which is the most tragic character of the series?

Lord Warwyck

Most tragic in the non greek tragedy definition?

The Unsulllied in general

Oh, good point. What happens to them is just awful. They have the worst years of their lives, but hey........they get a puppy. OOPS

By non Greek standards, I might also have to go with Jeyne Poole, on top of everything else mentioned in this thread, let's not forget that it seems GRRM could not resist maiming her in a physical way that could no longer be covered, it seems she may lose the tip or part of her nose? What is it with him and noses, I've been wondering this since the 80's and the bit character of No-Nose in Fevre Dream? :dunno:

Good choice. Robert was a man who other people's choices and actions made him to act the way he did

Now Robert wasn't responsible for his actions?

And no, Robert was a man who had many choices more than a lot of people it's not anybody's fault that his life turned out to be such a useless mess.

Nobody's mentioned Puddles?

Seriously, though, I think Viserys and Joff are tragic figures, though I hate 'em both as much as I can seeing that they're characters in a story. To a large extent they're victims of their circumstances. Viserys lacks the strength of character to overcome his while Joff is a surrogate for his mother's twisted dreams of power.

Nobody's mentioned Puddles?

Seriously, though, I think Viserys and Joff are tragic figures, though I hate 'em both as much as I can seeing that they're characters in a story. To a large extent they're victims of their circumstances. Viserys lacks the strength of character to overcome his while Joff is a surrogate for his mother's twisted dreams of power.

While Joffrey's existence and character may be sad, his life is NOT tragic, he does pretty much exactly what he wants and nothing more his entire life and gets away with it, then he dies. Hardly tragic.

Now Robert wasn't responsible for his actions?

And no, Robert was a man who had many choices more than a lot of people it's not anybody's fault that his life turned out to be such a useless mess.

Did Robert kidnapped Lyanna creating a chain of reaction that caused the war? I don't think so.

While Joffrey's existence and character may be sad, his life is NOT tragic, he does pretty much exactly what he wants and nothing more his entire life and gets away with it, then he dies. Hardly tragic.

The tragedy is that he could have been a decent person, and even king, but was shaped into being a total shit by his twisted mother living her ambitions through him.

Did Robert kidnapped Lyanna creating a chain of reaction that caused the war? I don't think so.

Honestly so what that Lyanna was kidnapped.

Everybody moved on from that even her family who are the only ones that deserved to grieve for her, Robert never even knew her.

It's nobody fault that Robert couldn't move away from his delusions of a girl who probably ran off with some guy and didn't want him anyway.

Rhaegar died and Robert's dynasty established, nobody but Robert is the cause for whatever problems he had.

Anyways there is nothing to say Robert would not have acted the same he did with Cersei as with Lyanna

The tragedy is that he could have been a decent person, and even king, but was shaped into being a total shit by his twisted mother living her ambitions through him.

Yea I understand what you mean, but you can hardly say that his LIFE has been tragic (for himself) he's had nothing but his way all his life.

Which has nothing to do with whether or not he's a tragic figure. The only tragedy in Good King Bob's life is his marriage to Cersei.

No it has. When Lyanna died he lost a part of himself and was dragged in a position that "killed" him. He wasn't a man who wanted to rule, all he wanted was fighting and having a good life with Lyanna. After her death, as I see it, he felt into depression which turned into atypical depression.

Cat. Her father had been ill for years and died, she became distant and unfamiliar with her sister. She had all her children die (or she thought she did) except for one, who was forced into marriage to the man whom she believed to be the one behind one of her son's assassination attempt. She had to watch and follow her 'last living' son into war and then was imprisoned—by that son—for trying to free her daughters. Then she sees that son murdered during her brothers wedding.

What a tragic life for a mother.

Then, to top it off, she had to live with Jon (whom she views as a walking insult to her).

No it has. When Lyanna died he lost a part of himself and was dragged in a position that "killed" him. He wasn't a man who wanted to rule, all he wanted was fighting and having a good life with Lyanna. After her death, as I see it, he felt into depression which turned into atypical depression.

When was Robert dragged into a position he didn't want?

Seriously I love the fact that people try to act like a fierce warrior who just overthrew a dynasty had no choice in taking a throne, like a bunch of people threw a crown on his head and tied him in a chair and claimed him King despite his protest.

And Ned seemed more depressed about Lyanna than Robert ever did yet he continued to do his duty to the people of the North and had a great reign and lived a great life.

Seriously I love the fact that people try to act like a fierce warrior who just overthrew a dynasty had no choice in taking a throne, like a bunch of people threw a crown on his head and tied him in a chair and claimed him King despite his protest.

And Ned seemed more depressed about Lyanna than Robert ever did yet he continued to do his duty to the people of the North and had a great reign and lived a great life.

Did he started the war?No but he fought at the war because his life was at stake.

Ned lived a life with Cat who loved him.

And others made him King, it's clear

Damn you, Ned Stark. You and Jon Arryn, I loved you both. What have you done to me?

Well, the crown was not really the goal for Rob and Ned, it was just the result. The goal was to save their heads and get rid of the Targaryens. However, someone had to sit the throne and going off of blood; Robert was the closest (at least within the major-allied houses).

Lyanna was something shiny and new that the immature Robert desired. He didn't love her. He didn't even know her; they were barely acquainted. She certainly didn't love him. All he felt after she ran off with Rhaegar was that someone else took the new toy that he hadn't had a chance to play with. He spent a lifetime obsessing about being punked by Rhaegar.

He's an example of the philosophy that if all you have is a (war)hammer everything looks like a nail. He killed Rhaegar but wails that Rhaegar beat him. He pounds the crap out of Cersei but can't stop her from tormenting him emotionally. He's terminally immature, not tragic.

Lyanna was something shiny and new that the immature Robert desired. He didn't love her. He didn't even know her; they were barely acquainted. She certainly didn't love him. All he felt after she ran off with Rhaegar was that someone else took the new toy that he hadn't had a chance to play with. He spent a lifetime obsessing about being punked by Rhaegar.

He's an example of the philosophy that if all you have is a (war)hammer everything looks like a nail. He killed Rhaegar but wails that Rhaegar beat him. He pounds the crap out of Cersei but can't stop her from tormenting him emotionally. He's terminally immature, not tragic.

that 2nd to last sentence. Sounds so wrong in context <_<

Since we don't have Robert's PoV I will believe what he says and what he says is that in his heart and in his head he love Lyanna.

He said that Rhaegar beated him because now Rhaegar has Lyanna and he is stuck with Cersei, which was JonA's mistake.

Archived