Help with a Napoleonic war novel i've been trying to remember

Talleyrand

There was a book series that I read a good few years back that i've forgotten the name of as well as any of the characters names and the author's name (I may have a pretty shitty memory) but I do remember enjoying them and no combination of things I do remember is getting any returns so I thought I'd turn to the forum for help.

Here's all I remember: the protagonist is a French Noble at the time of the revolution who managed to survive by pretending to be a commoner and while in jail is freed to fight for the revolutionary army along with a bunch of other criminals - the first book has them serving under Napoleon in Italy and the second has them in Egypt.

Thats it, hopefully someone can figure something out from my jumbled memory.

I would have guessed Richard Howard's series, because the first two novels' locations fit what you recall. However, the protagonist is a former thief, not an aristocrat.

I would have guessed Richard Howard's series, because the first two novels' locations fit what you recall. However, the protagonist is a former thief, not an aristocrat.

I've googled it and you were right thanks, I could have sworn he was an aristocrat, but then again my memory is pretty shitty so that's probably just something my mind made up

Archived