Stannis' interest in naval battles, ships & Co.

The Onion Sleight

And no, we all know he makes mistakes, like everyone else in the books. It's people like you who say that he doesn't do anything but mistakes. That's a difference.

But calling me a dick was pretty solid too. I assume you are going to tell on me now as well.

It doesnt look like hes gonna see reason.

If you don't like being called a dick then stop acting like a dick. You don't control who can or can't post in this thread. I'm not pro or anti any of the characters in the books.

Are you seriously not biased? You even said Stannis was unintelligent and Tywin was better. That's like being biased by definition and not based on an informed opinion.

Calling someone a dick doesn't really speak for yourself. On top of that did yous till not provide an viable argument.

Now you resort to personal insults.

Are you seriously not biased?

I am a fan of the books in general rather than specific characters. I like Stannis as a character. He's witty and has some very enjoyable scenes. I still think BB was his general Custer moment. I also think he's a secondary character and will die in the next book.

This went from a pleasant semi-Stannis appreciation thread to us having to defend him for the Blackwater which I thought it was settled in earlier threads that it wasnt his fault.

Jep, it did. But nonetheless, thanks for your amswers =)

I think his superior naval command comes from his appointment to Master of Ships. When he got that job, he probably saw it as his duty to learn everything he could and become the best MoS possible. Maybe he got the job because he was especially interested in ships, but his superiority is, in my opinion, the result of his great sense of duty.

I was thinking this, too. Makes sense. But it would interest me, if that interest existed before...

awesome commander, was master of ships and prob took the job seriously , then of course spent ages on dragonstone plus his best buddy is a lifelong smuggler

Woah, yaay, absolutely! Davos is a factor, too! Davos knows how to sail a ship like he knows how to act as Hand (I love his talk with Maester Pylos about the similarities of clearing/sailing a ship and being the King's Hand). Stannis knows Davos is the best man for both, and having an awesome naval commander as king and an super-experienced seaman & smuggler (now admiral) as Hand fits so perfectly together :love: .

The Stormlands is bordered along the Narrow Sea, so I think most of the Houses in the region would have a history in maritime travel, trade, warfare, etc. I don't think it was said exactly, but Storm's End seems to have been built alongside the coast. Stannis did mention that could see the Mace Tyrell feasting from the battlements during the siege.

I have this head canon where Stannis, as a boy, might have developed an interest in naval affairs because Steffon might have been the Master of Ships (It seems likely that he was apart of Aerys's council). He probably decided that since he couldn't be Lord of Storms's End, wouldn't make a good knight, might not want to spend his life as a Maester, he then turned to a potential future as Master of Ships, like dad. IDK just my head canon.

Aww, I love your head canon :wideeyed: ! This idea sounds pretty nice and logical, I'm supporting this :thumbsup: .

And agree with you about the Stromlands and the Narrow Sea.

In all seriousness OP as respect to you, I believe that Stannis's success at sea is due in large part to Storms End being by the sea and Robert making him Master of Ships essentially making him Admiral of the Narrow Sea (what Davos is now) he had this position for nearly twenty years so he got alot of hours in sailing and learning the different techniques that are involved.

:agree:

Stannis doesn't fight naval battles, the enemy ships just sink themselves instead of facing Stannis.

No, ships were interested in him.

The ships would only obey Stannis.

Robert: *steers the rudder* Come on you SoB

Ship: Go fuck yourself.

Stannis: Let me try.

Ship: Fuck yeah, Stannis FTW!

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

(I've learned my lesson, you should never expect too many serious posts in a Stannis thread... XD)

:commie: :commie: :commie: OUR KING!!! :commie: :commie: :commie: (A picture, fit for a king! It's so Stannis-worthy!)

Ill never understand why Stannis is faulted for listening to Jon Snow, thats what a good leader does! Listen to their advisors and compatriots and make the best decision.

:agree: so much! Why don't understand people this?!

When he DO listens to others, takes their advices and gives certain persons his trust (Davos, Mel, Jon...), there're still always people saying "He cannot make decisions by himself! Everyone is savvier / having a clue more than him!", but when he DOESN'T listens to others, then they're saying "He's soo stubborn and egoistic! His lacking people skills, rigidness and blabla, make him a bad king" -.-

(You can't be everybody's darling... And our king doesn't have to be, and he knows that! ;-)

No, you're confused. Jon saved Stannis at the start of Dance, from marching on the Dreadfort with his "host" of 1500 remaining men. Jon told him that he would be cut to pieces in the 300 mile march across Umber lands, before he even reached the Dreadfort.

And that was before any Karstark betrayal issues were even in the picture.

Thanks to Jon's advice, Stannis was disuaded from this mad course of action, and went to beg the Mountain Clans for men instead. Which is the only reason he is still alive today.

He's acting on info given to him by the Northern savvy Karstarks, who are trying to lead him into a trap, handily a spectacularly Northern savvy Jon Snow helps him change his mind. but yes, mad course of action. MAD! He should've known the North would work against him for no other reason than "fuck Southerners"

I am a fan of the books in general rather than specific characters. I like Stannis as a character. He's witty and has some very enjoyable scenes. I still think BB was his general Custer moment. I also think he's a secondary character and will die in the next book.

I've always questioned this line of thought. Including Winds Stannis' story has been told through the eyes of 6 POV's now. I heard Davos and Cressen were created for Stannis early scenes, but GRRM must've always meant for Cat, Jon, Asha and Theon to interact with him.

The BW was bad, but the City had to fall quickly, there was no time for poncing around. Stannis' shortsightedness comes (much like it does in the North) by assuming people would come to him. He should've given up on Bitterbridge, given Penrose 1 day instead of 2 weeks and marched on KL with available forces ASAP.

Archived