Davos Seaworth is a terrible father. Perhaps the worst in the series.

Bronn Urgandy

Wait, you know who Papa Walton is? (G'night JonSnow-boy, G'night Margaery-Ellen, G'night Jaime-Bob)

I would have gone with something more contemporary like "Davos's remaining kids are going to have more daddy-issues than a character in LOST."

And please, please , please, nobody start slagging on LOST - I happen to love the show.

• 3 weeks later...

Wait, you know who Papa Walton is? (G'night JonSnow-boy, G'night Margaery-Ellen, G'night Jaime-Bob)

I would have gone with something more contemporary like "Davos's remaining kids are going to have more daddy-issues than a character in LOST."

And please, please , please, nobody start slagging on LOST - I happen to love the show.

Waltons were a bit before my time, yet somehow I was subjected to them as a child all the same. Odd really, but I think its a fitting comparison.

wow couldn't agree less with this.

also the thing about him going to kill melisandre. she was burning people just bc they didn't accept her gd. davos was on a mission to save people.

his kids can wait for him a few more days if it means davos saving stannis and any more bloodshed.

hes not a great father but I don't think I would ever say he is bad. relative to the book.

wow couldn't agree less with this.

also the thing about him going to kill melisandre. she was burning people just bc they didn't accept her gd. davos was on a mission to save people.

his kids can wait for him a few more days if it means davos saving stannis and any more bloodshed.

hes not a great father but I don't think I would ever say he is bad. relative to the book.

It's a troll/for fun thread my friend, don't worry. Nobody with a normally functioning brain really thinks Davos is a bad father (for the setting).

TL;DR you lost me at the mention of Janos Slynt.

Yet I'd say he's more like the worst husband ever; I mean, he has seven children (all boys at that) and also leaves the woman attending the lands, so she's both the milkcow and the shepherd dog. I wonder if she hasn't gone nuts while Davos is out there living grand and large.

Such a troll post. Davos is a good father, as good as Ned. This series has some really shit fathers, the most notorious being Lord Tywin, Randyll Tarly, and Walder Frey. Imagine being one of Walder Frey's kids...you're completely expendable! Then there's Robert...while he's not an evil person like the fathers I just named, he wasn't father of the year material either, although I think he would have been a GREAT father if Lyanna had lived or if Cersei had given him real trueborn sons. But at least Robert made sure his bastards were provided for. Jamie Lannister is the poster definition of a shit father. Then you have you have Hoster Tully...IMO, he's a really shady character. It's alluded that he was a distant father, and also that he did some pretty heinous stuff to Lysa Tully and is the reason she was so psychologically damaged.

The WORST father, though...Roose Bolton, by a mile. Raising the bastard that murdered his brother and encouraging Ramsay in all of his cruel depravities...it's chilling. He makes Tywin look like #1 dad.

Davos is as good a father as a man of duty can be expected to be...two of his sons became amazing sailors, he secured a future for the other as a knight. His duty is to Stannis, so it is not his fault that he doesn't have more time for them.

You know, I just might have to re-read all of Davos' chapters. With my new insight concerning his dastardly patriarchal activies and sacrifices, I will be far less judgemental in my outlook. See, I first thought that Davos resemble Ned in spirit, and Ned was the closest thing we had for a hero, ergo, Davos became the new Ned. How wrong could I have been?!?!

So far on my lists of judgement list that need revision:

Was good on first read ... is really rather terrible when regarded in a new light

Ned

Davos

Was bad ... now appears to be more worthy with further indepth reads:

Roose

Craster

Randyl Tarly

Definitely should not have children with this new knowledge in hand:

Brienne

Benjen

Makes me wonder if I'd gotten characters such as Qyburn messed up due to my prejudices, as well. I'm so horribly ashamed of myself right now.

Thank goodness for posters such as Bronn Urgandy et al on this thread for tearing off my 'rose-tinted glasses'.

Bless you, BU et al! :)

Davos is Ned with a dash of scoundrel.

Archived