Boarders writing a novel, Part 11

First of My Name

Hey guys. I've been writing a book for quite a while (a lowish fantasy novel) but for some reason I've never gotten into posting in this thread. I have a big problem with keeping the engine running so to speak, I can go long stretches without writing and I have trouble finding the time to write. So I was wondering how you guys manage time/get past writers block etc. as well as just generally saying hey.

Hey guys. I've been writing a book for quite a while (a lowish fantasy novel) but for some reason I've never gotten into posting in this thread. I have a big problem with keeping the engine running so to speak, I can go long stretches without writing and I have trouble finding the time to write. So I was wondering how you guys manage time/get past writers block etc. as well as just generally saying hey.

I know the feeling. What's worked for me is to work on two projects simultaneously (provided you have more than one idea). Working on one thing for months wears me out and having a very different alternative project keeps me busy and refreshed.

My two current projects are:

1. A sequel to my first released book. A somewhat bleak revenge story with elements from Samurai and Western stories.

2. A magic-less pirate fantasy set in an 18th century style world with a few differences. It's something of a throwback to the swashbuckling and adventure that was in the Pirate genre before the 'Pirates of the Caribbean' films.

The two are different enough that it's hard for me to get bored.

My advice boils down to this. Do you have another story idea than your "main" one? If you find yourself in a grind, step away temporarily and develop another one of your ideas.

Tomorrow there's a Twitter pitching contest for fantasy and science fiction writers with Twitter concerts. Warning, it's a bitch to have a 144 character pitch complete with relevant hashtags.

http://dankoboldt.com/sffpit/

Enterprising demon finds way to ensnare the souls of Humanity by turning their technology against them. Only one man can stop him. #SFFpit

Archived