How to make a valyrian sword

Felipe Orletti Penedo

Something just crossed my mind: valyrian magic, valyrian swords and the Azor Azhai prophecy. In this prophecy we can see a warrior trying to achieve perfection. Trying to make the ultimate sword. How he finally made it out? By sacrificing Nissa Nissa, his wife.

What i really proposing is that the prophecy is telling us how AA made the first valyrian steel sword. Westerosi doesn't know how to make valiryan swords. On the other hand, we know that valyrian magic is all about sacrifice and blood. AA sacrificing Nissa Nissa feets very well. Therefore what i'm thinking is that every valyrian sword could be considered a Lightbringer.

I'm kind of lazy right now to quote from the book, but Samwell Tarly, after searching in the Night's Watch library, tells Mormont that every valyrian sword is effective fighting the Others. Mormont jokes telling him "Oh, let's just ask the Lords for their most prized owns, their valyrian swords! They'll be eager to give them to us". Something like that...

I believe there's something there, but there a few links missing.

1) Most people assume the AA story originated in Westeros, since it's where the Wall is etc.

2) What is Dawn?

I believe AA was a wizard-blacksmith. I believe he discovered the secret to Valyrian steel, yes. But I believe Lighbringer, as the first one, had something special. I believe Dawn was the first Lightbringer. And maybe Daynes looking like Valyrians isn't a mere coincidence...

I believe AA was a wizard-blacksmith. I believe he discovered the secret to Valyrian steel, yes. But I believe Lighbringer, as the first one, had something special. I believe Dawn was the first Lightbringer. And maybe Daynes looking like Valyrians isn't a mere coincidence...

It could be but Valyria was found 3000 years after LN1.0 and Valyrian Steel is black not milkwhite. Also I would say that because of the age Valyrians look like Daynes not the other way around.

I believe there's something there, but there a few links missing.

1) Most people assume the AA story originated in Westeros, since it's where the Wall is etc.

2) What is Dawn?

Dawn was made from a meteorite

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Dawn

It could be but Valyria was found 3000 years after LN1.0 and Valyrian Steel is black not milkwhite. Also I would say that because of the age Valyrians look like Daynes not the other way around.

That's why I said Dawn has something special. It maybe the meteorite thing, but I mean... The name Dawn fits the Lightbringer idea too well. Two special swords with names evoking the same idea should ring a lot of bells.

Now for the Daynes-Valyrians, it's a longer shot. It would be silly for a whole people to inherit traits from a single family. But maybe a lot of first men looked like that and they migrated, I don't know. Pure speculation. I just find it odd that the Daynes get such special features being a somewhat lesser House. There's something yet to be revealed about them.

That's why I said Dawn has something special. It maybe the meteorite thing, but I mean... The name Dawn fits the Lightbringer idea too well. Two special swords with names evoking the same idea should ring a lot of bells.

Now for the Daynes-Valyrians, it's a longer shot. It would be silly for a whole people to inherit traits from a single family. But maybe a lot of first men looked like that and they migrated, I don't know. Pure speculation. I just find it odd that the Daynes get such special features being a somewhat lesser House. There's something yet to be revealed about them.

I agree that Dawn could be LB, but I don't believe that is possible for Dawn to be Valyrian steel.

As for the Daynes they are older than Valyria so Valyrians have Dayne's features.

I agree that Dawn could be LB, but I don't believe that is possible for Dawn to be Valyrian steel.

As for the Daynes they are older than Valyria so Valyrians have Dayne's features.

My idea is that Dawn is similar to valyrian steel. It's forged in similar fashion, but there's more to it: sacrifice, meteorite metal or whatever. Maybe it was regular valyrian steel that was later enchanted somehow and after the 'light' went out it kept a paler tone.

I understand that Dawn is unique and different from regular valyrian steel, but I don't think they're completely unrelated.

My idea is that Dawn is similar to valyrian steel. It's forged in similar fashion, but there's more to it: sacrifice, meteorite metal or whatever. Maybe it was regular valyrian steel that was later enchanted somehow and after the 'light' went out it kept a paler tone.

I think we already know that it isn't forged similarly to VS. One of the characteristics we hear about VS weapons is the rippling they have which is a by product of how the blade is made and Dawn is not described ever that I recall as having that same look.

I'd wager it's made from the following ingredients:

Good 'ole steel.

Dragonbone. Dragonbone cannot be melted so it's impossible to make anything out of it.

Dragonfire.

Blood.

It seems to me that the Targaryen motto "Blood and Fire" is alot more meaningful than i previously thought.

I think we already know that it isn't forged similarly to VS. One of the characteristics we hear about VS weapons is the rippling they have which is a by product of how the blade is made and Dawn is not described ever that I recall as having that same look.

It's magic. If Martin says that a hero using a valyrian blade in a ritual of sacrifice to save the world gives it a light of its own and after the job is done it looks like Dawn, so it is.

I understand that Dawn is unique and different from regular valyrian steel, but I don't think they're completely unrelated.

I see now. I didn't understand that you meant that before.

I believe there are 3 parts to Valyrian Steel

1.) Steel

2.) Blood

3.) Dragon Fire

I also think that the targs words are a hint at that

Yea this is a strong possibility. Valyrian magic was rooted in fire and blood and Valyrian steel is described as being made from Dragon flame and spell forged, so I believe the spell is blood magic.

According to the Wiki link that Jon Snow-Targaryen posted, Dawn is not Valyrian Steel (and never was) but is said to be as sharp as VS.

It is said to be made from a fallen star. If fallen star = meteorite, could it also = comet? Given that comets in general appear to give off white light, and Dawn's blade is pale as milkglass that fits. It also leads to the possibility that Lightbringer was made from the heart of a red comet, which goes back to the prophecy about the prince/princess who was promised.

The wiki has no more information than we do. The origins of Dawn is still a mystery, you can't take what the wiki says for granted. All we know is that Dawn is different from valyrian steel while having the same characteristics (sharp, lightweight etc.). There's no proof that "it was never" or that "it has nothing to do with" valyrian steel.

I know my ideas are just speculation, but they're possible.

GRRM had said that Valyrian looks may be related to magic. As Daynes and Valyrians have similar looks they may have used the same kind of magic in the past. Dawn is not VS, as it is not worked in the same way with all the folds, but it might gave been made with the same spells which is why it is similar in sharpness, weight and maybe even magical properties.

Archived