Stannis isn't a religious zealot

AintNoStark

Stannis had no castle taken away from him, in how until Stannis recieved Dragonstone he never held any castle. Robert cannot restore something to Stannis that was never Stannis's in the first place.

Stannis held Storm's End in Robert's name, after which Robert took it from him and gave it to Renly, who subsequently held it in Robert's name.

Stannis held Storm's End in Robert's name, after which Robert took it from him and gave it to Renly, who subsequently held it in Robert's name.

Renly held it in his own right, unlike Stannis. However, thanks for admitting that Stannis never actually held any right to Storm's End thus it couldn't have been taken from him.

Renly held it in his own right, unlike Stannis. However, thanks for admitting that Stannis never actually held any right to Storm's End thus it couldn't have been taken from him.

Renly held it because Robert gave it to him, just as he had given it to Stannis to hold earlier.

No its not a strategy, I'm just simply acknowledging that the burden of quoting the text is on everybody but you apparently

I'm think we're at an impass here, but I am going to try one last time to help you realize that asking me for textual evidence in this situation is not applicable:

If I stated in a tread that Arryk & Erryk Redwyne were incestuous homosexual lovers, you could ask me for proof of that. I could not then turn around and ask you for proof that they are not. The burden of proof would be on me, not you. You could offer some counter to my claim (which I did) such as- Arryk was seen flirting with a girl, but you are not required to do so since you don't have to prove the absence of evidence of them being lovers. I can't insist you provide quotes from the book that prove they are not lovers if there are none.

There are no quotes to prove Robert wouldn't have executed Stannis. I never stated that to be a fact. I simply asked for evidence for your claim that Robert WOULD have executed Stannis. The burden of proof is on you. Antler's Fury at least gave a reasonable explanation for why Stannis felt in danger.

Renly held it because Robert gave it to him, just as he had given it to Stannis to hold earlier.

Stannis holding it was the equivalent of a castellan, while Renly held it in the position of Lord of the Castle. Thus, there is a wide difference between how the two held the castle.

Stannis holding it was the equivalent of a castellan, while Renly held it in the position of Lord of the Castle. Thus, there is a wide difference between how the two held the castle.

It was still Stannis' more than it was Renly's. Stannis had a better right to it than Renly and Robert refused to respect that.

It was still Stannis' more than it was Renly's. Stannis had a better right to it than Renly and Robert refused to respect that.

No it wasn't, nor did he have a better right to it.

Sure it was. He was older, and therefore had a better right than Renly. He had also fought to keep it in Baratheon hands, while Renly did not. Even Cersei admits that Storm's End was Stannis' by rights.

You mean he held out during the siege? Not much fighting was done and if I recall Renly was there too.

You mean he held out during the siege? Not much fighting was done and if I recall Renly was there too.

There clearly was fighting there, as Donal Noye lost his arm. And Stannis was actually in charge, and had to keep the men disciplined while starving, or else they'd overthrow him and open the gates just to eat. Renly was certainly there, but he was only four at the time.

Sure it was. He was older, and therefore had a better right than Renly. He had also fought to keep it in Baratheon hands, while Renly did not. Even Cersei admits that Storm's End was Stannis' by rights.

Nope, Robert was still alive thus he had no claim the same as Renly. Also, Cersei never said that only that she thinks Robert did it out of spite while Cressen talks about the strategic purposes.

She was quoting Stannis. It's not her personal opinion:

"And Stannis has always felt he was cheated of Storm's End," Cersei said thoughtfully. "The ancestral seat of House Baratheon, his by rights . . . if you knew how many times he came to Robert singing that same dull song in that gloomy aggrieved tone he has. When Robert gave the place to Renly, Stannis clenched his jaw so tight I thought his teeth would shatter."

"He took it as a slight."

"It was meant as a slight," Cersei said.

"Shall we raise a cup to brotherly love?"

"Yes," she answered, breathless. "Oh, gods, yes."

ETA: Cersei declared herself Queen Regent and the Lady of Casterly Rock. I doubt she would share Stannis' opinion.

Nope, Robert was still alive thus he had no claim the same as Renly. Also, Cersei never said that only that she thinks Robert did it out of spite while Cressen talks about the strategic purposes.

Regardless, even while Robert lived, Stannis had more of a claim to it than Renly did because he was older, and because he fought to keep it. Stannis certainly had a claim, he was Robert's heir after all.

Which is why he got Dragonstone, but nothing can satisfy the big baby.

How is he a baby for being punished while Robert's enemies got off scot free? Balon Greyjoy and Mace Tyrell ended up better off than Stannis did, and you see Stannis' position as unreasonable?

How is he a baby for being punished while Robert's enemies got off scot free? Balon Greyjoy and Mace Tyrell ended up better off than Stannis did, and you see Stannis' position as unreasonable?

He wasn't punished nor did Robert's enemies get off scot free.

He would probably start whining about how he should of got Highgarden since Mace Tyrell fought with Aerys.

How is it at all fair to punish Stannis for not grabbing the Targaryens, when their departure was clearly beyond his control, but not Mace, for siding with the Targaryens and laying siege to Storm's End?

Archived