What change from the books would you LIKE to see the show make? (Please keep it plausible)

I really wish that they change "Pink letter" scene. I have never accepted Jon's reaction to it. It was unrealistic. Why would he march to Winterfell, when he definitely had no enough power to win, and there was a more dangerous enemy beyond the Wall? It was a very stupid move that was out of his character.

I really wish that they change "Pink letter" scene. I have never accepted Jon's reaction to it. It was unrealistic. Why would he march to Winterfell, when he definitely had no enough power to win, and there was a more dangerous enemy beyond the Wall? It was a very stupid move that was out of his character.

I suspect they will because including the pink letter does weird things to the pacing of the battle of Winterfell (which will almost certainly be one battle in the show rather than a series of events spread over days, as in the books).

Further, if the pink letter was actually written by anybody other than Ramsay, going into how and why the character decided to impersonate Ramsay to manipulate Jon is probably not how they want to spend screen time in episodes 9 and 10.

Edit: And yeah, Jon's response to the pink letter doesn't make much sense. Jon is young and at the end of his rope, but it seems like he should be less gullible, irrational, and frustrating. After all Jon's seen about the horrors north of the Wall, with all the desperate work that he's been doing to save Westeros from an existential threat, he decides to abandon his post and vows to march on Winterfell? It is hard to blame Jon for choosing Arya and it mirrors Dany giving up on Mereen, but its so frustrating.

Yeah, as we see it written, it doesn't make much sense. We don't even know what Jon's plan was, and if he cared so much about Arya in his reaction to the letter, surely he would have rather proposed some sort of rescue instead of going after Ramsay. I agree though, it never made much sense to me...I would not be surprised to see it changed somehow in the show.

The whole Pink Letter thing seems rather contrived. It requires not showing us POVs during that time period, not even showing us Jon's plans when we are in his POV, using the excuse of stress/fear/grief to make a character do something irrational (he does this quite a bit honestly: Cat releasing Jaime, Robb banging Jeyne, Tyrion confronting Tywin), and it seems like he is messing with timelines as well. I wonder if it won't end up similar to the Purple Wedding situation where it is so convoluted that even after the truth of what happened is revealed some people will still think there must be more to it. Sometimes GRRM tries a little too hard to make something complex, which results in it feeling unrealistic. So yeah, I hope they alter the Pink Letter situation. I also would like to see Jon's death cliffhanger resolved, but that I am less certain they will address because there are too many unknowns in that.

The whole Pink Letter thing seems rather contrived. It requires not showing us POVs during that time period, not even showing us Jon's plans when we are in his POV, using the excuse of stress/fear/grief to make a character do something irrational (he does this quite a bit honestly: Cat releasing Jaime, Robb banging Jeyne, Tyrion confronting Tywin), and it seems like he is messing with timelines as well. I wonder if it won't end up similar to the Purple Wedding situation where it is so convoluted that even after the truth of what happened is revealed some people will still think there must be more to it. Sometimes GRRM tries a little too hard to make something complex, which results in it feeling unrealistic. So yeah, I hope they alter the Pink Letter situation. I also would like to see Jon's death cliffhanger resolved, but that I am less certain they will address because there are too many unknowns in that.

Agreed with all of that

• 1 month later...

Reading through the thread, it seems that a lot of people will be getting theirs... Cutting the travelogues, cutting Penny, speeding through the plots, reducing the Ironborn, cutting the Kingsmoot, adding White Walker scenes, cutting Riverrun.

The main we still don't know about would be cutting the Mance glamour, the pink letter and fArya/Ramsey's wedding night. I'd be for all of these.

But it's wonderful that next season, we won't know what will happen.

Reading through the thread, it seems that a lot of people will be getting theirs... Cutting the travelogues, cutting Penny, speeding through the plots, reducing the Ironborn, cutting the Kingsmoot, adding White Walker scenes, cutting Riverrun.

The main we still don't know about would be cutting the Mance glamour, the pink letter and fArya/Ramsey's wedding night. I'd be for all of these.

But it's wonderful that next season, we won't know what will happen.

Yeah, reading through this several months later, it is pretty impressive to see how much what people wanted changed looks to be happening.

I don't understand the hatred of the wedding night since we don't actually see it in the books (and I don't think we would in the show either). We see the lead up to what happens, but then it cuts out.

I think the pink letter could be done in the show if they don't try to keep it a mystery who wrote it, and what in it is a lie and what is the truth. We have enough mysteries, no need to contrive up a way to make another one.

I want to see as much Greyjoy plot cut as possible - the only interesting people in it are Asha (who we have as Yara and can move into her Dance circumstances) and the Reader who would likely not appear anyway if they do keep it. Yara could even take Euron's place reaving the Reach, that'd be interesting.

A lot of Sam's travelogue can go; he and Gilly have already worked themselves out and we never had Dareon so that negates the Cinnamon Wind and Braavos. If Maester Aemon must die it can be moved to Oldtown.

I'd cut Tyrion on the Shy Maid, but not JonCon and Blue Aegon; instead, don't have them appear till season 6, with part of the s5 finale being the ADWD epilogue. Give them the Stannis treatment, basically.

Avoiding cliffhanger season endings. I really hope they can resolve the battles of Winterfell and Mereen and what happens with Jon and either postpone or resolve what happens with Jaime.

Fewer main characters isolated from the rest of the story where nothing they do matters to any of the other main characters (a lot of the isolation does work in the books, but it is more frustrating on TV).

I don't want to see Ramsay's wedding night. Or its aftermath.

I think there is a lot of potential in the interactions between Cersei and Tommen, and Jaime and Myrcella. I want Tommen and Myrcella to get to ask their parents about the incest rumors. I want to see Tommen outgrow Cersei.

You just know they'll do Ramsay's wedding night...if they don't scrap it altogether.

Feel they could shorten Jorah and Tyrion's awful boat ride to Slaver's Bay, though...

Euron and Victarion getting merged? Fuck that. They're some of the best characters in the story and the Ironborn have quite a lot of sway on the story. I don't want D&D butchering the story anymore or ruining characters.

Agree, they can probably get rid of Damphiar but they need them seperate

The point is that Balon was and Victarion now is the quintessential idealisation of a good Ironborn King, Asha/Yara is highly capable but as a woman an upstart and so an underdog but Euron is of the Oronborn but is a corruption of their ideals (slaves instead of single generation Thralls) and is....something else following his tine in the East and is a little creepy

Both Victarion AND Euron are needed in order to contrast eachother

I'd like to see them flesh it out, but seems that given they are going for 8 instead of 10 seasons they are cutting Ironborn, Young Griff and Riverlands insurgency in order to streamline things

I found the Ironborn subplot annoying when it was just Theon, Asha and Balon but when Victarion and Euron came into it and started tearing up the place it became interesting. I loved the fact Victarion can sail a fleet all the way to Mereen and then smash the Slavers Fleet to shreds (in early WoW), a good example of Ironborn power projection that gives them more credibility than some half-baked rescue attempt of Theon at the Dreadfort (good speeches aside)

They would dramatically improve the series by cutting the Mance/Rattleshirt fake-out. It's not effective television because it would mean less Ciaran Hinds, and it's just a cheap trope in general. Oh, you can't think of a way to keep alive a character you enjoy writing? Have him swap identities with a less important character (and literally have a wizard do it) so you can fake his death.

Plus, Jon's story would be much better off keeping Mance at the wall. So much of Jon's storyline in ADWD is told through his internal monologue since he sends away the people he trusts, so the show will need to give him more people to talk to. Even if he doesn't trust Mance completely, he respects Mance and their interactions make for good drama.

I agree with the fake out thing not happening, but Mance still needs to go to Winterfell. Jon could just say he is sending him on a mission and be done with it, but I think it needs to happen. Honestly though, I wouldn't mind if the whole stabbing plot line was in Season 6. There is actually a lot going on at the wall between Sam and Jon's POV. I'd like to see Jon being elected to Lord Commander, and see him making the decisions that lead to the dissent. I don't think they should do the baby swapping, but still Sam/Aemon/Gilly need to go south eventually. They can have a lot of tension and things just from Stannis' arrival and Jon/Melissandre interactions. You can show him sending people off to the other castles and things. I think they can stretch it out. There is also the whole thing with Alys, and the pink letter. I don't know. I suppose they could condense it a lot, but I think that the North plotlines are actually ones that can be successfully stretched out.

I would like to see Tyrion, Dany, and every Iron Born's stories condensed though. (Except Theon, obviously). I was not a fan of Victarion/Euron/Damphair in the book, so I would be totally fine with them not being in the show at all. I have yet to see their importance, so I wouldn't mind if we don't see the kingsmoot. Although, if it were one scene, in one episode I could deal with that.

I would also love to see the Davos and Manderly plan to get Rickon, a bit of the northern conspiracy with Lady Dustin, and all of Theon's stuff. More Arya training. I think that they can throw in a few scenes with Sansa, LF, and Robin descending from the Vale and her plans for Harry the Heir.

I have no idea where they are going to go with Jaime, now that he's going to be in Dorne. I don't know what will happen with Brienne and Pod, Supposedly this season is going to be heavy on Dornish related things. I would love to see the Sarella/Alleras thing actually be true, and show us an introduction to the Citadel's plans to destroy magic. If they do show Jon's stabbing, I think that should be episode 9, and I think it would be cool to end the show with the epilogue of book 5, with Kevin's assassination by Varys. I actually found that very surprising and neat. I have no thoughts about Dany's storyline.

Actually, I have revised my statement. I forgot that Mel and Arya had that scene back in season 2 or 3, so the whole Alys plot line wouldn't make sense. I actually thought it was kind of random in the books. Maybe she can have visions of the real Arya during her training, and they can use it as foreshadowing her own death (cause it would be neat if Arya killed her). I also totally forgot about Sam and Gilly in Bravvos. That can definately go. They should stick to Oldtown. Also, the people who are suggesting that The Blackfish replace LS are geniuses. I LOVE that idea. Maybe they can include Edmure in the GNC story too, instead of Lady Dustin or other new people. I don't know how that would work. Also, I really want Gendry to come back. Maybe he can help Davos get to Skagos or something. I need him to still be around and do something.

• 4 weeks later...

No fAegon, no Arianne and no Quentyn and hence tighter storytelling would be nice, merge Euron and Victarion together or leave them out entirely, cut out most of Dany yearning for Daario and the other side characters in Meereen noone cares about, get Tyrion's plotline to converge quicker with Dany's instead of having him mope around for a season, make me care about Brienne's storyline by making it more exciting (they are halfway there already), and give Theon and the Boltons a major focus in season 5 because that stuff is the best storyline from AFFC and ADWD anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh! Here's one more that occurred to me:

Work in gratuitous nudity scenes for all the (adult, playing adult) male leads. Make one season totally without female nudity, but with male one. A lot of it. Like, from all the mains. And past mains, as ghosts/Bran!visions.

...that'd make D&D/the actors/HBO, like, master trolls. :D

...given the Walk of Shame, that's for next season, though, probably.

Archived