The single stupidest action by any character ever?

Dragon's Bane

Rhaegar eloping with Lyanna. Offending 3 major houses, which incidentally all have loose cannons, it doesn't take a genius to figure that it won't be well received. Add Aerys' brilliant idea to burn a lord paramount and kill his heir and it's so ridiculous it's not even funny.

Viserys threatening to kill the Khal's son, really.

Sansa telling cersei about her father's plan. If she hadn't done it then her father would have been alive. Robb would never had raised banners. RW would not have taken place and Sansa would not have married tyrion and all the starks would have been alive.

Robb: It is my best idea ever.

Marrying a daughter of a small western lord.

Afterall he have a decrepit castle.

And he have about 50 men.

Also he lives deep in the lands ruled by my worst enemies: the cruel and treacherous Lannisters!

Indeed, what a brilliant idea!

I still thought it was stupid. I was waiting for him to break out into a song and dance routine.

The mental image of this. Its like Scrooge at the end of a Christmas Carol.

On a smaller but still horrific scale, that inkeep who tried to appeal to Ser Gregors better nature

Well i should say Catelyn Tully/Stark

but..

ill narrow it down to two of her biggest (amongst many) stupid decisions/actions

Catelyn Stark realising Jamie Lannister & Taking Tyrion Lannister (The Imp) captive - ultimately starting a war a leading to the death of her husband

Sansa telling cersei about her father's plan. If she hadn't done it then her father would have been alive. Robb would never had raised banners. RW would not have taken place and Sansa would not have married tyrion and all the starks would have been alive.

Sansa didn't know why Ned wanted them to leave KL. Had she known, she probably wouldn't have done it. It's easy to put all the blame on an unaware little girl, whereas the real stupidity was in Ned admitting to Cersei he knew about her little bastards.

Other stupid moves:

- Quentyn. Nuff said.

- pretty much everything Cersei did after Tywin's death

- Robb marrying Jeyne

- Catelyn letting Jaime go

Really, when you look at all the Starks' stupidities, Sansa spilling the beans to Cersei is hardly the worst. Plus like I said, it's the case of a character not having enough information to act differently.

Catelyn Stark realising Jamie Lannister & Taking Tyrion Lannister (The Imp) captive - ultimately starting a war a leading to the death of her husband

Under the circumstances, taking a Lannister hostage seemed like a smart move. And at the time she believed him to be responsible for what happened to Bran.

Ned trusting Littlefinger against his best judgement. Is that a hindsight issue? I'm thinking not because he had to know it was a bad idea while agreeing to do it.

Ned trusting LF is hands down the worst decision. Not bc hindsight proved it to be a mistake. Rather bc LF plainly told him from day one that trusting him would be a huge mistake! All of Ned's inner monologue about LF told us that he knew he was unscrupulous just from the way he carried himself. Combine gut instinct with the warning from LF himself and it becomes a situation where heads will roll....couldn't resist the bad pun

while i agree that sansa telling her father's plan was a stupid act, i don't think we can say it's because it killed ned. it's because if everything had gone the way sansa was hoping for and her father's wish for the marriage not to take place and the girls to return home was "overruled", she's completely ignoring the fact that ned would really have been disappointed in her and their relationship would have been altered for a long time, perhaps forever. she doesn't consider that at all even though she acknowledges that her action was wicked. and she's ignoring the most important fact: that her father's attempt to do something like that behind the queen's back could have had serious ramifications. we can argue that she may not have known how bad things were in kl, but all of that stuff with her father are definitely things she knew and understood but chose to ignore and that wasn't very smart.

but ned would have been arrested regardless of sansa going to cersei so robb would still have raised his banner. connecting the rw to sansa is an unrealistic stretch. but yeah, if sansa and arya were in winterfell, odds are ned would still be a alive and a prisoner in kl.

Archived