What is everyone's favourite aSoIaF quote?

Lee Daly

"So many vows...they make you swear and swear. Defend the king. Obey the king. Keep his secrets. Do his bidding. Your life for his. But obey your father. Love your sister. Protect the innocent. Defend the weak. Respect the gods. Obey the laws. It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or the other.”

--

Jamie Lannister

Pardoned them, yes. Forgiven. But not forgotten.

How much can a crown be worth, when a crow can dine upon a king?

(Jaime, this one)

And now the rains weep o'er his hall, and not a soul to hear...

Justice. Vengeance. Fire and Blood.

(Doran)

Men call me Darkstar, and I am of the night.

(this guy is awesome)

Serve, Obey, Protect. Simple vows for a simple man.

(Areo, I think that's how it went)

Most of it was in the delivery more than the actual line.Likewise with his speech at the Eyrie although I can't help but agree with him.

Well, yeah, I'd like to die drunk and in mid-orgasm too, but that doesn't make me a philosopher or a poet.

There are so many - some funny, some sad, some deep.

This is one of my favourites and on a few levels: it gives me hope for Arya, it's emotional, and also shows how GRRM can sum up part of his world creation in two short but vivid paragraphs, as well as weaving it into narrative and motivation.

Needle was Robb and Bran and Rickon, her mother and her father, even Sansa . Needle was Winterfell’s grey walls, and the laughter of its people. Needle was the summer snows, Old Nan’s stories, the heart tree with its red leaves and scary face, the warm earthy smell of the glass gardens, the sound of the north wind rattling the shutters of her room. Needle was Jon Snow’s smile. He used to mess my hair and call me “little sister,” she remembered, and suddenly there were tears in her eyes.

Polliver had stolen the sword from her when the Mountain’s men took her captive, but when she and the Hound walked into the inn at the crossroads, there it was. The gods wanted me to have it. Not the Seven, nor Him of Many Faces, but her father’s gods, the old gods of the north. The Many-Faced God can have the rest, she thought, but he can’t have this.

Can I just say, "You know nothing, Jon Snow" is probably my least favorite quote. It was okay the first couple of times, but she says it ALL. THE. TIME. Sometimes multiple times per page. It made her character seem really absurd and unbelievable, like a caricature rather than a real person. Hated Ygritte in ASOIAF. Loved Rose Leslie's portrayal in GOT

... I just went way off topic.

Can I just say, "You know nothing, Jon Snow" is probably my least favorite quote. It was okay the first couple of times, but she says it ALL. THE. TIME. Sometimes multiple times per page. It made her character seem really absurd and unbelievable, like a caricature rather than a real person. Hated Ygritte in ASOIAF. Loved Rose Leslie's portrayal in GOT

I agree, it's annoying, but I suppose it serves its purpose of teaching Jon Snow how little he actually knows about the world north of the wall.

I got a little tired of it from the books, but when that part of the show came out and it became a "meme," oh yuk, did that get old.

But I have seen one or two good jokes on it.

I got a little tired of it from the books, but when that part of the show came out and it became a "meme," oh yuk, did that get old.

But I have seen one or two good jokes on it.

Gods, not even Jon Snow could help the Leafs. Nice of him to try though. (Note to self: stock up on King's Blood for hockey season.)

I never claimed to be one either, I just like the quote.

No, I'm sure you're both, it's Tyrion who's not half as clever as he thinks he is.

How about some love for the songs that get stuck in my head of days?

My featherbed is deep and soft and there I'll lay you down.

I'll wrap you all the yellow silk and on your head a crown.

For you will be my lady love and I will be your lord.

I'll always keep you warm and safe and guard you will my sword.

And how she smiled and how she laughed, the Maiden of the Trees.

She spun away and said to him, "No featherbed for me.

I will wear a gown of golden leaves and bind my hair with grass.

But you can be my forest love, and me your forest lass."

Did I write that down from memory? Yes I did.

ETA: In my head canon, this is the song that Rhaegar sang at Harrenhal that made Lyanna cry.

Archived