Rick and Morty thread

Sci-2

I started watching this again after the weak pilot and I think it's really good.

This last episode was not only funny, but actually touched on the idea of how a simulation might handle memory/processing limitations. Something I've read about in more serious considerations of the Simulation Argument.

The pilot was kind of uneven, but the three episodes since have been excellent. If it weren't for the fact that Archer just came back, I would say it is the best animated program on TV right now. It is undoubtedly the best new animated program on Adult Swim in years.

I'm enjoying it a lot, and it's been a long time since Adult Swim came out with a new show I liked. I think it works really well as an adult cartoon. The premise seems right out of a kids cartoon, with the boy's grandad taking him on secret interdimensional adventures, so it feels like Sealab or Harvey Birdman without actually being based on a previous cartoon.

"I just killed my family!"

"Some people would pay top dollar for that kind of breakthrough."

Hahahaha

Liked the Mexises, or whatever those conjured blue dudes were.

The premise seems right out of a kids cartoon, with the boy's grandad taking him on secret interdimensional adventures, so it feels like Sealab or Harvey Birdman without actually being based on a previous cartoon.

I think it's a riff on Back to the Future and how that relationship was kinda weird.

I kinda hope they do a riff on Magic School Bus, something about that whole deal seemed creepy...

"I need some of your DNA"

*Mory starts to unzip pants*

"A hair Morty, I just need a hair. This isn't Game of Thrones."

"Jealousy turns women off."

"Well, isn't that convenient?"

"Not for the men they cheat on, no."

Spoiler

"Thank God!"

"God? God is the one turning people into insect monsters. I'm the one beating them to death."

I liked how they riffed on lazy fixes in sci-fi- you set up a problem, a bunch of pseudo-scientific babble is spouted, the problem is solved. Here, of course it escalated with the only out being do over in a different reality. The ending montage with Morty adpating was crushing and hilarious at the same time.

Haven't watched the newest episode yet but I watched last week's episode yesterday. Thought it was one of the funniest yet... Crap there was one joke that just destroyed me but I'm having trouble remembering it now.

I think it's a riff on Back to the Future and how that relationship was kinda weird.

I kinda hope they do a riff on Magic School Bus, something about that whole deal seemed creepy...

Ah, that makes sense.

I liked how they riffed on lazy fixes in sci-fi- you set up a problem, a bunch of pseudo-scientific babble is spouted, the problem is solved. Here, of course it escalated with the only out being do over in a different reality. The ending montage with Morty adpating was crushing and hilarious at the same time.

Also dark but funny how Rick noted that "love potions" are basically roofies.

I liked the solution as it was sci-fi based but definitely creepy. The show does a good job of being poignant yet ridiculous. Glad the pilot was a fluke as it shows Harmon isn't a one-hit wonder with Community.

"I wish that gun was my penis."

"If it were I'd be Hemingway."

"I don't get it and I don't give a damn."

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I thought the most recent episode was a lot of fun, I liked that the commercials were very obviously animated from improvised bits. Nice callback to an earlier episode too.

I liked it a lot more than the sex-robot one, which was a bit crazy in terms of continuity but also rather cliche in terms of humor.

I take we were supposed to pretend the whole thing with Morty having a son never happened once the episode ended?

eta:

Infinite TV was much better as it kept up the weirdness and family drama of the better episodes, touched on Morty and Rick being dead, and rounded the whole thing out with some strangely fitting romantic comedy vibes.

Morty's son could still be in play if they feel like bringing it back, he left and said he would see his dad when he needed money or whatever, presumably they could devise a story wherein he returns. This episode was really the first to establish continuity by referencing the graves out back (also Gazorpazorp), otherwise everything so far could have been completely stand alone adventures.

DId you guys notice the GOT reference in the latest episode? The family are flicking channels at around the 2 minute mark on a TV that picks up alternate reality stations and there is a flicker of a show in which Tyrion Lannister is the double man.

I guess the alternate reality is one in which dwarfism is normal

Welp I'm caught up now, I think.

Something Ricked was awesome. Raising Gazorpazorp was merely decent, nothing special. Now, Rixty Minutes was amazing... definitely the best episode so far IYAM. I kept thinking "okay, this random bullshit on TV gag is going to get boring now..." but that was always when they came up with something even more hilarious. I couldn't stop laughing, and it was 4 in the morning so I think I woke some people up.

In terms of sheer quality I'm tempted to rank this as the second best Adult Swim show, behind The Boondocks. Don't get me wrong, I love shows like Aqua Teen, Sealab, 12 oz Mouse, etc. and those are influential classics in their own right. But I see that as more of a strict niche thing, The Boondocks you could actually air on another network and I think Rick and Morty might be approaching that as well. Too early to tell but I think it's promising.

Archived