Dread Empire's Fall

Switchback the Second

Any thoughts? I'm trying to find a decent, complete sic-fi series to get into, and this seems like a contender. I'm not particularly interested in the "hard scifi" bits, though not particularly opposed either. Something like 'Alien' is what I'm genuinely interested in though, meaning a backdrop of far space and alien fucks, but at the heart a drama/thiller set against that versus a drama/thriller that only exists to talk about the backdrop.

If that makes sense...

Its an OK'ish series in the "Enigmatic alien overlords arrive and setup aristocratic type of society with peerage and nobility" trope.

World building is similar to "The crown jewels" by the same author, but instead of satire he's trying for a more serious tone.

Good filler type space opera, its not Revelation Space or Dune, but better then Lost Fleet type stuff

I like Dread Empire Falls but given what you are looking for I think Scott Westerfield's The Risen Empire dualogy is a better choice. Also Stephen Donaldson's The Gap series is awesome (first book has some very difficult slash traumatic parts and is not at all like the rest of the series).

I liked it quite a bit when I read it several years ago. I agree with the recommendation of Scott Westerfeld's The Risen Empire/The Killing of Worlds - although, it's all humans no aliens, iirc. Another option would be Tobias Buckell's Xenowealth novels beginning with Crystal Rain. It's very similar to Dread Empire Falls. Most definitely Corey's The Expanse. And, of course, if you haven't read them you need to read Bujold's Vorkosigan books, need.

I have read everything of Peter F Hamiltons and some of his stuff is great. Commonwealth and Night Dawn series were both good.

The Lois Bujold Vorkosigan stuff is also good - but does have a few weak books.

Recently I also read The Shoal Sequence - again I found these an enjoyable series.

Archived