Would you consider Gregor Cleganes somewhat physically realistic?

fabio012

Sure, if his mother was a giant.

Gregor was closer to 8 feet. Habpor is 6'10 1/2" Rory McCann 6'6"(the Hound) and Kristian Nairn 6'10"(Hodor) all very tall who do not suffer from the giagantism disorder in our world.

There are actual giants in Westeros' north who are not human and are much taller (13'? IIRC) Some of the females of this species. have been known to mate with human males. So in the world of ice and fire it is definately possible.

If you are asking if it is physically possible in our world that would be a no.

Not as big as he is no. Obviously there's people like the guy in the show who are complete tanks but I think the tallest people (we're talking 8 feet here) tend to be slim and have all sorts of physical problems. I've never heard of anyone being that tall and that strong.

As I explained earlier that is not always the case. Look it up.

Cool off. I stand corrected but the only one I see mentioned that truly fits a Gregor Clegane profile is this Angus MacAskill, who sounds incredible but he was mentioned by someone else not you so relax.

I apologize for being curt. I'm new to the boards and I'm finding out the hard way very quickly that people are not enormous fans of dissent around here. So if I bit your head off I do apologize it just seems like S.O.P. to come out swinging on this site. It won't happen again.

I would say it's possible. Some people, Gregor's S4 actor included are capable of pulling 747s and they are no where near as big as Gregor.

Mountain's S1 actor is 7'1".

Shaq is 7'2", 310 lb.

Mark Eaton from the old Utah Jazz is 7'4".

There are several powerful seven-footers in the NBA. Wilt Chamberlain was one, sixty years ago (7'1").

Gregor Clegane is described as "nearly seven and a half feet closer to 8 feet than 7," tall, or suchlike. Only a scant few inches above the real-world examples here. Additionally, this is always from a character's POV, when Clegane is not present (save from a distance at the Tourney of the Hand), so it may just be part of his legend to be that big. Plus it's doubtful that's barefoot, in front of a referee. Add in up to six inches for soles of his boots, stuff on his head, etc.

It would not be unreasonable to believe that in a world where there are twelve-foot giants, there may be one or two powerful men of that size.

Andre the Giant was 7'4 and weighed 520lbs, by the age of 12 he was 6'3 and 240lbs... at 12... 12. Also remember that Gregor is a one of a kind, the only people that measure up to him are from the age of heroes. There is no one really that size in the rest of the novel. There are 15 recognized people who were all over 8 foot to have lived in the 20th century alone, is it so hard to believe that in the entirety of history there has been at least one person who fits Gregors description?

Did you read how unhealthy Robert was though? He needed bracers on his legs.

Robert Wadlow died of a blood infection from the braces rubbing wrong. He weighed 490 lbs. at his death, which is a little thinner than a regular six-foot man scaled up by 1.5. He was also still growing at the time.

His extreme acromegaly caused him to grow too fast for his skeletal structure to keep up.

As there are numerous examples of real=world individuals exceeding seven feet without acromegaly caused by pituitary issues, the4re are better comparisons to Gregor Clegane to be found. It's a stretch, but not an extreme stretch. Proper diet can go a long way. Genetics could also help.

I find it extremely unlikely to be honest. Anyone who grows past seven foot obviously has gigantism, which naturally leads to brittle bones, breathing difficulties and typically a reduced lifespan. But it is a fantasy book, so GRRM has taken some liberties with the physical as well as the magical - if a brother and sister have three children in the real world, the chances that all three will be healthy and beautiful with just some psychotic tendencies in the eldest are very slim as well. Inbreeding in the real world leads to debilitating health problems; just look at Charles II of Spain.

I personally know a guy from college, who is 7'2", and does not show any history of acromegaly or gigantism.

Martin Van Buren Bates is another huge human being who seem to have fairly standard proportions and don't fall in the "stick-thin and unhealthy" category.

In fact, one just have to take a look at this list to see that it's fully possible for a human being to be insanely tall and still fit and muscular and healthy.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tallest_professional_wrestlers

Note that for several of the wrestler the "billed height" is several inches taller than the actual. It would be similar in Westeros with people saying Gregor was "almost 8 foot". The gap of almost one foot compared to other huge guys like Sandor or Robert is enough to make him appear super-huge at 7'6 or even slightly less.

In any case it is a somewhat moot point as Gregor's bulk and height is in no way the worst offender as far as realism in ASoIaF goes ;) At least he is treated quite consistently. Compare Tyrion who has trouble climbing stairs, but is a rather formidable warrior due to "strong arms", despite lacking any extended training with weapons.

Note that for several of the wrestler the "billed height" is several inches taller than the actual. It would be similar in Westeros with people saying Gregor was "almost 8 foot". The gap of almost one foot compared to other huge guys like Sandor or Robert is enough to make him appear super-huge at 7'6 or even slightly less.

In any case it is a somewhat moot point as Gregor's bulk and height is in no way the worst offender as far as realism in ASoIaF goes ;) At least he is treated quite consistently. Compare Tyrion who has trouble climbing stairs, but is a rather formidable warrior due to "strong arms", despite lacking any extended training with weapons.

Even so there are several of them who are well over seven foot and powerfully built. Gregor might be a freak, but he's not an physically impossible or unrealistic freak.

Actually, GRRM has confirmed that Tyrion, as a great lords son, recieved the standard weapons training of a young noble. So even if he haven't been in a battle prior to the series, he's bound to know how to hold an axe or a sword and the strenghts and weaknesses of doing so. And dwarves might have their limitations, but they aren't exactly as physically helpless as many (pointed to people in general, not someone in perticular) seem to think.

Archived