Shade of the Evening: Euron

Here Shaggydog

First off OP - great name and avatar. Huge fan.

Second - I second Agamemnon's reply. We don't know it is, or what real-world compound it is similar to, but plenty of people can use drugs to gain real insight, varying perspective, and increased and sometimes unexpected mental agility. Euron seems to be one of these types - the guy is open-minded, if nothing else. He is not afraid of looking at things from totally unexpected angles, he is asymmetrical in his problem solving, and engaging with the warlocks and their drug of choice seems to be right in line with this.

Perhaps he's joined them, partially, similar to how Arya joined the FM. Perhaps he just likes the taste. Perhaps he is controlled by them. Who knows yet?

One draught will serve only to unstop your ears and dissolve the caul from off your eyes, so that you may hear and see the truths that will be laid before you.[1]

Pyat Pree

I'll have to doublecheck, but didn't Arya drink something in the HotU that tasted foul at first, but then reminded her of lemoncakes and roast something?

One draught will serve only to unstop your ears and dissolve the caul from off your eyes, so that you may hear and see the truths that will be laid before you.[1]

Pyat Pree

I'll have to doublecheck, but didn't Arya drink something in the HotU that tasted foul at first, but then reminded her of lemoncakes and roast something?

There are the candles whose scent invoke familiar smells to grant the dying a more comfortable death in the main temple (for Arya it was smells that reminded of Winterfell) and there was the potion she drank when she was putting on the ugly girl's face in the inner sanctum which was really sour. I think you are confusing the two.

There is a distinct familiarity between those castles, weirwood paste (which Bran tasted like the last kiss his mother ever gave him among other things) and Dany's experience tasting shade of the evening which likewise tasted like a lot of familiar things to her.

He wants in. To the real power game. So he's moving forward on multiple fronts. The sea, the land, the air (securing a dragon), and the magical landscape. So he's stretching his magic muscles to be a quadruple threat; a well-balanced power portfolio for an unbalanced man.

And he may or may not still be in control of where the new awareness is taking him, but it's fair to say he's been acting for a while now on the informed counsel of whatever magical whispers are reaching his ears. It's probably why he's remained a step ahead of the competition----because he's had extra eyes or intel, not to say he's a glass candle user but he enjoys a comparable supernatural edge that infuses his plans with their uncanny success. I don't believe boldness alone explains it. The bold are often the first to die, not so with Euron who couples his boldness with impeccable timing and uncanny success that I'm not writing off as just happening by chance. I don't know if he has his own Quaithe as an informer or if he pressed some warlocks into playing that role or if the guiding hand of design behind his success really is his own nightshade-augmented mind, but there's more than a man there. Classic spooky pirate aura. Depp and Disney would be proud.

Archived