Why is "A Storm Of Swords" a fan favorite?

Looking through most of the forums here, it seems to me that most fans' favorite book of the series is ASoS, but why? Granted, it's my favorite too, but I have no idea why either. What does it do that the other books don't? Is it because of the Red Wedding? Joffrey's death? Oberyn vs. Gregor? the battle at the Wall? AGoT had Ned's death and the birth of the dragons. ACoK had the Wot5K and the Battle of Blackwater, while AFfC and ADwD had Cersei's imprisonment and her walk of atonement, the reveal of (f)Aegon VI, the stabbing of Jon Snow, Drogon in the fighting pit, etc.

Now, If you put aside that it had big events and that many characters died, why is ASoS specifically most people's favorite book?

Plotlines progressed rapidly in ASoS, no one was lingering where they stood -that's 'the why' for me. Even If we consider AFFC and ADWD as one book, it still comes short progression-wise. I didn't really measure but it felt like chapters were longer themselves also, in the latter books.

It´s full of surprises.

But the way I see the books is:

AGOT, really good and whole. We finish the main character arc (Ned), there are conclusions, but of course more story needed.
ACOK, is for me a great book. A build-up towards ASOS.

ASOS, there is payoff. The events of ACOK are nicely bound together. The arc where Jon goes north, stays with wildlings, returns to fight and becomes LC. Sansa is "saved" from KL, the rise and fall of Tyrion Lannister, the tragic story of the king in the north. Arya abandons Westeros.
ASOS is great because of the build up.

AFFC and ADWD are to me better written. AFFC is though hardly anything but introduction, ADWD is merely a beginning of an arc. I expect some payoff in TWOW. I find it hard to think of those two as separate books really.

I'm not sure that it's my favourite book, because it's hard to decide which one is the best out of the first three. However, it is true that the storylines progress quickly in SoS and it's hard to be bored. This is a stark contrast with FFC and ADwD - there is just too much filler there and DEFINITELY too many travelogues. I also think that GRRM introduced too many new characters in FFC and the geographic separation wasn't a stellar idea, either. It doesn't help that it took so long to write FFC and ADwD... All this makes SoS seem even better.

It's not just because of the major events for me (though that certainly helps). It's because of its plot progression, and its great interactions between characters

Clash is my favorite but Storm is a close second

Archived