Sansa's Opening Move

Lady Howell

To answer the question of what she would do with control of the Vale; probably nothing.

Well, not "nothing", but there is nothing in her character to indicate any desire to go a'conquering. Her 20,000 men would probably be used to keep herself safe, the only thing I can imagine would tempt her into action is if she found out Tommen was alive and needed her help. Otherwise, she has no taste for war or knowledge of tactics or battle strategy, there would be no reason for her to leave the Vale of Arryn.

Wait, why Tommen? You mean one of her brothers, right?

Also, I respect that opinion, though considering the times Westeros is in, she'll have to take some sort of action eventually. Even if it's only sending troops to the Wall for Jon or Stannis.

Oops.

Yeah, I totally meant Rickon.

And it is possible that Sansa might send troops in support of Jon or Stannis, more likely Jon.

I suppose if Jon told her how dire the situation was, she might even be tempted to send a large force but I don't think she would want to go there herself. Unless it was to see Jon again, who she is stated to miss.

I say she orders a batch of lemoncakes and becomes LF's bed warmer.

Hey what the hell man, lemons are clearly out of season. She will have to get by with just plain old cakes, maybe even pies. But not fruit pies, like chocolate cream pie. Oh and bread pudding, and custard, there not pies but they should be able to make them. Now I am hungry for pie, thanks a lot.

With 20,000 troops, Sansa should retake Winterfell if people want to take her seriously. And the chances of people taking her seriously are slim, but anything is possible when your going insane waiting for TWoW.

May I remind you not to make stupid comments that promote hostility and confusion? Goodbye.

Just my opinion, its actually justifiable based on text, if it makes you hostile or confused you are taking yourself too seriously... Later.

Yes, but considering winter's last years in this world and they are in the mountains where I'm sure not too many farms are around, I doubt there isn't a single way out. Even if it's some backwoods path that only farmer's use, there has to be some way that they could get emergency rations and food in, and keep up whatever trade they have going on there.

If only in case of emergencies, which are sure to happen in five year long winters.

I was not suggesting they were in total isolation, they have trade through their seaports, but what I am suggesting is that I see no logistics to support that they can move an army of that size out of the Vale under current weather conditions

I was not suggesting they were in total isolation, they have trade through their seaports, but what I am suggesting is that I see no logistics to support that they can move an army of that size out of the Vale under current weather conditions

I don't see why not, their army would be well provisioned and last I checked, it was still autumn throughout most of the Vale. Also, they have plenty of ships with a large port.

The Vale has remained out of any and all conflicts since the story began. Sending troops in any direction is a huge step no matter who is in control. It's not something to be taken lightly.

I seriously doubt with everything that's happening and is about to happen in Westeros that regardless of whose in control of it that the Vale will be able to stay out of conflict for much longer. It just seems impossible at this point.

I don't see why not, their army would be well provisioned and last I checked, it was still autumn throughout most of the Vale. Also, they have plenty of ships with a large port.

I know they can feed 20,000 troops while they are in the Vale

However there is nothing to suggest, and at best pure speculation, that the Vale has enough ships to move an army the size of 20,000 with all its provisions and supplies.

I know they can feed 20,000 troops while they are in the Vale

However there is nothing to suggest, and at best pure speculation, that the Vale has enough ships to move an army the size of 20,000 with all its provisions and supplies.

You know, now that I think about it, wasn't Robert's rebellion technically in Winter, right on the cusp of Spring yes, but currently Westeros is just starting winter, hardly out of autumn in some places. Those should be about the same conditions, right?

So if the Vale forces could have been effectively marched or moved by sea then, what's stopping them now?

You know, now that I think about it, wasn't Robert's rebellion technically in Winter, right on the cusp of Spring yes, but currently Westeros is just starting winter, hardly out of autumn in some places. Those should be about the same conditions, right?

So if the Vale forces could have been effectively marched or moved by sea then, what's stopping them now?

it is already stated the high road is closed due to snow. There was no blizzard during the battle of the Trident

Well whatever, military plans, Sansa may or may not commit to in the future, her opening move has to be finding allies in the Vale; I suspect Miranda, Mya, Luthor, and Bronze Yohn are going to be where she starts reaching out.

Yeah, me too. I also think that somehow Jaime and/or Brienne will have a hand in Sansa's theoretical rise to power.

Wait, why Tommen? You mean one of her brothers, right?

Also, I respect that opinion, though considering the times Westeros is in, she'll have to take some sort of action eventually. Even if it's only sending troops to the Wall for Jon or Stannis.

Oh, but didn't you hear her destiny is to sit in her room eating lemoncakes, pinning her heart out for Aemon The Dragon Knight to come to her rescue.

How dare anyone speculate that her future might be different than that. No exploration of her different possible paths are necessary, apparently. Because you know every little silly notion you have at 11 or 12 years of age sets your destiny in stone.

I am not sure where GRRM is going with her character. But, since we know that Sansa isn't going to be exactly like General Feldmarschall Dany von Stormborn, I guess any speculation that Sansa isn't going to end up as LF's pawn and little sex toy is not legitimate.

Also, yeah, I guess Sansa would never play a part in sending the Vale forces anywhere because obviously that would require her to stand in front of Vale troops first sergeant style and then shout "company port arms, company order arms, company right shoulder arms, company right face, company forward march" and then personally march of them off to battle herself.

And I guess what we have also learned is that military decision making is never linked to policy decision making. Apparently, they are just made in complete isolation from political considerations.

Oh, but didn't you hear her destiny is to sit in her room eating lemoncakes, pinning her heart out for Aemon The Dragon Knight to come to her rescue.

How dare anyone speculate that her future might be different than that. No exploration of her different possible paths are necessary, apparently. Because you know every little silly notion you have at 11 or 12 years of age sets your destiny in stone.

I am not sure where GRRM is going with her character. But, since we know that Sansa isn't going to be exactly like General Feldmarschall Dany von Stormborn, I guess any speculation that Sansa isn't going to end up as LF's pawn and little sex toy is not legitimate.

Also, yeah, I guess Sansa would never play a part in sending the Vale forces anywhere because obviously that would require her to stand in front of Vale troops first sergeant style and then shout "company port arms, company order arms, company right shoulder arms, company right face, company forward march" and then personally march of them off to battle herself.

And I guess what we have also learned is that military decision making is never linked to policy decision making. Apparently, they are just made in complete isolation from political considerations.

Is this aimed at me because if you look at previous posts of mine, I have very much been on the side of Sansa making strides as a character to overcome LF and take control of her own destiny, and even suggested in my first post a very large, ambitious campaign that she might take up hypothetically when she came into power. I think she would be capable of it, too. That post was made in reference to the fact that someone else said they thought she might just sit and the Vale and do nothing once she got power (not nothing, but more like just hold her position and not make any grabs for more power). I didn't want to start another flame war against Sansa and her abilities to lead, so I worded it as carefully as possible so not to ignite for criticism of Sansa.

Is this aimed at me because if you look at previous posts of mine, I have very much been on the side of Sansa making strides as a character to overcome LF and take control of her own destiny, and even suggested in my first post a very large, ambitious campaign that she might take up hypothetically when she came into power. I think she would be capable of it, too. That post was made in reference to the fact that someone else said they thought she might just sit and the Vale and do nothing once she got power (not nothing, but more like just hold her position and not make any grabs for more power). I didn't want to start another flame war against Sansa and her abilities to lead, so I worded it as carefully as possible so not to ignite for criticism of Sansa.

No, it wasn't aimed at you. I was supporting you. I am sorry if you took any other way.

No, it wasn't aimed at you. I was supporting you. Sorry, if you took any other way.

It's okay, I was just confused because you were quoting me specifically. I thought I said something wrong or insulting. I was legitimately confused. But thank you for supporting me, Gimlet!! :)

well between the books and show and the show creators saying her wardrobe is meaningful I say answers are in the texts and below. ​Sansa is shown in the books to wear dragonflies accessory and in the show they also add butterflies.

Butterfly Symbolism

What is the meaning of the butterfly? This animal totem is primarily associated with symbolism of change and transformation.

• Powerful transformation, metamorphosis in your life, personality

Moving through different life cycles

Renewal, rebirth

Lightness of being, playfulness

Elevation from earthly matters, tuning into emotional or spiritual

The world of the soul, the psyche

A secondary meaning of the butterfly is about finding joy in life and lightness of being.

Dragonfly Meaning

The dragonfly is generally associated with the symbolic meaning of transformation. Here are common meanings for this animal totem:

• Change and transformation

Adaptability

Joy, lightness of being

Symbol of the realm of emotions, invitation to dive deeper into your feeling

Being on the lookout for illusions and deceits, whether are external or personal

Connection with nature’s spirits, fairies realms

well between the books and show and the show creators saying her wardrobe is meaningful I say answers are in the texts and below. ​Sansa is shown in the books to wear dragonflies accessory and in the show they also add butterflies.

Butterfly Symbolism

What is the meaning of the butterfly? This animal totem is primarily associated with symbolism of change and transformation.

• Powerful transformation, metamorphosis in your life, personality

Moving through different life cycles

Renewal, rebirth

Lightness of being, playfulness

Elevation from earthly matters, tuning into emotional or spiritual

The world of the soul, the psyche

A secondary meaning of the butterfly is about finding joy in life and lightness of being.

Dragonfly Meaning

The dragonfly is generally associated with the symbolic meaning of transformation. Here are common meanings for this animal totem:

• Change and transformation

Adaptability

Joy, lightness of being

Symbol of the realm of emotions, invitation to dive deeper into your feeling

Being on the lookout for illusions and deceits, whether are external or personal

Connection with nature’s spirits, fairies realms

So, it looks like a big transformation is in her future

Archived