Daario - the opposite of fake

Miodrag

I don't think he'll betray her, I really don't. I could be completely wrong and he could be sitting with the leaders of Meereen laughing and drinking wine at the moment, but I honestly don't think that's the way his story will go.

I don't find the relationship annoying, and I don't find her thoughts of him annoying. I find it realistic for how a lonely 16 year old thinks of her love interest. She only thinks of him like 5 times when he's not around, and usually it's a passing thought like, "I wish Daario would take me away from this dreadful court crap". Jon thinks of Ygrette way more than Dany thinks of Daario, but for some reason Dany is the annoying one :dunno:

I like Daario, I like how he reminds Dany who she is, not as Queen but as Dany. I think he's a breath of fresh air to her, someone who tells her the truth instead of kissing her ass.

Whatever floats your boat, I'm just saying Daario fits the Rockstar title more than anyone else in the series.

I get it, I was joking. At least, I was trying to. And only partially - I do think Nick Cave is as far from fake as anyone in rock'n'roll.

Whatever floats your boat, I'm just saying Daario fits the Rockstar title more than anyone else in the series.

Well he doesn't quite have the personal fame or notoriety but persona-wise, I agree - and I understand why that's attractive, even if the book description of him is over-the-top ridiculous, even for a "rockstar".

I like Daario, I like how he reminds Dany who she is, not as Queen but as Dany. I think he's a breath of fresh air to her, someone who tells her the truth instead of kissing her ass.

That may be his effect on her, but I'm pretty sure he's mostly interested in her as "Queen" and "Mother of Dragons", not really as Dany.

Well he doesn't quite have the personal fame or notoriety but persona-wise, I agree - and I understand why that's attractive, even if the book description of him is over-the-top ridiculous, even for a "rockstar".

Out of curiosity: why do you find the description of him to be over-the-top ridiculous?

Hobnobbing with a queen? I'd say that gives him plenty of fame and notoriety status.

The three-pronged blue beard, the gold tooth etc. But then to stand out in Essos, I guess you have to really go for it.

Also, see this image:

http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2013/170/6/3/daario_naharis_by_amok_by_xtreme1992-d69qnp2.jpg

:P

I actually know people with three pronged dyed beards, even more people with a gold tooth/teeth.

None of them i would feel safe in calling over the top ridiculous to their face.

The three-pronged blue beard, the gold tooth etc. But then to stand out in Essos, I guess you have to really go for it.

Also, see this image:

http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2013/170/6/3/daario_naharis_by_amok_by_xtreme1992-d69qnp2.jpg

:P

Speaking of musical industry, Daario wouldn't stand out at all in most of nowadays concerts (be it on stage or in the audience). His appearance is unusual, no doubt about that, but I wouldn't call it over-the-top ridiculous.

Speaking of musical industry, Daario wouldn't stand out at all in most of nowadays concerts (be it on stage or in the audience). His appearance is unusual, no doubt about that, but I wouldn't call it over-the-top ridiculous.

Fair enough, perhaps over-the-top ridiculous is putting it a bit too strongly.

All the people I know with dyed beards are either in a rock band or a biker gang

As a teen I had a red-and-green beard, even if it was only for a short while, and I've never been in a rock band or a biker gang :)

He's genuine I think and upfront about who he is I think the hate comes from people not liking that person. He is arrogant and somewhat annoying but yeah I think the romance is believable. They'll never get married though as people have already said it's political suicide worse than Robb's wedding.

That may be his effect on her, but I'm pretty sure he's mostly interested in her as "Queen" and "Mother of Dragons", not really as Dany.

Eh, I read it as he's mostly interested in banging one of the hottest chicks alive. The fact that she's Queen is a bonus that he takes advantage of, but I don't think it's his main motivation. Or isn't anymore. I think he may have started out trying to get in her pants for the challenge of it, but has come to care for her truly.

He's genuine I think and upfront about who he is I think the hate comes from people not liking that person. Is is arrogant and somewhat annoying but yeah I think the romance is believable. They'll never get married though as people have already said it's political suicide worse than Robb's wedding.

Daario proposed to slaughter all of Dany's opponents during her wedding in Meereen! there's more to it than just his appearance. He's a cruel and violent man.

The whole thing with Dany, Daario and Barristan reminds me of a sheltered white girl and her roughneck boyfriend that her conservative dad doesn't approve of. It's very silly. Especially when she mentions his swag. This was before swag became a popular in slang but it makes me groan anyway. Of all the things in slavers bay, her craving him and his gold tooth is the last thing I want to read about.

Why couldn't she just get it on with Rhakaro?

Daario seems defined to betray her (blue hair, blue beard, all blue errythang). Can't wait for it to happen so she can kill him and move on.

Daario proposed to slaughter all of Dany's opponents during her wedding in Meereen! there's more to it than just his appearance. He's a cruel and violent man.

1) He doesn't hide he's cruel and violent. In fact, he's very open about it. Perhaps it doesn't mean much, but at least it's better than the opposite.

2) It's not like he's Ramsay or Gregor. He's not into randomly killing innocent people for looking at him the way he doesn't appreciate.

My statement still stands though, since I don't know you.

Yup, both our statements are anecdotal evidence with no proof that they're symptomatic or indicative of the rest of the population.

Eh, I read it as he's mostly interested in banging one of the hottest chicks alive. The fact that she's Queen is a bonus that he takes advantage of, but I don't think it's his main motivation. Or isn't anymore. I think he may have started out trying to get in her pants for the challenge of it, but has come to care for her truly.

Possible, to clarify: I don't think it's her power he's interested in, certainly not from a political point of view. But equally, her physical beauty is a bonus, not his main motivation. Basically, a man like Daario will have no trouble finding a beautiful woman with far less strings attached or inherent risk than Dany, and yet he prefers her - to me that indicates something other than her person is his main attraction.

The whole thing with Dany, Daario and Barristan reminds me of a sheltered white girl and her roughneck boyfriend that her conservative dad doesn't approve of. It's very silly. Especially when she mentions his swag. This was before swag became a popular in slang but it makes me groan anyway. Of all the things in slavers bay, her craving him and his gold tooth is the last thing I want to read about.

Why couldn't she just get it on with Rhakaro?

Daario seems defined to betray her (blue hair, blue beard, all blue errythang). Can't wait for it to happen so she can kill him and move on.

Dany sheltered? After all she's been through? Quite the contrary, she isn't sheltered even as the Queen of Meereen, as she realizes in ADWD. Dany is, along with Tyrion, quite possibly the least sheltered among POV characters in ASOIAF. She's the very opposite of sheltered. And her feelings for Daario perhaps mean she doesn't even crave to be sheltered any more. She's beyond big protectors a la Drogo, who was her only true protection/shelter ever. Perhaps now she can handle and enjoy wild and adventurous tempers, like Daario.

Possible, to clarify: I don't think it's her power he's interested in, certainly not from a political point of view. But equally, her physical beauty is a bonus, not his main motivation. Basically, a man like Daario will have no trouble finding a beautiful woman with far less strings attached or inherent risk than Dany, and yet he prefers her - to me that indicates something other than her person is his main attraction.

"You boasted that you'd had a hundred women."

"A hundred? I lied, sweet queen. It was a thousand. But never once a dragon."

Archived