The single stupidest action by any character ever?

Dragon's Bane

This is just human natural, say there is an evil king live tens of thousand of miles away, and there is a man who beat you bloody and torture your family and your friends day and night, now you have a chance to kill one of them, which one will you choose?

She could have named someone whose death would have saved thousands or if she wanted to help Robb then kill someone whose death would cause a lot harm on the Lannisters.

Is Ned some type of drone where he has to do anything that Catelyn tells him?

In how, otherwise he is responsible for his own stupid decisions not her. Moreover, there was nothing inherently stupid about advising Ned that he has to duty to Robert to accept that Hand's position as seen how Maester Luwin equally agrees that he cannot refuse.

Moreover, I wanted quotes of emotionally blackmailing him into going to KL otherwise he would be an awful father. At most, both her and Ned agreed that the girls should go to King's Landing with the idea of Sansa becoming Queen someday is a great match.

Furthermore, she hardly knows the entire Tully history with Littlefinger besides the fact that they grew up together like siblings. In how it isn't like Hoster was openly telling everyone how LF boned Lysa and he forced her to abort her unborn child. Additionally, in the books everyone generally trusts LF thus it isn't horrible that she didn't expect he was plotting with Lysa to bring her family's downfall.

Well, if Tywin was ruled by Joanna, I don't see any evidence that would suggest that Ned wasn't ruled by Cat. At least they are not in the books. If you want quotes, there is the whole conversation in AGOT, so look it up. Cat Tully was present when the whole LF, Lysa, Hoster drama was unfolding. How self-absorbed or stupid or both do you have to be to miss monumental family drama happening before your eyes while you are basically the one who caused it unintentionally or otherwise? How do you trust a guy whom you ditched for another? How do you not see your sister envies you and is in love with the guy you ditched?

Well, if Tywin was ruled by Joanna, I don't see any evidence that would suggest that Ned wasn't ruled by Cat. At least they are not in the books. If you want quotes, there is the whole conversation in AGOT, so look it up. Cat Tully was present when the whole LF, Lysa, Hoster drama was unfolding. How self-absorbed or stupid or both do you have to be to miss monumental family drama happening before your eyes while you are basically the one who caused it unintentionally or otherwise? How do you trust a guy whom you ditched for another? How do you not see your sister envies you and is in love with the guy you ditched?

Cat wasn't self aborbed or stupid for not knowing that Hoster had Lysa's baby aborted at all. How could she? Also, trusting LF in and of itself wasn't stupid. Most characters in the books like and trust him and she grew up with LF. He was like a brother to her.

So your evidence that Ned is a drone is nothing? Nor do you respond to the issue that Luwin equally agrees with Catelyn's advice thus he must be a dumbass who is responsible for all of Ned's dumb actions.

Post the quotes, I am not searching for made up accusations.

Again it was likely a private affair that Hoster and Lysa likely didn't share with the entire castle. Just like how Ned didn't share Jon's origins with all of Winterfell. Because she hardly ditched him, instead she never had a romantic relationship with him and instead only followed her duty to her father, something most people would understand and not respond to by attempting to destroy their former friend's entire family in secret.

She could have named someone whose death would have saved thousands or if she wanted to help Robb then kill someone whose death would cause a lot harm on the Lannisters.

Well, I will go for the guy torture me and my family, and by the way he is right here.

Everything Ned did in KL is a direct consequence of Cat nagging him into accepting to become the Hand in the first place. He rightly thought he could not cope with KL politics and cited the faiths of his brother and father, but he was emotionally blackmailed by his, and I cannot emphasize this enough, extremely stupid wife who claimed he was not a good father because their daughter's wouldn't get good matches if they stayed in Winterfell (??? as if Lord Paramount's daughters can marry badly). She also pushed him further with believing Lysa's letter while knowing the whole Tully family history with LF. So, the stupidest thing Ned ever did was listening to Cat at all.

I just re-read the chapter and Cat "nagging him into accepting to become the Hand" is debatable at best. There was no emotional blackmail that I could discern and I was looking for it. Of course, you are at liberty to interpret the writing in that way, but if so I think you should be prepared to be challenged on it because that is in fact a very shaky interpretation.

There was nothing at all about Cat saying or implying that Ned was not a good father who wouldn't ensure good matches for his daughters. Ned was the one who decided to take them to KL with him and Cat was reluctant and said, "I could not bear it", while trembling. So that point is flat-out wrong.

The point about "knowing the whole family history with LF" isn't applicable in any way. First of all, she didn't know the whole family history, in that she only figured out about the abortion much later, from her father's dying ramblings. Secondly, there is no possible way that she could have known that LF was behind it and that Lysa was acting at his behest. Nobody really (besides LF, Lysa and the readers of the books) is aware of LF's machinations, in fact. That "family history" simply doesn't enter into the equation at all.

Once Catelyn arrives in KL to see Ned and encounters Littlefinger, she thinks to herself that she hasn't even thought of him in many years. After he was wounded in the duel, Cat never visited him once, she burned unread the letter he sent to her afterwards and she never set eyes upon him again until she met him in King's Landing. That makes it pretty hard to believe that she had any possible reason to connect Lysa's message with Littlefinger.

The premise of the OP was to show stupid decisions being made by people with the information they had available at the time and not the information that is available to readers. So at best, what you have presented here is nowhere near the mark and at worst, comes very close to a blatant misreading of the text.

Robb is one of my favourite characters, especially because he did screw up and wasn't the stereotypical 'golden boy' which he could have easily morphed into. He was very much a young King who tried to do what he thought was right.

Take away the foresight and marrying Jeyne wasn't that big a deal. It was a screw up in terms of his army numbers and favour with the Freys but would that lead to his defeat...doesn't seem likely.

However, give us the RW and it becomes one of the stupidest mistakes in the books based on the consequences and lets be honest here, the RW was unique and over the top. ..how could he possibly see that coming?

I had the RW partially spoiled for me so I wanted to whack Robb over the head when he came back with Jeyne. :bang: It was more frustrating than anything else because he had so much potential and it was ruined by marrying Jeyne. Although, their romance was pretty sweet (Jeyne galloping up to say goodbye like 3 times as he went to the Twins :crying: ) but the cloud of 'DOOM' hanging over them kind of ruined it.

The premise of the OP was to show stupid decisions being made by people with the information they had available at the time and not the information that is available to readers. So at best, what you have presented here is nowhere near the mark and at worst, comes very close to a blatant misreading of the text.

Yeah, Cat is a great mother, a wise selfless observant woman who never acts rashly and examines all the evidence presented to her. She has never hurt anyone, she is entirely selfless. She is actually the Mother herself. How unobservant of me.

When does he ask that?

Moreover, honestly this is a ridiculous stretch of attempting to blame Catelyn for another's stupid mistake.

Clash of Kings chapter 7.

"Mother are you certain you will not consent to go to the Twins? You would be farther from the fighting, and you could acquaint yourself with lord Freys daughters to help me chose my bride when the war is done."

Seriously?

Whats untrue about that statement?

He almost died multiple times in her service and she treats him like shit even before she found out he was an informer.

The one that comes to mind first is that scene after Danaerys first sees the unsullied. It takes place in that ship of theirs. Its basically Danaerys being a complete bitch to Jorah for absolutely no reason and loving every minute of it. I think she even smacks him around a little at some point. She thinks its ok to go around abusing and smacking around her subordinates even though she had her own brother killed for grabbing her roughly and calling her names.

Ser Jorah should have just traded her for his pardon and a sack of gold.

Letting an uber entitled mad queen in the making kick him around instead of selling her has causing thousands of people to die.

Big mistake.

Clash of Kings chapter 7.

"Mother are you certain you will not consent to go to the Twins? You would be farther from the fighting, and you could acquaint yourself with lord Freys daughters to help me chose my bride when the war is done."

He asked that only attempt to send her home, moreover she had a lot more important things to do rather then just scope out girls for Robb. In how during the same chapter she advises him not send Theon home and devises the plan to stretch out a hand to Renly.

Archived