Stannis' interest in naval battles, ships & Co.

The Onion Sleight

Backing away slowly and cautiously from the circle-jerk I just stumbled into.

Ok. Keep those periodic updates coming.

I have this head canon where Stannis, as a boy, might have developed an interest in naval affairs because Steffon might have been the Master of Ships (It seems likely that he was apart of Aerys's council). He probably decided that since he couldn't be Lord of Storms's End, wouldn't make a good knight, might not want to spend his life as a Maester, he then turned to a potential future as Master of Ships, like dad. IDK just my head canon.

Yes, it seems reasonable to believe that Steffon was close enough to his cousin Aerys and was probably on his Small Council. Master of Ships would be my best guess too.

But I don't think Stannis could choose, Robert probably just appointed him to the post, one can assume because he wanted his brother nearby, reward him and that he got some naval experience by being the acting lord of Storm's End just before the rebellion.

Ok. Keep those periodic updates coming.

Yes, it seems reasonable to believe that Steffon was close enough to his cousin Aerys and was probably on his Small Council. Master of Ships would be my best guess too.

But I don't think Stannis could choose, Robert probably just appointed him to the post, one can assume because he wanted his brother nearby, reward him and that he got some naval experience by being the acting lord of Storm's End just before the rebellion.

He needs a talking to from E-RO.

I always wondered what qualified him for that position. His only military deployment was the siege before being ordered to take Dragonstone with the new fleet immediately after that. Do Baratheons have some overall naval experience because their waters are so wild? What did Robert make to give the fleet to Stannis?

I think Robert gave him the fleet just like Tywin tasked Tyrion with the sewers. "Take, want something? Well, I don't have any better". Of course, they didn't count on Tyrion and Stannis taking their duties seriously and actually mastering the tasks. Later, while Tyrion didn't become an engineer, Stannis saw that he liked his job.

He's such a good naval commander he sailed his fleet straight into Tyrion's ambush at Blackwater Bay.

OH!, My sweet summer child, how foolish you are...

Damn right although Vic and Euron are badasses in their own right imo.

agreed. but you have to be in order to qualify as Stannis SW

In all seriousness, we dont have a lot on that particular confrontation but he must have done something of note or Stannis wouldn't boast of it

That wasnt him that was his idiot Florent commander, he had the vanguard, and theres no way Stannis couldve known about that.

In the same vein, he did not defeat Euron Greyjoy at sea. Victarrion Greyjoy was in command of the Iron Fleet when it was defeated by Stannis.

You know. The Greyjoy brother that Martin described as "dumb as a stump".

I think Robert gave him the fleet just like Tywin tasked Tyrion with the sewers. "Take, want something? Well, I don't have any better". Of course, they didn't count on Tyrion and Stannis taking their duties seriously and actually mastering the tasks. Later, while Tyrion didn't become an engineer, Stannis saw that he liked his job.

And thats why Manderly should give Stannis his fleet.

In the same vein, he did not defeat Euron Greyjoy at sea. Victarrion Greyjoy was in command of the Iron Fleet when it was defeated by Stannis.

You know. The Greyjoy brother that Martin described as "dumb as a stump".

Yes I knew that but I dont believe Vics that dumb, hes just very warrior minded.

He's such a good naval commander he sailed his fleet straight into Tyrion's ambush at Blackwater Bay.

That was original. Did it take long to come up with that?

That man just wanted to take his men on a boat ride and chill on the beach, but the Demon Monkey pissed on their parade.

That was original. Did it take long to come up with that?

That man just wanted to take his men on a boat ride and chill on the beach, but the Demon Monkey pissed on their parade.

Exactly then chill on the IT, adoring the Lannister heads on the walls.

Archived