Is anyone unconditionally honourable?

Aduro

(...)

The Old Bear (allowed Craster to give sons to the others)

(...)

I think the reasons were practical. Craster gives a shelter to Night Watch, and if they do something he doesnt like, he would not help them anymore. Jeor explained it, why he did not do anything : Here on the table is a new axe. Craster himself is upstairs sleeping and drunk. Now his wives have the chance. Sometimes people have to help themselves.

Queen Rhaella might not agree with this....

I get what you are going for... Imo it is honourable to stay true to a holy vow and fulfill an obligation. It is dishonourable to throw everything overboard when keeping an agreement becomes uncomfortable... But I accept that others may have a different view on this...

I think the reasons were practical. Craster gives a shelter to Night Watch, and if they do something he doesnt like, he would not help them anymore. Jeor explained it, why he did not do anything : Here on the table is a new axe. Craster himself is upstairs sleeping and drunk. Now his wives have the chance. Sometimes people have to help themselves.

Even if the reasons were practical he still ignored a wildling throwing away his own children to the others just for a safehouse because he was too weak to go without breaking his vows. He was in charge of the Night's Watch for decades and never bothered to find a way to stop him, and that's largely a soure of the Others' numbers. Basically he lost sight to the real purpose of the wall and his duty.

Even if the reasons were practical he still ignored a wildling throwing away his own children to the others just for a safehouse because he was too weak to go without breaking his vows. He was in charge of the Night's Watch for decades and never bothered to find a way to stop him, and that's largely a soure of the Others' numbers. Basically he lost sight to the real purpose of the wall and his duty.

As Jon in the show said "I want to fight for the side who fight for the living"

When I think honourable, I think Ned Stark....but I would really like to know what happened at the tower of joy to know just how honourable.

I also think Maester Aemon

Beric Dondarrion for sure

What about Wyman Manderly? Can his loyality to Ned Stark count as being honourable? He has to know he's not going to survive Winterfell.

Are we only talking knights and nobility? Because if not I'd throw Donal Noye at the top of the list. That guy pretty much gave up everything to protect people.

Anyone who has proved that under temptation or difficult circumstanes they have kept their honour by sticking by their word , their own beliefs of right and wrong and the moral standards of their society is considered. After all I included Dany's Dothraki handmaidens who havetechnically been servants for the whole series.

BTW I'm adding Rodrik Cassel along with Blackfish, Maege Mormont & Wyman Manderly but none of the old guard in the Night's Watch including Aemon & Donal Noye as they all probably knew the truth about Craster or chose to ignore it as Jon figured it out and tried to blab on his first ranging, it was almost certainly common knowledge among Watch Veterans.

Yeah, I was saddened when he died, and even moreso when I realised no one except his direct family (mostly his parents) cared.

Hell, even most of the readers don't feel an inch of sadness when he meets his end.

Yes and is really annoying how callous Jaime is about his death and how he demeans him just because he isn't confrontational and just wants to get safe in KL while maintaining a cordial relationship with him and Brienne. Apparently not having a strong personality makes you worthless for a Lannister. Even Emmon is not that bad. Just a little annoying. Being terrified of a dick like Tywin doesn't make you an asshole.

Aside from her thrice-changing allegiances, Brienne is pretty damn honourable in A Feast for Crows. She gives Nimble Dick his money that was owed to him even after he died and she also protects an inn full of orphan children despite facing a vastly larger group of foes and under the threat of rape and murder. That last one is probably one of the most selfless and morally good acts in the entire series.

Also, Baelor Breakspear should classify among the list. He is very polite and kind when talking to people far below his social status, urged for mercy for the Blackfyre rebels, and also stood up for Dunk during his trial, even though he was going against his own family, just because it was the morally right thing to do. The guy was pretty much perfect.

Archived