The single stupidest action by any character ever?

Dragon's Bane

Cat imprisoning Tyrion.....

Ros becoming a 'spider' for Varys....... She should have known littlefinger would make her pay....... Bad move!!!

Ned wouldn't have trusted Littlefinger if his beloved Cat hadn't told him that Littlefinger had been her trusted friend, more brother than friend who would never betray her. So, Ned was stupid to trust his extremely thick wife.

True, It is becoming more apparent how stupid Cat really is, at least in the decisions sense, not only is there these two, she thought Walder Frey "would never harm her".

Set Jaime Lannister free.

Total bitch to Jon Snow.

She is the definition of a "dumb broad".

True, It is becoming more apparent how stupid Cat really is, at least in the decisions sense, not only is there these two, she thought Walder Frey "would never harm her".

Total bitch to Jon Snow.

while cat is by no means my favorite character, these are blatantly not true.

cat thinks walder would never harm her when she goes to negotiate with him. when she returns to his home, she is eager of the guest rite ritual because she thinks he will.

setting jaime was a sign of desperation, i agree.

being a bitch to jon wasn't dumb. it was petty but her actions can be understood. shows her human flaws that all the characters in asoiaf have.

Total bitch to Jon Snow.

See my previous post. Cat is, imho, even dumber than her sister. At least I can cut Lysa some slack for acting like a dumb ass. She was in love, she was forced to marry an old fart and she was forced to abort her child. Cat has no excuses.

while cat is by no means my favorite character, these are blatantly not true.

cat thinks walder would never harm her when she goes to negotiate with him. when she returns to his home, she is eager of the guest rite ritual because she thinks he will.

Agreed, this sums it up.

I neither like or dislike Catelyn, but she was the only one who suspected the Frey betrayal.

And the first time during the negotiations, she had valid reasons to believe that Lord Frey would not harm her since her son was outside with thousands of soldiers, something that turns out to be true since he doesn't actually harms her at that point.

1. Robb marrying Jeyne.

2. Ned telling Cersei he knew about the incest.

3. Ned refusing Renly.

Everything Ned did in KL is a direct consequence of Cat nagging him into accepting to become the Hand in the first place. He rightly thought he could not cope with KL politics and cited the faiths of his brother and father, but he was emotionally blackmailed by his, and I cannot emphasize this enough, extremely stupid wife who claimed he was not a good father because their daughter's wouldn't get good matches if they stayed in Winterfell (??? as if Lord Paramount's daughters can marry badly). She also pushed him further with believing Lysa's letter while knowing the whole Tully family history with LF. So, the stupidest thing Ned ever did was listening to Cat at all.

- Pretty much everything Catelyn does, from just about forcing Ned to become Hand to capturing Tyrion and releasing Jaime; one of the only smart things I can remember her doing is warning Rob about trusting Theon...

- Anybody trusting Littlefinger; I know HBO's LF is different from the real LF, but I can't help but remember Tyrion's line: 'Is there an idiot in any village who trusts Littlefinger?'. Ned especially was an idiot to trust someone who so obviously wanted to get with his wife.

- Ned not sending out his letter to Stannis to every lord in Westeros, as Stannis does.

- Joffrey murdering Ned.

- Sansa telling the queen that her father was sending them away; I don't think she can be blamed for everything that ensued, but telling her was pretty selfish and dumb regardless.

- Arya picking random people to get killed rather than people who actually matter.

- Quentyn and the dragon - needs no explanation.

- Rhaegar eloping with/abducting Lyanna.

- Robb marrying Jeyne.

- Tywin taunting Tyrion that last time.

- Oberyn not standing just a little further away from the Mountain.

- Littlefinger kissing Sansa; it led to him having to kill Lysa, and while that isn't that big a problem in itself I'm surprised someone as calculated as LF let his guard down so easily.

- Jon not keeping Ghost close as he was warned to.

- While effective, I think the Red Wedding wasn't Tywin's (and the Bolton's and Frey's) best move. I really think passing over the whole guest right matter so carelessly is going to blow up in their faces - as it already did when Joffrey was poisoned at his own wedding.

Lysa poisoning Jon Arryn. I mean, I get she was in love or whatever, but really? If a guy is encouraging you to murder your husband and father to your child, that's a red flag, ladies, no matter how romantically disinclined you are to said husband.

Not really that stupid, she got away with it, made it look like a possible natural death and planned to avoid justice by heading to the vale where she would become regent. Besides its understandable that she would want to kill him when she loved Littlefinger and was forced to abort his child then marry an old man. If you want stupid I would point out sending Quentyn Martell to woo Dany was a bad choice. Not only is he boring but he was useless to her in battle. Then it wouldn't be surprising if a rash young man did something stupid when he was humiliated by Dany. BTW trying to steal two rabid dragons with a bunch of sellswords and some half-decent chains. That was some extra special stupidity.

Archived