Grey Scale and Burning Sword

oramami

Are we supposed to make a connection between the grey scale and the burning sword of light bringer?

Maybe it's common knowledge out there but I recall when stannis pulled out his sword for the people of the nights watch to look at maestro aemon was obsessed with weather or not the sword was actually hot - stannis' sword was not. Isn't it the case that if a person has grey scale they can't feel anything where they are infected?

If the sword is supposed to be hot - or for that matter to reach extreme temperatures whatever - then it seems like we're stuck putting the sword in one persons hand.

are we supposed to draw a connection between Jon Connington (Red Hair- Red Sigil) and this sword? Or is this an excessively literalistic reading of the story?

Welcome to the forums! I haven't heard that theory before and it is interesting. You are proposing that in order for someone to hold a sword that projects heat you need to not feel it otherwise you would be unable to hold it. I don't think it is the case though because Berric Dondarrion uses a true flaming sword and he doesn't have a problem with it. I think magic protects you from the heat, like Daenerys was protected from the pyre or Dondarrion from his sword. Thoros did make false flaming swords before but Berric's sword just took fire instantly if i remember correctly and was not a charlatanism.

Could be. If we consider the theory of Jon being actually Lightbringer, then I can see Connington "wielding" him by crowing him because he's Rhaegar's son.

Anyway, I've trying to find a connection between North and GS. I don't think it's a coincidence that Shireen is already there. Maybe, as the "cold preserves", the GS can be contained there. I'm very sure that JonCon will go North looking for Jon/LB, but he will choose to return south to make him King instead of staying and live more years.

Mel said something about fire cleansing. I'm wondering if fire can stop the progress of greyscale. Burn the affected portion of the body and stop the virus (or whatever) in its tracks.

The whole sword doesn't have to be hot, just the blade. The grip could still be cool to the touch. We are dealing with magic here.

But it's an interesting theory.

I doubt JonCon's red hair or sigil have anything to do with it. Though I have though of him in connection to the "stone beast breathing shadow fire." A griffin turned to stone. Still working in the shadow fire part.

I think Aemon was full of shit. The sword is said to turn hot during battle. To constantly be hot, and for the grip to be hot as well is pointless. It is a magical sword. What stops it from being a cool sword when not in battle? Why can't it only hurt the enemy? Obsidian is "cold fire". One can hold it and it still has a powefull effect.

Archived