[Books & Show Spoilers] the Viper

Really? I doubt someone who tries to murder Myrcella is going to be a fan favorite, maybe if it was Cersei...

I was thinking the same thing. I don't get why people like the Darkstar so much? Is it because he has such a cool nickname or that he is mysterious and people can make up a lot more about him to fit what they like? Because his only major action in the book is a pretty terrible thing, trying to murder a child.

Every last one of you should be apologizing to Pedro Pascal. I still remember the first time when news hit that he got casted for the role of the Red Viper. Everyone was ragging on him, his skin color, his hair, everything...

TV Oberyn > Book Oberyn.

^This. They went with an unknown for a part that many of us thought demanded a star and it worked out SO well. Now I don't know if I should even bother suggesting actor names anymore because Nina Gold found Pedro Pascal.

I didn't much care for Obery's introductory scenes at Littlefinger's, but now that he's going to be leaving us, I miss him already. Pedro is a really good actor and a great find by casting, for sure.

As for Darkstar, he's of the night. But honestly what do we know about him? Other than kinda-sorta foiling Arianne, what else does he do? I don't remember any significant deeds. He's no big baddy or anti-hero...at least that was not my impression at all.

Take Victarion: a great character who is legitimately scary to me, so I hope he makes it into the show. Hmm, lemme go check the casting forum. But Vic is more like the new Hound...another wannabe fratricide. :thumbsup:

Pedro's Oberyn is so different from the book version. You don't sympathize with the Viper the way we've sympathized with Pedro. He has more dimensions and is less of a firecracker.

I think it will be harder seeing TV Oberyn go than it was for book Oberyn. Book Oberyn was cool and edgy fun and to watch. Pedro, along with those things, is a sympathetic character.

I'm not sure if I ever actually posted anything about PP pre-show on this site, I will confess that I did voice elsewhere that my only concern was that he didn't seem quite old enough to be The Red Viper, that was it. I didn't go on a rampage about it or anything, I thought I would wait and see how it went. I suppose it is telling...........that I want to snatch up Pedro's own personal picture of himself on his Twitter page and use it for my avi, LOL

I do suspect I will hear and see Pedro the next time I reread.

I'm not sure if I ever actually posted anything about PP pre-show on this site, I will confess that I did voice elsewhere that my only concern was that he didn't seem quite old enough to be The Red Viper, that was it. I didn't go on a rampage about it or anything, I thought I would wait and see how it went. I suppose it is telling...........that I want to snatch up Pedro's own personal picture of himself on his Twitter page and use it for my avi, LOL

I do suspect I will hear and see Pedro the next time I reread.

indeed, i plan on rereading some of the books when this season is over and i really like pascal so much it will be fun to reread everything with him in mind.

As far as I can tell Darkstar is pretty much a joke to the fanbase. George has even defended him saying he's more dangerous than readers realize.

Darkstar a joke?

He's the most dangerous man in Dorne. Idk how D&D can leave out a character like that.

Every last one of you should be apologizing to Pedro Pascal. I still remember the first time when news hit that he got casted for the role of the Red Viper. Everyone was ragging on him, his skin color, his hair, everything...

TV Oberyn > Book Oberyn.

Well I wasn't! I said if he'd done theatre he would be good... and he was.

TV Oberyn > Book Oberyn.

I had never heard of him, but I trusted in D&D to make a good choice for such a part. I agree that TV Oberyn is better, but that's simply because they gave him a lot more screen time than he did in the books. In the books, he was around for the intro to Tyrion outside the city, had a background role at the wedding and then was at Tyrion's trial, and then we had the duel.

Archived