Animal Names

John Suburbs

Anyone else think GRRM is kind of weak on this point?

Shadowcat is a pretty cool name for a panther, but Lizard Lions?

How about a striped horse ridden by Vargo, native to the southern continent ... and called a zorse? Cmon George.

At the same time he uses the common words for elephant, raven etc., even aurochs, which turns out to be a real animal.

And I think I remember a description of a giraffe somewhere, but I can't remember if it had a name and now I can't find it.

If I can quibble about anything in the story, it's when George tries to invent his own animal names.

Isn't a shadow cat black with white stripes? It's a cool name regardless.

Zorses are real animals, they're just usually called zebroids in real life. They're a hybrid of a horse and zebra.

For Lizard Lions it depends on what they look like, if they're massive crocodiles/alligators he could have done better, if they've got some kind of fringey thing around their neck I like it.

It wasn't so much the name Lizard Lions that annoys me (although it is a bit rubbish) but the fact that they live in the Neck. I've always thought of Westeros as having a European climate and they seemed a bit out of place.

There are a great many different kind of reptiles endemic in Europe... so why not have some sort of reptile in the bogs of the Neck?

There are a great many different kind of reptiles endemic in Europe... so why not have some sort of reptile in the bogs of the Neck?

Well I always assumed that they were crocodiles or other very large lizards which you don't get in Europe. Also I thought the Neck had a Northern European climate, not a Mediterranean one.

I see.. well I am not sure how large the lizard-lions are supposed be. We have some very interesting reptiles in Germany (about 14 different kinds if I remember correctly..) and also about 20 different kinds of amphibians. None of them as big as a crocodile, of course.

I see.. well I am not sure how large the lizard-lions are supposed be. We have some very interesting reptiles in Germany (about 14 different kinds if I remember correctly..) and also about 20 different kinds of amphibians. None of them as big as a crocodile, of course.

Actually we have a lot more than that.

Actually we have a lot more than that.

I do not think so.... at least that is what I have been taught in my zoology lecture. I am not a certified expert on reptiles and amphibians but I would be very surprised if it was a lot more than what I posted above...

I do not think so.... at least that is what I have been taught in my zoology lecture. I am not a certified expert on reptiles and amphibians but I would be very surprised if it was a lot more than what I posted above...

Maybe a lot is a little exaggerated. But there are more than that.

But, well, that's not the crucial point of the discussion in this thread. :D

I was just thinking about Lizard Lions, and I'm sure that GRRM isn't the first to use that term. Louis L'amour used it early in The Sackett series, which leads me to believe its a description that's been around awhile.

Maybe a lot is a little exaggerated. But there are more than that.

But, well, that's not the crucial point of the discussion in this thread. :D

Just took a look into my notes, there are 14 reptiles and 21 amphibians living in Germany. I can send you a list of their names, if you are interested. Beautiful animals, every single one of them...

But back to the lizard-lions; there was a thread about lizard-lions/crocodiles:

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/98540-lizard-lions-are-not-crocodiles/

Archived