Are Jaime's sins common knowledge?

JaegrM

Tyrion and Brienne both know about Bran. Brienne was listening when Jaime confessed to Catelyn, and Cersei told Tyrion after news arrived of Bran and Rickon's "deaths".

I expect that the killing of Jory and the other two greycloaks is common knowledge, since it happened in a public place and news of the incident would have spread very fast through KL. We rarely see it talked about because it isn't seen as a big deal compared to everything else he's done. All it did was confirm the smallfolks' preexisting assessment of his character - cruel, dishonorable and reckless.

Tyrion and Brienne both know about Bran. Brienne was listening when Jaime confessed to Catelyn, and Cersei told Tyrion after news arrived of Bran and Rickon's "deaths".

I expect that the killing of Jory and the other two greycloaks is common knowledge, since it happened in a public place and news of the incident would have spread very fast through KL. We rarely see it talked about because it isn't seen as a big deal compared to everything else he's done. All it did was confirm the smallfolks' preexisting assessment of his character - cruel, dishonorable and reckless.

If memory serves (could be wrong) wasn't Brienne outside the door to Jaime's cell making sure no one entered?

So she would not have heard.

It would have been widely known... but not so widely condemned.

Jaime attacking Hand, killing his men, breaking his leg and flying his duty at court to fight for his father would have been well-known as the start of War. But compare with the next move of the War - Tywin sending the Mountain to raid Riverlands. Many would have said that killing soldiers for something their master did was excusable compared to killing smallfolk, and Jaime would look respectable if only by comparison with Tywin, Gregor, Amory and Vargo.

Ned was not Hand at that point if I'm remembering correctly and was brutally accused of kidnapping someone of royal blood, Ned was asked to surrender, the Northmen bared arms, and were attacked. Ned Also attacked and his horse was killed and landed on him.

(We the readers know there was more to it than that, however in universe Ned would likely be viewed as the one who had done wrong, right?)

And as we've seen in ADWD The KG can be dispatched from KL to insure the safety of royal blood through less direct means than acting as a mere bodyguard.

Ned was not Hand at that point if I'm remembering correctly and was brutally accused of kidnapping someone of royal blood, Ned was asked to surrender, the Northmen bared arms, and were attacked. Ned Also attacked and his horse was killed and landed on him.

(We the readers know there was more to it than that, however in universe Ned would likely be viewed as the one who had done wrong, right?)

And as we've seen in ADWD The KG can be dispatched from KL to insure the safety of royal blood through less direct means than acting as a mere bodyguard.

Ned doesn't even use the word "arrested" when defending Cat's actions does he?

Doesn't he say something closer to "taken at my command" ?

accused of kidnapping someone of royal blood,..........The KG can be dispatched from KL to insure the safety of royal blood through less direct means than acting as a mere bodyguard.

Tyrion doesn't have royal blood, in how he is the Queen Consort's kin not the King Regent's kin. Simply, individuals with Royal blood would be Robert, Cersei, Joffrey, Myrcella, Tommen, and maybe Stannis and Renly if you are being generous.

If memory serves (could be wrong) wasn't Brienne outside the door to Jaime's cell making sure no one entered?

So she would not have heard.

In Jaime's first ASOS chapter, Brienne makes it clear that she knows about the twincest and about the flinging of Bran. So I think it's safe to say that she did, in fact, overhear the entire conversation.

Archived