Who Started the Robert's Rebellion War? Was it Rhaegar or his father King Aerys II Targaryen?

Winterfell Resident

If Rhaegar had killed Robert at the Trident instead, I'd still suspect that Aerys would soon be overthrown by his son, and it seems that even some of the Kingsguard may have been in on it. Aerys was the worst king in the history of Westeros and no one was putting up with his bullshit for much longer, especially when a great king is next in line.

You're totes clueless.

Yes cause Aerys would've burned Rhaegar the oaf.

Rhaegar the oaf or Aerys the oaf? But there is an interesting question lurking, viz., what did Rhaegar say to his father after Rhaegar returned to the Red Keep? I doubt he was imprudent enough to tell him that the only reason he was still alive was the prohibition against kinslaying, but I suspect that he made it clear that his father's actions were folly at the very least. He might also have said that Lyanna was furious at the murder of her father and brother. Given his intention to call a great council to have his father set aside, he might have said relatively little more so as not to alert his father about his plans in that regard. He did however hint to Jaime what he had in mind (and did Jaime say anything to Aerys about that?).

I doubt GRRM will write that scene for us, but it would be interesting to see our author's account nonetheless.

• 2 weeks later...

Many factors contributed to the rebellion. Pinning all of it on Aerys is wrong. Aerys commanding Ned's and Robert's death merely hastened the things. I'm pretty certain that the rebellion would have happened anyway. Brandon was dead already, but he could have handled the situation differently.

I think it was a bunch of different issues all coming to a head at once. But I think the events all go back to the tournament when Rhaegar named Lyanna his queen of love and beauty.

Obviously Howland Reed started the war. If he had gone back to Greywater Watch after his visit to the Isle of Faces instead of getting curious and going to the Harrenhal tourney, he wouldn't have been bullied by those three squires. Then Lyanna wouldn't have become the Knight of the Laughing Tree and so impressed Rhaegar with her courage and ability. Rhaegar wouldn't have crowned her queen of love and beauty. They wouldn't have run off together. Brandon wouldn't have been upset about his sister's elopement/abduction and wouldn't have gone to KL and threatened Rhaegar. Aerys wouldn't have killed him and his father or demanded Jon Arryn to deliver his wards to the crown. Nobody would have rebelled. So it's all Howland Reed's fault. Which is why most everyone in Westeros dislikes those frogeaters. :leaving:

Archived