Daario - the opposite of fake

Miodrag

1) He doesn't hide he's cruel and violent. In fact, he's very open about it. Perhaps it doesn't mean much, but at least it's better than the opposite.

2) It's not like he's Ramsay or Gregor. He's not into randomly killing innocent people for looking at him the way he doesn't appreciate.

And....that says I should like him? lol. that's what I was responding to: That people dislike Daario because he's arrogant and pompous. Not true in my case.

Yup, both our statements are anecdotal evidence with no proof that they're symptomatic or indicative of the rest of the population.

I made no attempt whatsoever to provide evidence or proof of anything about the dyed beard population that I don't know.

Not sure what you were trying with your statement but I made no such attempt.

Actually I don't tend to find that people dislike as much as many think. Rather they find him over the top often in a funny way, though still over the top. Most seemed to get annoyed with the odd relationship as it moved very quickly and seemed to focus on a gold tooth more often than anything should. Not many relationships have people obsessing over a gold tooth. Yet Martin focused on that gold tooth more often than not, even in her last chapter.

It does not seem likely that a tooth would find such prominence in a series or need to be mentioned so often. So many began to speculate it as foreshadowing or a hint that he was the betrayal for gold. Conflict arises because Daario would seem like the obvious betrayal, given his low morals, and desire for power. But then it seems to obvious, so is it a red herring. But the tooth is not really that obvious of a clue of betrayal, rather just repetitive and annoying right. But if you no Martin he often lays his clues right in front of your face and makes them often over obvious in order to hide them.

Either way Martin generally has 3 ways in which relationships go in the series. You are seperated, which Dany and Daario are and during that period the characters grow in different directions. You are killed, or you are sent away. Martin more than not and I mean way more than not isolates his POV's in one fashion or another and leaves them little in the way of solid relationships or a support system setting the characters to their own devices and keeping them away from any sort of good influence in their lives.

Jon at the wall was separated from the watch, his family, his uncle, is an orphan who never new his parents, iis often separated from Ghost and Ghost was not with him when he needed him most and was advised to have him with him. He started making some friends in the watch but when he became the LC he distanced himself from them, and sent Sam away. He then wanted to march south without his brothers and further distancing himself from the watch. Yiggy got killed, he has been keeping his distance from Val, Stannis left and Jon helped him leave, and he pushes Mel away who actually gave him good advice.

Cersei, had loveless marriage, was regularly separated from Jaime and they grew in different directions, had a bad relationship with Tyrion and her father, her daughter was sent away, she had a disturbing relationship with Joff and he was taken from her, she was separated from Tommen, her uncle is dead, Lancel is gone, her girlfriend is gone,

Dany of course is an Orphan, had a bad relationship with her Brother, Drogo was killed, Jorah betrayed her, her old Bear died when she was a child, Daario and her have been separated, she was separated from her dragons. She has servants but you can't really call them friends. She protects them, would probably die for them but yet it's not like a friendship or a peer.

You can go over all the characters and see the same thing happening over and over. Save maybe Bran and his little group. Though he was separated from his entire family, his use of Hodor is less than encouraging, Jojen is marked for death, and chances are Meera will probably go away or who knows what. While in the cave he sometimes Wargs Summer but is more often using birds now and Summer is not down in the cave with him but rather up by the entrance. Bran often complains about a sort of isolation and they speak of him staying in that cave for the rest of his life.

At the same time Martin is more than happy to put bad relationships into the mix. LF and Sansa, Arya and the FM. He generally takes away good relationships, limits them or destroys them and places his characters in bad relationships. Who did Dany Marry the second time? Or look at Neds life, lost his Mother, Father, Sister, oldest Brother, his younger Brother left for the watch, was separated from Cat, Rob, Bran, Winterfell, Jory was killed, his relationship with Robert had changed for the worse, his relationship with Sansa was bad at the time, Arya was distant, Renly ran off, Robert died, and Ned ends up in a relationship with LF who of course betrays him. In the end Neds last two relationships were with LF and Varys who came to see him in the black cells for a little chat and Ned was forced to try and get Varys to help him and LF. Neither did.

So after all that how do you think Dany or Daario works out? There are plenty of reasons for fans to doubt any sort of relationship or romance, because by and large they generally don't last in this series.

I made no attempt whatsoever to provide evidence or proof of anything about the dyed beard population that I don't know.

Not sure what you were trying with your statement but I made no such attempt.

You talked about your experiences with people who dye their beards, I talked about mine, end of story.

Daario is genuine alright. Genuinely slimey. However, on a more serious note, he knows where Dany has been, he knows that she must be lonesome and has been actively seducing her from the getgo. He is not just minding his own business. He has been trying to make her his business since he cut the throats of his fellow Captains, probably as they slepped and were defensless.

Yeah, betraying your fellow comrades and going over to the enemy's side is the very definition of honesty

And coming up with a plan to kill helpless wedding guests is also the trademark of a very authentic person

I love how people know for sure that the SC captains were all BFFs with Daario and they were such swell guys.

If they were so awesome, why did none of the other crows say "hey, not cool Daario!"

Shall we make a list of other characters that turned on people they once bent the knee to?

I love how people know for sure that the SC captains were all BFFs with Daario and they were such swell guys.

If they were so awesome, why did none of the other crows say "hey, not cool Daario!"

Shall we make a list of other characters that turned on people they once bent the knee to?

If you want to. Just don't say they're authentic and honest guys :dunno:

Yeah, betraying your fellow comrades and going over to the enemy's side is the very definition of honesty

And coming up with a plan to kill helpless wedding guests is also the trademark of a very authentic person

Are we sure Daario isn't a secret Tyrell?

Honor amongst theives, the old saying goes. I am not saying they were swell guys at all, just that they were partners in an organization and he cut throat them. I guaranty it was not a straight up fight face to face. This guy, Daario is not a got guy by ASOFAI standards and we can judge Dany by the company she keeps.

I think you are being too hard on those artists, Stoneheart. It would honestly be hard for me to conceive of Daario as being handsome while retaining all of those descriptions that were given for him in the book. I believe that Daario should be depicted as handsome because he is, but I can appreciate the difficulty in trying to match our society's standard of beauty while still retaining the bizarrely discordant appearance of the character. The best ones that you cited sort of deemphasize the more surreal aspects of his appearance (making his mustache a faded blonde rather than the bright gold mentioned in the books, making his beard just sort of braided in three segments rather than having three "prongs" which sounds absurd).

Daario is meant to be flamboyant and sexy and it can be hard to do that. You're trying to go for Johnny Depp's Jack Sparrow but there's really a thin line between that and Master P after raiding Bozo the Clown's wardrobe.

I'm actually a pretty big fan of the character and I hope he makes it out of Meereen. I think a lot of fans are annoyed for the reasons mentioned earlier and because it's kind of a dead end. No one really believes that Dany will really end up with Daario so all of the pages spent on that storyline almost feel like a waste.

Honor amongst theives, the old saying goes. I am not saying they were swell guys at all, just that they were partners in an organization and he cut throat them. I guaranty it was not a straight up fight face to face. This guy, Daario is not a got guy by ASOFAI standards and we can judge Dany by the company she keeps.

So what he does ninja style, big deal. No more sleazy than a shadowbaby.

In fact, how many characters actually do fight someone straight up face to face every time they fight?

Perhaps you should lower the bar a bit. Maybe you are the perfect human most are not.

Ned Stark, Robert Baratheon, Stannis, etc etc etc all have turned on people.

Not like Daario, though. That was just pure and simple backstabbing to join the winning side.

Don't get me wrong, I don't really hate Daario. I don't like him either, but I like that he was constantly telling Dany to remember her "fire and blood" side

But let's call a spade a spade. The dude is a backstabbing, blood-thirsty mercenary. I know, I know, I'm not one to talk if I enjoy characters like the Tyrells and the Ironborn but I accept that they're social-climbers and raiding pirates

Just wait until he shows back up with a gold beard and green hair

I would be rooting for Dany to suck the Tyrell colors off his face if necessary

The romance is believable enough, it's just annoying to read about it, in the same way obessively-in-love-teens are usually annoying, at least if you're not in the mood for it ;)

This is why i believe Daario is hated.

Either way, it's definitely why i find his character annoying.

I honestly hate that in art he's always portrayed as creepy and ugly. We need less of this, this and this. And more of THIS and THIS. His coloring may be quite flamboyant and showy, but I think his face is supposed to be handsome.

This one too. I think its my favorite.

the fifth looks quite a bit like Johnny Depp in pirates of the Caribbeans...with blue hair. lol But I quite agree, Daario should be good looking.

Archived