Spice Lord or landed knight?

Wmarshal

The question up top. Would you rather be a low tier Westerosi noble men or a up and coming merchant in Essos? I pick merchant, I am to rich to be a slave and have no reason to ever go to war.

The question up top. Would you rather be a low tier Westerosi noble men or a up and coming merchant in Essos? I pick merchant, I am to rich to be a slave and have no reason to ever go to war.

Social mobility in Essos is much easier if you're very talented at something but if your more of an average Joe definitely minor Westeros lord.

Good point, but there with places like Braavos to learn and grow you can prepare yourself for the resto f Essos. Though I guess if you fail at the end you become a street beggar because slaves have all the jobs.

I would definitely prefer to be a merchant in the East. I actually really enjoy Essos and I think it's a beautiful place where I can actually live a peaceful life. The only thing that Westeros has going for it is that slavery is illegal. I rather make money and live a comfortable life instead of getting swept up in every squabble my liege lord drags me into.

I'd definitely pick the landed knighthood over the rich spice lord. Much easier to remain inconspicuous and content, not make enemies, and slowly move your way up for yourself and your family in a small keep than it is when you have a target on your back from your competitors due to your privileged position and trading policies.

Spice lord. While trading may be cut-throat, it isn't actually as likely that I'll actually end up with my throat cut.

Really? I had you picked for living The Good Life of one of the Iron Born, paragons of society that they are ;)

Me, I'd take the life of a merchant, though a minor noble in, say, Dorne sounds pretty decent too.

Really? I had you picked for living The Good Life of one of the Iron Born, paragons of society that they are ;)

Really ? This despite me pointing out repeatedly that they live hard, short lives in misery ?

I admire the Ironborn, or at least certain aspects of their culture, but that doesn't mean I'd want to live life like that.

Of course, I'd be an Ironborn spice lord, obviously. Safely settled after having earned enough to start my business from reaving in my youth. All the benefits of being Ironborn with none of the drawbacks of actually living on the Iron Isles. :)

Really ? This despite me pointing out repeatedly that they live hard, short lives in misery ?

I admire the Ironborn, or at least certain aspects of their culture, but that doesn't mean I'd want to live life like that.

Of course, I'd be an Ironborn spice lord, obviously. Safely settled after having earned enough to start my business from reaving in my youth. All the benefits of being Ironborn with none of the drawbacks of actually living on the Iron Isles. :)

Sounds more like it haha.

'twas just a harmless little jab ( :box:) at our... extended... discussion in the other thread. In any case I agree with you on one thing at least: Whatever else you think of them, the majority of the Iron Born do not live enviable lives.

One doesn't exclude the other atleast in the case of the landed knight. The landed knight can go into trading but its mre difficult for the merchant prince to get a fief that he can pass on. look at the arbor and Oldtown, the lords there have a big hand in trade, and their lower nobilety probably has so aswell. ne it investments in ships or having large amounts of land to grow wine one, or both.

I'd probably be a landed knight in the arbor. Sounds fun, nice weather and plenty of booz, might build my steadfast on the beach.

Landed knight without a doubt. You can get kidnapped at sea and sold into slavery. Drink at tourneys and get girls or work your ass off to get rich and hope you dont get robbed? Yeah your lord might call the banners every once in awhile but there is room for advancement during war.

Considering all that it apparently takes in Essos is for someone to choose to put a collar around your neck to turn you into a slave, probably a knight.

Not in Braavos, which is also a part of Essos. Clearly, that's the place to be a Spice Lord.

Archived