Edric Dayne gets Dawn

fabio012

Who'd think Jon a great swordsman? Constantly beaten by Iron Emmett and humiliated by Mance, and he has had as much training and experience as anyone else his age.

Jaime's great feat as a squire was at the age of 15, Barristan's was at 16. Quite a difference from 13, and they're both way off the curve (something little Ned might be too, but is statistically unlikely).

Dawn might be given to a "true knight" type, sure enough. Though both Swords of the Morning we've heard of were among the greatest warriors of their time, and we know a true knight type doesn't necessarily have skill at arms. Could be it's a more mythical thing, Excalibur-like, which actually makes sense since otherwise who'd decided who gets Dawn? Maybe Ned can retrieve it and claim the title, but at 13 what can he do with it?

Jon is a competent fighter, but he does not seem to have the natural talent which is why he constantly tries to better himself. Iron Emmett and Mance are both older, with more fighting experience and natural talent IMO. Concerning Dawn, I believe that the sword somehow has some supernatural aspect that allows the person wielding the sword added speed or strength, thus making a competent fighter such as Ned Dayne or Jon a skillful fighter. Arthur Dayne with Dawn was just deadly, period...

If Gerold Dayne ended up with the sword, I think it's likely to be a "theft" instead of being declared the legitimate bearer of Dawn. We've already seen that Darkstar has a chip on his shoulder when it comes to Arthur, and that he thinks pretty highly of himself. It's not that much of a leap to think that he might view himself as being entitled to wield Dawn without going through whatever process usually confirms the holder of the Sword of the Morning's office.

If Dawn comes into play this way, I don't think Gerold will be the sword's last bearer, but it may provide an opportunity for the weapon to get into circulation and into the hands of a more worthy character.

• 1 month later...

Kinda off topic, but what if Darkstar is on his way to Starfall to steal Dawn and actually manages to get it. Then when Dany (finally) lands in Westeros she lands in Dorne and he slays one of her dragons. Then Dany doesn't wait to find out any information about Darkstar and thinks its an attack by Dorne (in revenge on what happened to Quentyn). Then its Dany vs Dorne rather than the previously thought alliance. Then open warfare would happen in Dorne and Arianne already feels iffy about Dany so she sides with fAegon since Dorne is small in numbers and their army marches to Dorne.

Kinda off topic, but what if Darkstar is on his way to Starfall to steal Dawn and actually manages to get it. Then when Dany (finally) lands in Westeros she lands in Dorne and he slays one of her dragons. Then Dany doesn't wait to find out any information about Darkstar and thinks its an attack by Dorne (in revenge on what happened to Quentyn). Then its Dany vs Dorne rather than the previously thought alliance. Then open warfare would happen in Dorne and Arianne already feels iffy about Dany so she sides with fAegon since Dorne is small in numbers and their army marches to Dorne.

You know how bloody hard it is to kill one of those things?

Who'd think Jon a great swordsman? Constantly beaten by Iron Emmett and humiliated by Mance, and he has had as much training and experience as anyone else his age.

Jaime's great feat as a squire was at the age of 15, Barristan's was at 16. Quite a difference from 13, and they're both way off the curve (something little Ned might be too, but is statistically unlikely).

Dawn might be given to a "true knight" type, sure enough. Though both Swords of the Morning we've heard of were among the greatest warriors of their time, and we know a true knight type doesn't necessarily have skill at arms. Could be it's a more mythical thing, Excalibur-like, which actually makes sense since otherwise who'd decided who gets Dawn? Maybe Ned can retrieve it and claim the title, but at 13 what can he do with it?

Didn't Jon beat down Iron Emmett in a rage when they were sparing in ASOS or ADWD. I think it's stated that Jon is on par with Iron Emm. As for Mance, even the Halfhand says he was the best Ranger of his time.

As for Dawn, I think lil' Ned will pry it from Darkstar's cold, dead hands. I have no ideas how though.

Edric Dayne will get Dawn when he pries it out of Darkstar's cold dead hand. Not before.

Darkstar will steal it and go on a rampage, infuriating and impaling people in equal numbers as the "Unworthy Wielder".

Sorry, but I've never really understood the giant fascination with Dawn as an object. I mean, I get that it's "a super cool sword that glows, like, so fucking awesomely," but I just don't understand why it's any better than Blackfyre, Dark Sister, Lady Forlorn, Ice, Longclaw, or any other ancestral blade.

Then again, one of the most mind-numbingly BAMF quotes in the series is about Dawn. "Then you shall have it, Ser."

Because if I'm recalling it correctly, the physical description we're given of Dawn strongly suggests it's not an ancestral Valyrian Steel sword (regardless of what Westerosi themselves might falsely assume in their ignorance), but something more like what The Others use.

How did The Daynes -- any humans, really -- end up with one of those as a family heirloom? THAT's the hook.

• 1 month later...

Darkstar will have Dawn, and I am almost certain he is Doran's or someone else (varys?) creature. How could he fail to kill an undefended littlegirl, unless hurting her was his only intention. His real motives are unknown. His assassination attemps was the preparation for something way bigger.

This is what I am going with for now, or at least the part about Darkstar actually working with Doran as a grass snake, and that his intention was to maim not kill. I would like to see Edric with the sword though.

I am also intrigued by the idea that fAegon is Ashara's son, and that HE might end up with Dawn.

As for Edric, I suspect he is on his way back to Dorne. His part with the Brotherhood ended with Beric's death. He was only there because he was his squire. His part now is related to Aegon's storyline.

I think Dawn is the original Lightbringer. This upcoming battle is called the Battle for the Dawn, and what is the dawn if not a light bringer? And no one ever talks about what happened to Azor Ahai's sword after his victory. Besides I feel like GRRM is rather spelling it out with the name itself, and the fact that Dawn is talked about being just as sharp as valyrian steel and being the only one of it's kind forged from a fallen star.. Surely an actual fallen star on mainland Westeros would have left rather a big noteworthy crater? Perhaps the 'star' was the final end of the Others that first time around. Annoying that Old Nan never did finish that story - I hope Bran looks into the trees to see how it went down.

On that basis I suspect that Lemore may actually be Ashara with some kind of glamour over her eyes and the Daynes have long been the custodians of the ancient sword. I don't know who will weild it - neither Aegon nor Dany have a valyrian blade do they? And Jon had that rather confusing dream about himself wearing armour made of black ice and weilding a red blade.. Brienne's newly painted sheild makes me wonder if she doesn't have a role in the story of Dawn also.

I think Dawn is the original Lightbringer. This upcoming battle is called the Battle for the Dawn, and what is the dawn if not a light bringer? And no one ever talks about what happened to Azor Ahai's sword after his victory. Besides I feel like GRRM is rather spelling it out with the name itself, and the fact that Dawn is talked about being just as sharp as valyrian steel and being the only one of it's kind forged from a fallen star.. Surely an actual fallen star on mainland Westeros would have left rather a big noteworthy crater? Perhaps the 'star' was the final end of the Others that first time around. Annoying that Old Nan never did finish that story - I hope Bran looks into the trees to see how it went down.

On that basis I suspect that Lemore may actually be Ashara with some kind of glamour over her eyes and the Daynes have long been the custodians of the ancient sword. I don't know who will weild it - neither Aegon nor Dany have a valyrian blade do they? And Jon had that rather confusing dream about himself wearing armour made of black ice and weilding a red blade.. Brienne's newly painted sheild makes me wonder if she doesn't have a role in the story of Dawn also.

no need for glamour. GRRM has not let us in at all on the colour of Lemore's eyes.

Dawn may be the original LB, but there will be a new LB this time around.

It's quite likely that Aegon would have access to valaryian Steel sword "Blackfyre" by way of Bittersteel/ The Golden Company...

As for Daenarys...I don't much see the point in giving her a sword at all.... If anything, she'd be heir to Dark Sister, the Targaryan blade.... but she's not a fighter, by any stretch. Frankly, it's also the major reason I simply cannot see Dany becoming AAR... because it would mean she'd have to transform from Dany, into Xena: Warrior Princess with a Lightsaber (Flaming sword).... Really hard to make that jump, imo.

Hmm maybe. I'm not sure they're going to want to give Aegon their precious sword, and I don't subscribe to the Aegon-is-Blackfyre theory as of yet. Dany? Well last we saw Dany was in the wilderness being reminded what she was - the dragons know but does she? I suspect fire and blood to come to the fore in her in the next book as she comes to terms with the killer aspect of her dragons.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm sure this has been discussed before. But what is everyone's take on Edric's name? Both Eddard and Rickard danced with Ashara at. Haranhall. Dont you think Edric has been named for Eddard and Rickard? And he is called Ned for short. Why would te Dayne's name their heir for someone who killed Arthur, the greatest knight ever and the heir to starfall?

I'm sure this has been discussed before. But what is everyone's take on Edric's name? Both Eddard and Rickard danced with Ashara at. Haranhall. Dont you think Edric has been named for Eddard and Rickard? And he is called Ned for short. Why would te Dayne's name their heir for someone who killed Arthur, the greatest knight ever and the heir to starfall?

Well he wasnt heir since he was kingsguard. But your question is explained if the H+A=M+J theory is 100% true.

I believe in Edric Dayne. I don't share the same Darkstar hate that a lot of people have, but if he ends up with Dawn (or at least doesn't lose it once he gets it), I think I'll burn the book vomit be very upset. I kind of love little Ned even though he was only in like one chapter. Who knows what constitutes becoming the SotM, but he seems to be everything Uncle Arthur supposedly was. Maybe even better since didn't he leave the Brotherhood when Lady Stoneheart showed up and started murdering everyone? Ser Arthur stood by and let his leader rape his wife and burn shit. Not that I don't dig Arthur, but... Anyway, I think Edric will swing in with Dawn and save the day and marry Sansa and be awesome.

Not that Arthur wouldn't have stood by while Aerys did that, but is it confirmed he was in KL when Aerys did that to Rickard and Brandon and Rhaella? He wasn't in KL the time with Chelsted, when Jaime and Jonothor allowed Aerys to rape Rhaella. The burning and raping seems to have started with Rickard, in the last months of Aerys' life. I don't remember when Arthur met up with Rhaegar, but if it was before the abduction, he would have been away for that stuff.

Archived