What If Stannis Was Beautiful?

Sir Lee knot

Part of what makes Stannis is his warts-and-all, what-you-see-is-what-you-get distaste for aesthetics. Stannis doesn't do glamour, he doesn't do elegance, he doesn't do charisma. He's a literary foil to Renly in every respect.

Stannis as a pretty boy? Well, you'd have some pretty disappointed young noble girls when they find out his personality. Apart from that, he'd stand out less from Renly as a character, since even with their different personalities, they'd look the same.

to be honest though i always got the impression he was a good-looking man who never had admirers because of his personality

Yes, and I would like to add that I think Stannis not getting his due simply because he's too straight-shooting is a theme grossly under appreciated in this forum, and i submit that people who collectively hold the same view should form some sort of informal but rabid coalition to spread the word and make sure Stannis gets more discussion and justice in the community at large.

He would have more fans. Unconfortable as it is, looks affect the way people react to others or characters. There's always will be a interest in good looking people.

Completely disagree.

The most popular Lannister is the least attractive. Same goes for the Baratheons. Would go for the Starks except aside from Sansa, none are really one way or the other.

This is an anti-hero collective. Pretty girls can get by, but pretty boys are regarded with suspicion.

Make a list of men considered beautiful...I'll start you off; Rhaegar, Renly, Jaime( pre-amputation), Darkstar, Loras, Satin, Viserys, etc.

Now make a list of most despised characters.

He would still have no personality. Stannis isn't liked because there is no room in his heart for forgiveness of any slight done to him, real or imagined. I don't get Davos's blind loyalty to Stannis. Most kings would have made Davos a lord for helping him survive the siege. Only Stannis had to add punishment because Davos was a smuggler. How else did Stannis think Davos would get him food? Fed Ex doesn't deliver in Westros. No matter what Stannis looks like, that personality makes him ugly.

Completely disagree.

The most popular Lannister is the least attractive. Same goes for the Baratheons. Would go for the Starks except aside from Sansa, none are really one way or the other.

This is an anti-hero collective. Pretty girls can get by, but pretty boys are regarded with suspicion.

Make a list of men considered beautiful...I'll start you off; Rhaegar, Renly, Jaime( pre-amputation), Darkstar, Loras, Satin, Viserys, etc.

Now make a list of most despised characters.

The least atractive in apperance but the most witty. Why do you think they choose Dinklage? Try tell a show fan how Tyrion looks like in the books and watch them frown. Don't think looks make Stannis the most popular Baratheon, but attitude and still being alive. How many argue that Renly would've been a great ruler when his resume really doesn't show anything to indicate that? There's isn't a non good looking Stark.

Compare the list of beautiful character with the list of the most despised with the list of the most defended. Gregor, Ramsay, Vargo, Slavers, Balon, none of them are beautiful, all of them are despised and barely defended. Compare that to Daenerys, Sansa, Catelyn, Renly, Rhaegar, Jaime. What the diference? Beautiful are more defended that non beautiful.

If it looks good on a horse...

Renly would lose all of his.. er... "skills" that gets him support from smallfolk and fan alike, and would effectively be completely worthless.

Renly had a better personality. People would have still liked Renly better. Don't get me wrong, I think Stannis would be a way better king than Renly. However, Renly would always win a popularity contest.

Archived