Tyrion's revenge on Jaime

complexphoenix

After Jaime tells Tyrion the truth about Tysha, Tyrion is wroth and vows revenge against Jaime. It's quite understandable, even though Tywin was the really guilty party; Jaime's lie was crucial to severing one of only two healthy loving relationships that Tyrion has ever enjoyed and condemned him to a lifetime of festering emotional turmoil.

But Tyrion gets his revenge, and then some, and very quickly - in less than an hour, he severs all three of the relationships that matter most to Jaime.

Recall in ACOK, Jaime asks Catelyn if his kin still live. When she tells him Stafford is dead, he is unconcerned; "It's Cersei and Tyrion who concern me. As well as my lord father." Those are the people who matter to him: Cersei, Tyrion, and Tywin.

Tyrion deals a slow-but-mortal wound to Jaime's relationship with Cersei in a single sentence: "Cersei is a lying whore, she's been fucking Lancel and Osmund Kettleblack and probably Moon Boy for all I know."

He severs his own relationship with Jaime in two sentences: "And I am the monster they all say I am. Yes, I killed your vile son."

And he ends Jaime's relationship with Tywin forever by killing him.

So Jaime took 50% of Tyrion's happiness, and Tyrion took 100% of his. Tywin writ small, indeed, at least where retribution is concerned.

I feel like Jaime had already been through a separation with Tywin ('I have no father', he thought in a POV) and with Cersei as well, prior to that point.

I mean, obviously after Tyrion said/did those things it was more irreparable but. Jaime was heading away from both of them anyway.

Tyrion is the most forgiving character in the novels. He helps Bran even after he's insulted by Robb (the special saddle blueprints). He is kind to Sansa in spite of her being mean to him in return and in spite of everything that her family has put him through -- being one of the few major characters who doesn't place wholesale blame on people for mere family membership. He let's go of his grudge against Penny for the part that she played in his humiliation. He even rescues Jorah Mormont from being fighting pit fodder when he goes on sale as a slave.

Tyrion's three top qualities are empathy, resilience, and cleverness. He'll make amends with Jaime.

Tyrion is the most forgiving character in the novels. He helps Bran even after he's insulted by Robb (the special saddle blueprints). He is king to Sansa in spite of her being mean to him in return and in spite of everything that her family has put him through -- being one of the few major characters who doesn't place wholesale blame on people for mere family membership. He let's go of his grudge against Penny for the part that she played in his humiliation. He even rescues Jorah Mormont from being fighting pit fodder when he goes on sale as a slave.

Tyrion's three top qualities are empathy, resilience, and cleverness. He'll make amends with Jaime.

Very true. I really hope this is the case.

Tyrion is the most forgiving character in the novels. He helps Bran even after he's insulted by Robb (the special saddle blueprints). He is king to Sansa in spite of her being mean to him in return and in spite of everything that her family has put him through -- being one of the few major characters who doesn't place wholesale blame on people for mere family membership. He let's go of his grudge against Penny for the part that she played in his humiliation. He even rescues Jorah Mormont from being fighting pit fodder when he goes on sale as a slave.

Kem liked that. “Singer’s stew. I’ll ask for that next time I get back to Flea Bottom. What do you miss, Halfman?”

Jaime, thought Tyrion.

I think he already has

After Jaime tells Tyrion the truth about Tysha, Tyrion is wroth and vows revenge against Jaime. It's quite understandable, even though Tywin was the really guilty party; Jaime's lie was crucial to severing one of only two healthy loving relationships that Tyrion has ever enjoyed and condemned him to a lifetime of festering emotional turmoil.

But Tyrion gets his revenge, and then some, and very quickly - in less than an hour, he severs all three of the relationships that matter most to Jaime.

Recall in ACOK, Jaime asks Catelyn if his kin still live. When she tells him Stafford is dead, he is unconcerned; "It's Cersei and Tyrion who concern me. As well as my lord father." Those are the people who matter to him: Cersei, Tyrion, and Tywin.

Tyrion deals a slow-but-mortal wound to Jaime's relationship with Cersei in a single sentence: "Cersei is a lying whore, she's been fucking Lancel and Osmund Kettleblack and probably Moon Boy for all I know."

He severs his own relationship with Jaime in two sentences: "And I am the monster they all say I am. Yes, I killed your vile son."

And he ends Jaime's relationship with Tywin forever by killing him.

So Jaime took 50% of Tyrion's happiness, and Tyrion took 100% of his. Tywin writ small, indeed, at least where retribution is concerned.

If anything Jaime destroyed their relationship by telling Tyrion the lie in the first place, and continuing to lie for decades. So that'd be 2 for 2.

Secondly, Tyrion tells Jaime the truth about Jaime's partner as soon as he sees Jaime again after learning said truths about Cersei. It was Cersei herself who broke Jaime's relationship with her by doing said acts. So that's 2(Jaime destroyed) for 1(Tyrion killed Tywin)

Thirdly, Tyrion warned Tywin he would shoot him. It was Tywin's own continued scorn for Tyrion that caused his own death, coupled with his generic callousness and ruthlessness that made him worth killing. So again it was Tywin himself who broke Jaime's relationship. So that's 2 for 0.

Basically Jaime had chosen bad people to form connections to, even if they were his family, and he destroyed his own relationship with the one (Tyrion) who was worth anything.

I remember Jamie thinking about what Tyrion said (the Joffrey killing part) multiple times and he is not entirely convinced that Tyrion was serious, and suspects that he only said it in anger to hurt him.

Tyrion was thinking about it and didn't he consider that it was a mistake lying, or at least felt some guilt?

Those 2 things give hope for a future reconciliation in my opinion.

Yeah, Jaime didn't need Tyrion to damage his relationships with Cersei and Tywin. Jaime damaged his relationship with Tywin on his own when he refused to leave the KG to become heir of Casterly Rock. Jaime chose to disobey his father and to stay true to himself. Thereafter, Tywin tells him he is not his son anymore. And frankly, when Jaime comes back from Harrenhal with a severed sword hand, he is starting to reject Cersei all by himself because he notices how vain she is. He notices that, in comparison to Brienne, Cersei isn't the person he thought she was.

So I think Tyrion made these cuts deeper than they were, but Jaime's relationships with Cersei and Tywin were already pretty affected before that. And tbh, I think Tyrion did a great service to Jaime by telling him Cersei was a lying whore.

I think the brothers forgave each other deep down and still love each other, but I believe they've gone too far to be able to reconcile. As far as we know, Tyrion is going to support the Targaryen restoration and that is going to cause great harm to his family. Tyrion is clearly in the other camp right now and he has already been shaking Tommen's reign by talking Aegon into landing in Westeros. And I doubt the Targaryen loyalists will leave Tommen and Myrcella untouched, and as much as I can imagine Jaime forgiving Tyrion for the demise of Tywin and Cersei (by not answering her call for his help, Jaime has pretty much already let her down), he can surely not forgive the death of his remaining children (as much as he didn't care about Joffrey, he seems to be growing more fond of Tommen)

Tyrion is the most forgiving character in the novels. He helps Bran even after he's insulted by Robb (the special saddle blueprints). He is kind to Sansa in spite of her being mean to him in return and in spite of everything that her family has put him through -- being one of the few major characters who doesn't place wholesale blame on people for mere family membership. He let's go of his grudge against Penny for the part that she played in his humiliation. He even rescues Jorah Mormont from being fighting pit fodder when he goes on sale as a slave.

I agree to a certain extend, but there are things Tyrion does NOT forgive...see Shae, see his revenge on Pycelle for betraying him etc...and I doubt that he will forgive Jaime about his one and only love Tysha

the name lannister means nothing to tyrion now

He still cares.

"And you had best be careful what you say of my family, magister. Kinslayer or no, I am a lion still." -ADWD

I agree to a certain extend, but there are things Tyrion does NOT forgive...see Shae, see his revenge on Pycelle for betraying him etc...and I doubt that he will forgive Jaime about his one and only love Tysha

If Tyrion could forgive anyone, it would be Jaime. The love between them is greater than the hate.

Archived