[App stuff] What did the Undying want from Daenerys?

Lord Varys

Various entries of the App state that the Undying of Qarth wanted to kill Daenerys to control her dragons. Is that actually backed up by the text of the books?

I don't think so, since Pyat Pree does not seem to want Dany to take Drogon with into the Palace of Dust (if the Undying wanted her dragons, they surely would have tried to lure her and her dragons into a trap).

If they had successfully killed Dany, only Drogon would have been in their house, whereas Jorah and the Dothraki could have taken Viserion and Rhaegal with them - and even Drogon, had Dany entered the house without any of her dragons.

More importantly, all the visions and stuff seems to revolve around Dany's special destiny, not so much around her dragons. The Undying ignore Drogon, and that's the mortal error. One would expect them to pay him more mind if he was one of the being they were actually trying to control eventually.

When she finally finds the real Undying, they try to suck her life force, while they are showing her why she is so special (i.e. they were trying to lure her into a trap with the truth). My guess is that people with special destinies and powers are the sweetest 'life force' meat the Undying can think of. It seems pretty obvious that they were no dying because they used their spells to rob others of their life force, isn't it?

What would it have served them if she was dead? She brought magic back and her dragons probably would have died without her or something. So she was of value alive.

Who is to say any of this was even real and not just a hallucination? She got afraid and exhausted and the shade of the evening showed it's side effects, like dathura for example.

Scenario: She wandered in the Undying's room and started to fall, they approached her and wanted to stand her up, help her, but in her hallucination it was just the opposite and she screamed, and Drogon killed them.

Pree was furious because the shade did not work right on her[similar to first time being drunk etc] and that she attacked the Undying and injured them. Likely did not really kill them.

• 4 months later...

I think that the Undying wanted exactly what she gave them. The one thing they could not have. Death.

The book describes them as gollum-like creatures so old and pale and sickly that they can not even breathe or even move. It is clear that whatever existence they have is miserable, and so I think they wanted Daenerys to kill them.

It is possible that they originally were just regular warlocks, and that when they perfected the magic that would keep them alive forever they just assumed it would also keep them eternally youthful as well. When they got old, they realized that this was not so and probably attempted to discover what magic would be needed to also keep them eternally youthful. Either they never discovered it, it it was too late by the time they did. So they were stuck in their dust palace, aging more and more until they were living fossils.

When Daenerys comes along, they hope that they can lure her (and her dragon) to them and then spur the dragon into freeing them from their miserable existence via fire. This plan worked.

They stay alive by sucking the life out of people who come for prophecy and are tempted to stay by the various illusions they see in the various rooms. This is how they avoid dying.

I think that the Undying wanted exactly what she gave them. The one thing they could not have. Death.

The book describes them as gollum-like creatures so old and pale and sickly that they can not even breathe or even move. It is clear that whatever existence they have is miserable, and so I think they wanted Daenerys to kill them.

It is possible that they originally were just regular warlocks, and that when they perfected the magic that would keep them alive forever they just assumed it would also keep them eternally youthful as well. When they got old, they realized that this was not so and probably attempted to discover what magic would be needed to also keep them eternally youthful. Either they never discovered it, it it was too late by the time they did. So they were stuck in their dust palace, aging more and more until they were living fossils.

When Daenerys comes along, they hope that they can lure her (and her dragon) to them and then spur the dragon into freeing them from their miserable existence via fire. This plan worked.

If it worked then why did they come after her later?

• 5 weeks later...

If it worked then why did they come after her later?

The undying were just the highest ranked warlocks. The lesser, non immortal warlocks were still around and were upset at her for killing their leaders. Also, the various merchant guilds of Quarth saw her as a threat, so it is possible one of them would send an assassin.

Archived