[BOOK SPOILERS] Tearjerking moments - Past & Future

drayrock

Throughout the series I feel as though many of the more emotionally raw moments were either cut or not emphasized as much as they could have been. Not everything but mostly those centering with the Starks.

Seeing the preview of Tyrion's teary eyes for Season 4 it got me to thinking, "What moments past and present could be or could have been heart grabbing moments for the actors to flex their acting muscles and shed a tear. Or perhaps just get a chance ot show some raw emotion if not tears.

Here are some of the past:
1. Jon and Robb's Final Goodbye
It is the start of the "snow melting in his hair" motif for Jon chapters (they at least go that right for us book nerds) and a HUGE moment. They definitely did it well as the two brother have a moment of being "men" who are to scared to have a proper good bye, but then think better of it and give a warm, strong embrace.

2. Robb putting Bran to Bed
This one got cut. It ocurrs after the fmaily has been dispatched to KL As a refresher, you have a whole Bran chapter about Robb the lord and then at the end there is a real tender moment where Robb puts Bran to bed and tells him it will be OK as he holds back a choked teary voice. Robb is both doing is big brotherly duty trying to make Bran feel better while opening up and showing his vulnerability. He too is overwhelmed and scared of the whole situation, no matter how good he puts on the Robb the Lord Facade. I can see why it got caught, great literary moment, somewhat hard to execute effectively without a slow build up and in one episode.

3. Robb Naming Jon Snow his Heir to Cat
This was also cut. It really could have been a great moment not for tears, but to show the true anger and painful disbelief that Robb feels when he says "Jon Snow would hurt no son of mine" in response to Cat's insinuations that Jon Snow could not be trusted as a regent to Robb's potential son.

This juxtaposed with Cat's utter surprise and equal disbelief that Robb does not see eye to eye on what she preceives as such an obvious precaution in noble families in this setting would have been a great dichotomy.

Future:
1. Jon Hearing of Robb's Death
Will Kit be up to the task to capture this moment? There wasn't one in the books but there should have been imo and they have to in the show. He really blew it with Ned's death and didn't show actual sorrow, just looked like a moody winey teen. Bring out the TEARS!

2. Yigrette's Death
Probably a more realistic time to see Jon get truly emotional. Let's hope he capitalizes on at least THIS. Although I care way less

3. Jon's goodbye to Sam
For the same reasons as Robb's "Snow melting in his hair" motif, this scene is a direct parallel in both diction in the books and probably in outcome. I doubt they'll see each other again. Let's make it REAL Kit. You're finally getting all this character growth you've been waiting for. Don't blow it.

4. Jaime's Reaction to Joff's Death
-Not teary but this could show some great emotionally charged action. How will he look in the moment?

5. Arya Leaving Needle
Yeah. Awesome, it represents so much.

Just to name a few....Add your own!

I'm waiting for:

1. Sansa being made into a bastard and hearing of Jon being alected Lord Commander.

2. YarAsha meeting Theon near Winterfell.

3. Jorah becoming a slave and his further wrecking.

4. Kevan being the only one mourning at Tywin's funeral.

Oberyn vs The Mountain will destroy my soul. I am expecting to cry myself to sleep after that episode. Tissue boxes will be ready.

Sansa's snow castle scene could also be really emotional if they do it right

I was disappointed they changed the scene when arya meets the guy from winterfell at the inn. her meeting the hound was cool, but the original scene ripped me apart.

Yes. That was back when I still had hope Arya was going to get back home, or at least to family. The reminiscing about Arya Underfoot, the good memories of Winterfell, and then boom, nope, not going home, being taken prisoner. I do understand that there was too much backstory to put that in the show.

Past tearjerking moments:

All of S1? Not really, but darn near close with the Starks. Realizing it's the last time these characters see each other and knowing what's coming. Big ones for me are Ned and Cat's kiss goodbye, Lady's death, Jon and Robb goodbye, of course Ned's death.

Future tearjerking moments:

-Oberyn's death

-Arya burying Needle

-The Hound's "death"

-Theon/AshYara meeting

-I *might* tear up on Cersei's behalf when Joff dies. I suspect Lena Headey will bring it for that scene.

-Sansa and snow Winterfell

-Ygritte's death

-Jon and Sam goodbye

-Bran's weirwood visions, especially when he sees Ned. I wonder if they'll be able to get Sean Bean back to film a scene? Would be even more effective than recycling a S1 scene. "Let them grow up as brothers".

Future (in addition to what's been mentioned above) :

- Brienne's fight at the inn (though I don't think she'll be as badly wounded as in the books) and subsequent LS encounter.

- Sansa having to deal with Pedofinger

- Arya becoming "no one"

- Lannister downfall - especially the Tyrion/Jaime strife.

- Bran in the cave

- Cersei's WOS

- Jon getting stabbed

- Everything Theon and Jeyne

I like all of these, I liked all the missing each other moments, which the show is largely bypassing. Death scenes are hard, Dany when Drogo died, can't even think about that. Ygritte dying will be hard, too. She seems pretty mad this season, but I want to see her cup his cheek like in the books. I'm trying to remember, did they talk about seeing a real castle on the show?

I was disappointed they changed the scene when arya meets the guy from winterfell at the inn. her meeting the hound was cool, but the original scene ripped me apart.

You're right, that was her going back to her old self, for just a moment, and you got to see all of this hope that she still had, that she'd been hiding.

I like all of these, I liked all the missing each other moments, which the show is largely bypassing. Death scenes are hard, Dany when Drogo died, can't even think about that. Ygritte dying will be hard, too. She seems pretty mad this season, but I want to see her cup his cheek like in the books. I'm trying to remember, did they talk about seeing a real castle on the show?

Yes, she mistakes a windmill for a castle.

The Lannister brothers' final exchange. Was gut wrenching in the books.

Arya recovering her sight.

Theon's return to Winterfell.

Pod's (almost) hanging.

Possibly Shae's testimony (although given what they've done with her to this point, they reserve the right to fuck that up).

Archived