[Books & Show Spoilers] the Viper

Okay, I still need to re-read the chapter before I address this in the book threads, but actually seeing the fight on screen made me realize something that never quite stood out to me on the page:

Oberyn's carelessness around The Mountain reaches horror-movie levels of stupidity and it sort of cheapens his death a little in my eyes.

Again, maybe re-reading the chapter will make me realize that this is just how it was portrayed on screen, but seeing it all play out (to my memory) more or less how it was on the page, I was struck by just how stupid it would be for a seasoned fighter like Oberyn to be so careless around Ser Gregor.

Don't get me wrong, thematically it all makes sense that his bloodlust and unquenched desire for vengeance is what does him in. But it just seems like the way it played out required Oberyn to not just become blinded by his rage but actually flat out careless and stupid, on a level normally reserved for horror movie victims and members of House Stark.

Oberyn's carelessness would bother me less if it wasn't a moronic cliche shoved down our throats in every single fight sequence this season.

Polliver doesn't care about his friend dying a few feet behind him at Arya's hand because the Hound just has such an interesting face...

The Ironborn are no match for Ramsay as he slowly turns his back on his armed foes because, OMG, he has a magic key...

Karl instantly forgets about Jon Snow lying on the ground, despite having just been engaged in an intense fight with him...

Rorge doesn't care that the Hound just killed Biter for their attempt on his life. He's perfectly happy to stand there like a moron while Arya stabs him in the heart...

Oberyn's carelessness would bother me less if it wasn't a moronic cliche shoved down our throats in every single fight sequence this season.

Polliver doesn't care about his friend dying a few feet behind him at Arya's hand because the Hound just has such an interesting face...

The Ironborn are no match for Ramsay as he slowly turns his back on his armed foes because, OMG, he has a magic key...

Karl instantly forgets about Jon Snow lying on the ground, despite having just been engaged in an intense fight with him...

Rorge doesn't care that the Hound just killed Biter for their attempt on his life. He's perfectly happy to stand there like a moron while Arya stabs him in the heart...

To their defense, I heavily doubt Rorge was expecting to get stabbed by a little girl, Karl had to his knowledge incapacitated Jon and had to deal with the stabber behind him, Ramsay is just plain creepy, would cause just about anybody to give pause. I mean, fuck, he walks into the dungeon half naked covered in blood pre-fight. Would you bum-rush that? And as far as fighting the Hound, I'd never take my eyes off of an opponent like that, especially to watch some little girl fight.

Also, Oberyn had pretty much done in Gregor and practically pinned him to the ground with a spear. He was worried that he'd die without confessing, so why not get a little closer?

Really? I doubt someone who tries to murder Myrcella is going to be a fan favorite, maybe if it was Cersei...

Darkstar tried to kill Myrcella just like Jaime tried to kill Bran. Jaime is one of the most liked characters on the show now. I'm not saying Darkstar will end up a fan favorite but I don't think the Unsullied really care about attempted murder on a child if the character who did it is a likable one. Besides, the last thing Darkstar does in the series is that. Then he goes missing. It would be a complete shock to those just watching the show. I could easily see the showrunners building him up to be charismatic and interesting then throwing that curve ball at the end of Arianne's little journey. The only thing is, he'll most likely have far less screen time than Oberyn and no one will want to embrace someone like that so soon after Oberyn's death.

Darkstar tried to kill Myrcella just like Jaime tried to kill Bran. Jaime is one of the most liked characters on the show now. I'm not saying Darkstar will end up a fan favorite but I don't think the Unsullied really care about attempted murder on a child if the character who did it is a likable one. Besides, the last thing Darkstar does in the series is that. Then he goes missing. It would be a complete shock to those just watching the show. I could easily see the showrunners building him up to be charismatic and interesting then throwing that curve ball at the end of Arianne's little journey. The only thing is, he'll most likely have far less screen time than Oberyn and no one will want to embrace someone like that so soon after Oberyn's death.

That is the worst avatar I have ever seen.

To their defense, I heavily doubt Rorge was expecting to get stabbed by a little girl, Karl had to his knowledge incapacitated Jon and had to deal with the stabber behind him, Ramsay is just plain creepy, would cause just about anybody to give pause. I mean, fuck, he walks into the dungeon half naked covered in blood pre-fight. Would you bum-rush that? And as far as fighting the Hound, I'd never take my eyes off of an opponent like that, especially to watch some little girl fight.

Also, Oberyn had pretty much done in Gregor and practically pinned him to the ground with a spear. He was worried that he'd die without confessing, so why not get a little closer?

I have said this a thousand times but I would stand like six feet away and prod his testicles with my spear. It's not only a more effective method to get someone talking, but it'd keep him alive. It'd also feel really good to stab your sister's rapist in the balls.

I would definitely bum rush a guy not wearing armor, the Ironborn are just the most worthless idiots on Westeros. They'd be toothless and selling meth if they were in our world.

Nice one. :D

And for those that still struggle: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8oOi6JOXEQ

:lol:

:rolleyes:

For your sake, I sincerely hope that entire post is a joke...

Karl is understandable, he was just stabbed. The pain would make anyone lose their head. And it's not like he was a genius either.

Polliver is also kinda OK, I mean it's the friggin Hound, you can't expect anyone to have great awareness when facing such a ferocious opponent.

But yeah, Rorge standing there just waiting to be stabbed was stupid, and the entire scene of shirtless Ramsay thwarting a party of seasoned, heavily armored reavers with his knives and dogs is utterly ridiculous. Beric vs the Hound is still the best fight of the series and they failed to touch it in terms of quality this season.

But yeah, Rorge standing there just waiting to be stabbed was stupid, and the entire scene of shirtless Ramsay thwarting a party of seasoned, heavily armored reavers with his knives and dogs is utterly ridiculous. Beric vs the Hound is still the best fight of the series and they failed to touch it in terms of quality this season.

Gotta remember Rorge is a pretty demented individual, and we can't ascribe the best logic and reasoning on him...it appeared it the show that he realized he wasn't going to kill the Hound, and was focused on not letting the Hound kill him at that moment. Not realizing the skinny girl would just calmly walk up and stab him in the heart. (side note - these on screen Arya kills are making me way too proud of her considering her circumstances - what a sick show GRRM).

Beric and the Hound was a fantastic fight - the spinning attacks with the flaming sword, close quarters, sufficiently grizzled and serious fighters - and then the wildly graphic kill shot - just fantastic. Beric's lines are also great in that scene, from the "you'll be fighting me" to his last line after he is resurrected.

Nice one. :D

And for those that still struggle: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8oOi6JOXEQ

:lmao: Hans Zimmer music... :lmao:

But I guess it says something about how horrible it was to watch the last minute of that duel that I am now always half looking away when watching videos about it, just because I dread footage from that dreaded minute coming up.

Archived