otherwise is to choose Death.

VII. An objectivist never stands in the way of someone else's pursuit of Life, unless it interferes with his own pursuit of Life.

VIII. An objectivist acts to stop anyone who violates VII, even if this gets in the way of the objectivist's own pursuit of Life, and even if it means the objectivist violating, in turn, the guilty party's pursuit of Life.

IX. If anything does interfere with an objectivist's pursuit of Life, he must fight it by all means availeble, as per III.

X. An objectivist never aids anyone else's pursuit of Life unless there is a clear benefit in it for him. To do so would be to a) waste strength which should go to one's own pursuit of Life, as per II, and B) weaken the other party by making him reliant on help. For both those reasons, helping someone without compensation is to choose Death.

XI. Intellect is the curse of mankind; all animals are perfect objectivists. However, to fail to make use of one's intellect is to neglect a resource for pursuing Life, so the only choice is to use intellect in a disciplined fashion and not fall prey to its traps.

That last one might be more Goodkind than Rand, I admit. Rand, at least, managed to get excited about the idea of a better alloy. Goodkind's idea of a triumph of the intellect seems to be... lardo.

So, is this about the size of it, or have I gotten anything badly wrong? :)

(edited for spelling errors)

The funniest part about this is that after it is all said and done, Kalahan comes out as the moral charecter. Satisifying ones urges is considered a moral act. That she thought she was doing it with just some guy, irrelevent. Not that I am arguing against that however.

Richard later begs her forgiveness for getting angry with her. :rolleyes:

Pussywhipped.

Baeraad: Given how much killing Richard does, the constant pursuit of "Life" as you describe seems a bad fit.

But those people he kills are standing in the way of his pursuit of life, so its perfectly moral.

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.

This is absurd. Everybody knows that being really cocksure is a clear sign of genius. So long as you are Richard or Kahlan.

So, the question is really, do chickens which are no chickens have wings (which might or might not be wings). See, in the first sentence, the chicken which is not a chicken's shadow has taken the form of wings (which might or might not be wings). In the second sentence, however, do the 'wings' refer to real wings or to the chicken which is not a chicken's shadow which has merely taken the form of wings (which might or might not be wings).

I see what you did there.

....Okay, Richard goes into a deep phliosophical discussion about this revelation, and then TG goes on to describe in him in a wizard outfit. WTF? Outfit? He quoted the whole theasaurus entry for prophecy, and he can't look up a more appropriate word or make up a more detailed description of Richard's clothes?

Richard sound very like a sulking kid in this chapter.

While he lived, a Seeker was a law unto himself. Backed by the awesome power of hes sword, a Seeker could bring down kingdoms. That was one reason it was so important to name the right person - a moral person -

And his 'thing'. Don't forget the thing. Armed with masculine charms, his sword, his morality and his all powerful thing, Richard, dressed in a black wizard outfit, is a law unto himself. Judge and Executioner, I suppose. Which is why it is okay that he kicks little girls, and slaughters peaceful protesters.

The Mad Moose, I couldn't bear reading the "Kahlan' quote. Two sentences of it and I was already running for the bathroom to hurl. To have that part compared to a romance novel is an insult to romance.

Hey,

Who is Truth over at the TerrryGoodkind website? I can not believe that the mod over there has not deleted posts.

Good job Truth, whomever you are :). Although I will say I was surprised by one of the TG posters Keldarn or something. He / she was civil, respectful, and conceded points.

Gotta admit though, there is just SOOOOO much material to have fun with (TG that is).

For the record, I read up to midway of "Soul of the Fire" and got sick of reading the same plot line over and over (boy finds girl, boy loses girl, boy finds girl in the end, boy loses girl again. Also, why is it that Richard always screws up and lets some form of EVIL loose every time he clears up one EVIL? I mean wtf...the Seeker, FTW!!!). That crap happened in EVERY BOOK!

Hasta!

Stark Out!

I thought Zed had the shiny black wizard's war outfit (where can I get one?)

Google 'erect, masculine, master, and "black outfit"' and you'll find just the right 'thing'.

ETA: of course I had to try it myself out of misplaced curiosity. Oboy, I wish I hadn't, my eyes still hurt. And of course wifey chose that exact moment to pop in. I'll have a lot of explaining to do... Thank you very much Mr. Goodkind.

Google 'erect, masculine, master, and "black outfit"' and you'll find just the right 'thing'.

ETA: of course I had to try it myself out of misplaced curiosity. Oboy, I wish I hadn't, my eyes still hurt. And of course wifey chose that exact moment to pop in. I'll have a lot of explaining to do... Thank you very much Mr. Goodkind.

Somebody should make this into a T-shirt:

Goodkind hates marriage.

What you miss, and you miss at whole in this entire internet feasco is this: Aggressors deserve no mercy. The ones who start violence, who start merciless attacks, who allow merciless attacks to begin, are guilty of treason against innocent individuals and have earned merciless retaliation. Any person who begins a campaign of violence (verbal, written or physical) has branded themselves undeserving of consideration. What they deserve is justice brought down against them in full force.

What I see from these individuals who launch these attacks against Terry, his books, his fans are individuals who have an aversion to justice. They want to be allowed to do anything they want to --irregardless of who gets hurt-- without penalty or being called to pay for any damage they bring about. When someone, like mystar, calls them on it, they react like a gang of criminals trying to evade justice. When they see how few individuals come calling with justice, they retaliate like said gang of criminals would derride the police officers before murdering them. Such gangs are not tolerated by moral individuals.

The charges have been upgraded. Not only are GioG posters rapists, we're now the cop-killers to Goodkind fans police officers. I'd advise posters to be alert for any "things" rising up swiftly followed by a boot to the face.

Archived