Game Canoncity

Tolquius

I don't know if "canoncity" is a real word, but.

We know that George Martin was part of the production team for the Game of Thrones game: a game of Game of Thrones. He did not write the plot per se, but he overviewed it, and he was "largely happy" with the result.

But can we consider the game book canon?

I mean, for what I understand, the game does not influence in the story of the books, but provides interesting bits of lore and the state of The Wall before Jon Snow.

And basically, one of the main characters is a warg very devout to the Seven, from House Westford (which is pledged to House Lannister), which I think it is a good idea to follow, but raises some questions as well. I always thought, for some reasons, that only people who believed in the Old Gods could warg. But if we take the game into account, apparently not.

I have never played it, but judging by the comments of posters over the last year or so that I've been on here, they're not likely to consider it cannon unless it's written by him, or in tandem with him(tWoIaF). Most don't consider the show to be cannon either, but if it is based around the show you may want to post this question to the Show boards as well.

edt: And btw I like the term "canoncity" :)

Ah, topic close to my heart :) It can't be considered canon, it just can't. A red priest as the eldest son in a Lannister vassal house? The southron skinchanger? The half-Targ/half-Baratheon bastard? No. Any thought that these characters could exist within the diegesis of the books is preposterous. For example, my character would have been one of the most senior members of the NW at Castle Black during the battle, in a scene as tight as that with maybe 300-400 NW, there is simply no way to retcon that into the books.

George actually answered this question on his blog, when the game came out:

The videogames, the board games, the card games, the comic book, even the television shows... all great in their own right, I hope, but still secondary. The books are canon. Nothing else.

Here's the link.

Even though it wasn't cannon, it was a lot of fun to play. It was clearly created by fans of the books who respected the material and the lore.

I am actually thinking of buying the board game in order to learn strategy.

Get the second version and make sure you have a group of 5 close and dedicated friends to play with you.

Also, don't always pick Baratheon, that's incredibly cheap.

Why y do dis sully? :crying:

House Baratheon's advantage in the board game is mind-boggling, man. They start the closest to King's Landing, which they can take on the second turn, get the most support tokens, start with the damned Iron Throne, and are basically free to do whatever they want for three turns before anyone reaches them, so they can capture a shitload of castles that'll allow them to recruit in masses. Not to mention that in 3 and 5 player games, they get a huuuuuuuge part of the map for themselves. (And the Tyrells, in the case of a 5 player game)

Luckily, their Character Cards are total shit.

House Baratheon's advantage in the board game is mind-boggling, man. They start the closest to King's Landing, which they can take on the second turn, get the most support tokens, start with the damned Iron Throne, and are basically free to do whatever they want for three turns before anyone reaches them, so they can capture a shitload of castles that'll allow them to recruit in masses. Not to mention that in 3 and 5 player games, they get a huuuuuuuge part of the map for themselves. (And the Tyrells, in the case of a 5 player game)

Luckily, their Character Cards are total shit.

Hmm i always manage to somehow lose with Baratheons. :bang:

Hmm i always manage to somehow lose with Baratheons. :bang:

Well, in 4 or 6 player games, that's perfectly normal, their usual insane advantage goes away a bit in those circumstances.

To be fair though, I usually play Greyjoy, who's equally somewhat broken, not due to their location or starting bonuses, but because their Character cards are just mind-bogglingly over-powered. (Balon being the strongest card in the game in my opinion, it's simply ridiculous)

The tendency that my friends have to not make alliances works in my favour though, as I have yet to lose a game as Greyjoy.

How often do you play, man?

Well, in 4 or 6 player games, that's perfectly normal, their usual insane advantage goes away a bit in those circumstances.

To be fair though, I usually play Greyjoy, who's equally somewhat broken, not due to their location or starting bonuses, but because their Character cards are just mind-bogglingly over-powered. (Balon being the strongest card in the game in my opinion, it's simply ridiculous)

The tendency that my friends have to not make alliances works in my favour though, as I have yet to lose a game as Greyjoy.

How often do you play, man?

Pretty often, there is this genius in my group who always takes the cake and he always plays with Arryns.

Pretty often, there is this genius in my group who always takes the cake and he always plays with Arryns.

Wait, which game do you play?

Because the one I'm talking about doesn't have the Eyrie as a playable faction. :x

The Board Game. Westeros. I'll try to find a link. Wait which are you talking about.

This alongside expansions included. Battle of Westeros.

Right I think I see the issue here, we're talking about different games here http://www.amazon.co.uk/Game-Thrones-Board-2nd-Edition/dp/1589947207/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1389697453&sr=8-1&keywords=game+of+thrones+board+game That's the one we mean (Or at least I mean)

The Board Game. Westeros. I'll try to find a link. Wait which are you talking about.

This alongside expansions included. Battle of Westeros.

This one here.

Right I think I see the issue here, we're talking about different games here http://www.amazon.co.uk/Game-Thrones-Board-2nd-Edition/dp/1589947207/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1389697453&sr=8-1&keywords=game+of+thrones+board+game That's the one we mean (Or at least I mean)

Yup, second edition and all.

Hmm interesting, i might as well order this one.

Yeah looks good. Battles of Westeros is also good. Give it a try.

Archived