Stannis' interest in naval battles, ships & Co.

The Onion Sleight

Just like he was out thought by Roose Bolton and would have walked directly into his trap at the Dreadfort, if not saved by Jon Snow's superior strategic acumen.

Superior strategic acumen?!?! It was because Alys Karstark told him, do a re-read seriously.

Superior strategic acumen?!?! It was because Alys Karstark told him, do a re-read seriously.

Are you lost?

Stannis wanted to march down the Kingsroad with his 1500 men with immediate effect. Only Jon's stubborn persuasive skills finally made him see the light, namely that his host would be cut to pieces by the Umbers long before they even reached the Dreadfort.

And this was long before Alys Karstark arrived on the scene.

Roose was quite put out by the fact that Stannis did not follow through on his initial intentions.

Are you lost?

Stannis wanted to march down the Kingsroad with his 1500 men with immediate effect. Only Jon's stubborn persuasive skills finally made him see the light, namely that his host would be cut to pieces by the Umbers long before they even reached the Dreadfort.

Roose was quite put out by the fact that Stannis did not follow through on his initial intentions.

Are ships now sailing down the Kingsroad too?

Are you lost?

Stannis thinking he's the 'chosen one' is seriously undermining his judgement.

Are you lost?

Alys Karstark told Jon of Arnolfs intentions to betray Stannis then Jon sends him the raven.

A good commander would have known. Stannis is obviously a competent general but he was out thought and out fought by Tyrion.

known what exactly? that ships loaded with wildfyre were gonna kamikaze his ass or that a giant chain of green hell would cut off the ships retreat... nah!

He's such a good naval commander he sailed his fleet straight into Tyrion's ambush at Blackwater Bay.

I don't have a book on hand, but was Stannis even on a boat during the Battle of Blackwater Bay? I always had the impression that he was on land. Tyrion mentioned soldiers attacking the Mudgate, which was where I thought Stannis was. After Renly's and Penrose's death, I thought Stannis needed to gather the troops on land to march to King's Landing. They couldn't have all traveled by boat. 20,000 soldiers wouldn't fit the ships available.

And thats why Manderly should give Stannis his fleet.

If the theory about Aurane traveling North to Stannis is true, he probably won't need Manderley. Also, although I'd love to see Stannis's naval ability firsthand, as I think it would be awesome, I suspect the best uses for any ships he gets is to transport fleeing northern smallfolk once the Wall breaks and the Others and wights flood in.

Are you lost?

No wait thats because Jon had a more superior knowledge of the North than Stannis, Alys came later but it doesnt mean that Jon has a "superior strategic acumen" thats so wrong on so many levels.

Archived