Parallels

John Suburbs

So many in both the current story and between the past and present. Here's one I just noticed:

Maester Aemon joined the Nights Watch because he didn't want anyone to use him to try and usurp his younger brother, Aegon V (Egg).

Sounds somewhat like our good friend Sam, who came to the NW so his father could pass Horn Hill to his younger bro, Dickon.

Two eldest sons who, if Sam's story plays out, will earn Maester's Chains and take the black.

So many in both the current story and between the past and present. Here's one I just noticed:

Maester Aemon joined the Nights Watch because he didn't want anyone to use him to try and usurp his younger brother, Aegon V (Egg).

Sounds somewhat like our good friend Sam, who came to the NW so his father could pass Horn Hill to his younger bro, Dickon.

Two eldest sons who, if Sam's story plays out, will earn Maester's Chains and take the black.

I never noticed that! Cool!

Both Tyrion and Robb met a young girl of a lesser social status as a teenager, bedded her after a short acquaintance, and wed her the next day. Both of these marriages led to tragic consequences. (Yet everyone accepts Tyrion loved Tysha, while most fans assume Robb never loved Jeyne.)

Both Tyrion and Robb met a young girl of a lesser social status as a teenager, bedded her after a short acquaintance, and wed her the next day. Both of these marriages led to tragic consequences. (Yet everyone accepts Tyrion loved Tysha, while most fans assume Robb never loved Jeyne.)

Well he did love Talisa

I wouldn't say that. Robb orders Jeyne to remain at Riverrun when he leaves for the Crossing, so as not to rub salt in the wounds of Lord Frey. She rides out after him and begs to come with him, delaying the departure for the Red Wedding. Catelyn's chapter starts with:

Robb bid farewll to his young queen thrice. Once in the godswood before the heart tree, in sight of gods and men. The second time beneath the portcullis, where Jeyne sent him forth with a long embrace and a longer kiss. And finally an hour beyond the Tumblestone, when the girl came galloping up on a well-lathered horse to plead with her young king to take her along.

At the end of her previous chapter, Robb tells Cat she will go to Seaguard, because you keep your treasures separate.

I wouldn't say that. Robb orders Jeyne to remain at Riverrun when he leaves for the Crossing, so as not to rub salt in the wounds of Lord Frey. She rides out after him and begs to come with him, delaying the departure for the Red Wedding.

You don't need to convince me, I certainly think Robb loved Jeyne and of course it's obvious that she loved him. However, the general fandom response to Talisa in the show was "the show got it wrong, they had Robb marry for love, but in the books he married for honor, not love." And most seem to leap to the conclusion that he didn't love Jeyne at all, or perhaps came to love her AFTER the marriage.

However, I think a more nuanced analysis of what he did in the books is that "he loved her in the books too, but that wasn't the main reason he married her, it was honor".

ETA: Even then, you can argue that Robb wouldn't have found Jeyne's honor to be worth more than his if he wasn't biased by feelings of love. Robb himself says in both the book and show that he broke his vows to the Freys "because I loved another". And since he likely believed at that point that he'd completely won the Freys back into the fold with the Edmure-Roslin match, I think at this point he may have felt comfortable enough to actually admit to love as a motivating factor. (As opposed to his initial reveal to Catelyn when he focuses more on honor, when it seemed the Freys were lost, but even then he starts off stating that "she took my heart".)

A string of dead husbands? Sounds a little more like Maergery.

but Margaery is no redhead who has been disinherited by a will and could be in love with a non-knight. And it is safe to say that Sansa heard a thousand empty courtesies. She is also learning to not rely on men and more on her intellect and strength.

but Margaery is no redhead who has been disinherited by a will and could be in love with a non-knight. And it is safe to say that Sansa heard a thousand empty courtesies. She is also learning to not rely on men and more on her intellect and strength.

I disagree, I think Sansa has potential to be strong and not need to rely on men, but at the moment she realizes she's not ready to make her own plans so she is relying on Littlefinger to teach her, then betray him after the student learns the master's secrets, kind of like a sith master-apprentice type thing.

Now I read you do say learning in your quote so silly me I agree haha

This is one brought up many times before, but (assuming R+L = J), three of the major characters and candidates for the "three heads of the dragon", Dany, Jon, and Tyrion, all "killed" their mothers in childbirth.

And if we get a little more tinfoil-y and assume A + J = T, then you can make a case that all three were conceived out of sex acts where the woman's consent was rather dubious. Aerys/Rhaella wasn't legally rape but bad enough to traumatize Jaime into "going away inside" and question the KG vows, Rhaegar/Lyanna was likely consensual but many assume it was rape, and Aerys/Johanna may have been anything to (1) nonexistent except in the Mad King's delusions, (2) a totally consensual relationship, (3) a coerced relationship or (4) straight-out violent rape.

I hope Tyrion isn't the 3rd dragon (as much as I like the character) it would just seem kind of corny. I also don't think he is because Morroqo doesn't refer to him as one of the dragons but rather as "snarling amidst them all". Tyrion's greatest impact on the story is likely his convincing Aegon to travel to westeros (that is his big shadow).

It seems to be somewhat parallel but if you take a closer look it really isn't.

Aemon was the third son of a fourth son of a King, not like Sam the first born son of a lord. Aemon was a maester and then took the black not to pose any threat to his younger brother after he declined the offered crown. Sam was forced to take the black by his father, because Randyll didn't want Sam to be his heir, and only after some time Sam is sent to become a maester.

I hope Tyrion isn't the 3rd dragon (as much as I like the character) it would just seem kind of corny. I also don't think he is because Morroqo doesn't refer to him as one of the dragons but rather as "snarling amidst them all". Tyrion's greatest impact on the story is likely his convincing Aegon to travel to westeros (that is his big shadow).

Well, there is a SSM where he supposedly told a fan that

"Three heads of the dragon... yes... but the third will not nessesarily BE a Targaryen..."

http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/Sentry_Box_Books_Signing_Calgary_Canada

That's actually more ambiguous than it appears on first glance. It could mean "a character with no Targ blood at all", but it could also mean "a character who isn't known to be a legitimate Targaryen". If the "heads of the dragon" refer to dragon riders, then Dany, a definite Targ, is one; but Jon, if R+L = J, would be of Targ blood even without a Targ name. A real Aegon VI would be a Targ, but if he's a Blackfyre pretender, then he again would also be of Targ blood even without a Targ name. And while I really don't want Tyrion to be Aerys's son, if he was, then he wouldn't BE a Targ, but he'd still have Targ blood.

Also, while the whole TPATQ tale suggests only those of Targ blood can ride dragons, and even involves a search for bastard "dragonseeds", the story is supposed to be a history written by a Citadel Maester, NOT told from a totally objective omniscent narrator POV. The Maester may believe only Targs can ride dragons, doesn't make him right.

Stannis' reasoning for switching to the Red Gob reminded me a lot of Samwell's arguement for swearing his oath to the Old Gods.

Samwell, as it is obvious in flight from the Fist to the Wall, didn't stick to is switch but is praying again to the seven, mainly the Mother.

Will Stannis' remain with the Red God's faith? He has another follower of the mother as Hand...

There's also the similarity that Ned may have been happy for Jon to join the Nights watch so he wouldnt be 'used' to usurp Ned's 'brother' Robert, or his heirs. Possibly happy enough that Ned suggested to Benjen that he recruit Jon.

Archived