America's Gun Culture - What can we do?

Because, obviously, it's a lot easier to kill a lot of people with guns than with knives.

What? That doesn't answer the question that I asked - your position is that the existence of guns is what caused him to kill the first three even though he did not use a gun.

Don't child safety things usually end up being things that only children are patient enough to figure out

Aspirin bottles? Sure.

If a child is an expert in lockpicking, well, congratulations.

The murder-rate per 100,000 inhabitants in Sweden is 0.9. atm. There is precisely two US states with a comparable Murder rate (Iowa, Idaho and New Hampshire) Meanwhile, the highest murder rate is in the vast inner cities of... Alabama, Louisiana, and Mississipi, with Michigan and South Carolina coming up behind.

EDIT: As for rural people being less likely to murder... Have you seen Greenland's murder stats? :P

EDIT2: The highest murder-rate in Europe (Russia's) is still lower than that of Louisiana. Most of Europe lies between 1-3, with a few outliers in eastern Europe (Moldova and the baltics, mostly)

Fun fact: Finland has about twice the murder-rate of Sweden, and has had so for pretty much as long as we have figures. No one quite knows why.

The lowest gun-murder rate in the US belongs to Vermont (0.3 per), which has a comparable population to Washington DC (16.5 per), which has a Gun-Murder rate that is more than double of that of Louisiana (7.7 per). DC also has the most restrictive gun laws in America. The Heller decision was a result of DC's asinine feel-good legislation throughout the years.

Vermont also has the one of, if not the most, lax gun laws in America.

America's Gun Culture - What can we do?

We can slowly advance the regulative frameworks preventing the possession of guns without proper registration. We can also perform our civic duty by reporting any and all illegal arms sales and the possession of guns by mentally unstable individuals.

Let me phrase it another way ziggy targdust ............ do you think that people should not report erratic/suspicious behaviors just because they aren't experts, whether on crime, domestic abuse, or mental health?

Well our own government is putting people in prison for snitching on it. Why should anybody else snitch

Are you saying that people are being imprisoned for reporting on illegal arms sales or reporting the erratic/suspicious activities of possible mentally unstable people?

Let me phrase it another way ziggy targdust ............ do you think that people should not report erratic/suspicious behaviors just because they aren't experts, whether on crime, domestic abuse, or mental health?

Sure, that's different. Report it.

Getting authorities to take your report seriously or follow through with any serious attempt is another matter.

Where I grew up, as is the case with a lot of y'all who grew up in the inner city, the entire community looks down upon you if you're outed as a snitch. You're seen as working against your own people and working with the powers that be. It's a bunch of bullshit but it has to change if we're ever going to be able to reliably report illegal exchanges (and other crimes).

Absolutely. Do your part and report ........... leave the diagnosis and the follow-up to the authority.

People already do that, nearly all these mass shooters were reported and warned about by someone.

How many of us witness the sale of a gun?

What if you do? Call the police and say "hey, I saw a gun get sold to someone I think looks suspicious"

Besides, most of the gun carriers that look suspicious and mentally unstable to me are wearing a police uniform

We can slowly advance the regulative frameworks preventing the possession of guns without proper registration. We can also perform our civic duty by reporting any and all illegal arms sales and the possession of guns by mentally unstable individuals.

Curious, how does registering a firearm curb gun-violence?

Curious, how does registering a firearm curb gun-violence?

It trace the chain of liability. We're a litigious society, so let's the aggrieved parties sue the shit out of anyone and everyone who was involved in the sales of that weapon.

Also would help law enforcement tremendously to pass legislations requiring chemical tagging for gun powder.

People already do that, nearly all these mass shooters were reported and warned about by someone.

More reports doesn't seem to hurt here; if anything, it would underscore the severity of the perceived erratic/unstable behaviors. Also, law enforcement and mental health assessors should be given more authority to involuntary detain people for mental health observation; which is a legislation issue that need to be advanced further.

How many of us witness the sale of a gun?

Probably not in person. But if you happen to come across a facebook or forum posts from someone you know who said something to that effect, report them.

Besides, most of the gun carriers that look suspicious and mentally unstable to me are wearing a police uniform

That's really unfortunately. I hope your local police department make more of an effort to reach out to the community and be more responsive to valid citizens' concerns.

notorious--

i'm not against registration, but the sue-fuck-outta-them rationale won't attract many plaintiff lawyers if the defendants in tort are judgment-proof lumpenproles sans insurance. maybe require proof of firearm insurance to get registered, to help with that?

The registration thing always felt like a fairly poor idea as far as being useful. It's both invasive and not particularly useful. It doesn't stop people from getting guns. It doesn't stop people from using guns. It doesn't stop illegal guns from being fairly anonymous. Most other gun violence doesn't get reduced that way.

The legal thing is fine, I guess, but I think most people who kill others with a gun are not worried particularly about being sued to death.

Archived