If you are a fan of ASoIaF and also like to play video games: What's your favorite CRPG?

Mal Malenkirk

Just curious.

What are the computer (or console) role playing games enjoyed by fans of the books?

My favorite is Dragon Age 2. I liked that it was not another 'Let's save the world' storyline but rather a chronicle spanning several years of the rise of a refugee who inadvertantly plays a big role in sparking the next world war (Mage vs Templars). And there were hard blows along the way, I was shocked when our hero's mother get murdered by a serial killer. Damn it, hadn't the Hawke family gone through enough?! Also, the NPCs are the most fun I've seen and your PC himself is very memorable (Snarky!Hawke for the win!) unlike most such avatars.

What else is popular in this crowd? With any luck I'll hear of one I don't know and try it!

Hands down, the Fallout series. Which is probably not the answer you'd expect in that context, but it stands head and shoulders above it's fantasy sibling The Elder Scrolls. Although Morrowind was also a shining example of an RPG, that Oblivion and Skyrim sadly never lived up to. I am playing Skyrim right now, though, it's still a decent game.

Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn.

I think Dragon Age 2 is really poorly executed. The first one, Dragon Age Origins is much better.

BG2 was good. Might get the enhanced version on Steam but as much fun as it was, the gameplay is dated. I didn't re-finnish BG1 when I got it on Steam.

The main knock in against DA2 in terms of execution is of course the recycling of maps. That's not impressive. And they got rid of the skill system which is too bad, it was an extra layer.

But the game play is just as fun to me, even slightly better in some instance. For example, when an enemy targets you, you can get the hell out of the way before the attack land through various trick to disengage. In DA1, once you were targeted, there was no point getting out of the way, you were getting hit. Resulting in rocks thrown at you by ogre landing far from you but still knocking you on your ass. Ugh. And more importantly, for my taste, Dragon 2 has better characters and story IMO than the first game, which counts for a lot in my book. Sebastian aside (what a bore), my least favorite DA2 NPC is Fenris yet I like him more than every DA1 NPC except for Alistair. I played through DA2 four time, I did not sink nearly as much time in the first.

Hands down, the Fallout series. Which is probably not the answer you'd expect in that context, but it stands head and shoulders above it's fantasy sibling The Elder Scrolls. Although Morrowind was also a shining example of an RPG, that Oblivion and Skyrim sadly never lived up to. I am playing Skyrim right now, though, it's still a decent game.

I like fallout. Loved the first and the second back in the days but the 3 is just okay for me, played around a bit but lost interest before the end. My problem probably is that the star of the game is the glorious setting but after that, the story or characters are not that engaging, nor is the action that thrilling. So after sufficient sight seeing, I did not have the drive to finnish it. Still a first tier game, no doubt.

If you like Star Wars in the slightest, you should try The Knights of the Old Republic. It is a fun and challenging game in terms of the gameplay but more importantly you get a lot of freedom when choosing your own path in compketing the missions and interacting with NPCs. You can be as good or evil as you like so there is a lot of room for replayability too.

ETA: It is a bit old now but still a great game!

The witcher, mass effect 2 and dragon age origins are among my favourite games ever. I'm guessing guild wars doesn't count

The witcher is a great game and even better book series. I think anyone who likes ASOIAF for the gritty 'realism' and irreverent deconstruction of fantasy tropes should have a lot of fun with either.

If you like Star Wars in the slightest, you should try The Knights of the Old Republic. It is a fun and challenging game in terms of the gameplay but more importantly you get a lot of freedom when choosing your own path in compketing the missions and interacting with NPCs. You can be as good or evil as you like so there is a lot of room for replayability too.

ETA: It is a bit old now but still a great game!

Oh, I have those on Steam. Pretty darn good games and they aged well, I finnished them again no that long ago.

The witcher is a great game and even better book series. I think anyone who likes ASOIAF for the gritty 'realism' and irreverent deconstruction of fantasy tropes should have a lot of fun with either.

I'm wary of starting the novels. I heard that the majority aren't translated and I only speak English and I'd hate to know I'd started a series that I may not ever finish

I tried twice to get into The Witcher but couldn't do it and I can't for the love of me put the finger on why. Perhaps it's just about the game play. Maybe I should give second installment a whirl and see what I think.

I only play Zelda (not an RPG, I know) and JRPG's. I like Xenoblade Chronicles, Skies of Arcadia, and some classics (Final Fantasy, Chrono Trigger, etc.), but I don't really like any of these for the same reasons I like ASOIAF. I've heard Suikoden II compared to ASOIAF/Game of Thrones, but I have yet to play that.

I'm wary of starting the novels. I heard that the majority aren't translated and I only speak English and I'd hate to know I'd started a series that I may not ever finish

I think most of them have been translated now if I am not mistaken, though it might be worth double-checking. However, I would not worry about the continuity too much as the books are just loosely connected rather than forming one story like ASOIAF and especially the first one (The Last Wish) can stand on its own.

I tried twice to get into The Witcher but couldn't do it and I can't for the love of me put the finger on why. Perhaps it's just about the game play. Maybe I should give second installment a whirl and see what I think.

That's interesting, as I loved the gameplay in the first one - I quite liked that it wasn't the usual clickfest and it felt really innovative. I only got part way through the second one, which plays a lot more like a standard RPG when it comes to combat so that might be more to your liking.

Mass Effect 2. 2nd is the original KOTOR (Knights of the Old Republic). The entire series, ME, ME2 and ME3 is pretty much the pinnacle of RPG-ing, and I've pretty much played 'em all all the way back to the original Wizardry for the Apple 2e.

In fact, the only computer game review I ever published was a mega-review of Mass Effect 2, with lots of screenshots, so long that it came in three parts, in wargamer.com. The review is kind of slobbery, as you can tell from what I've written here, but ME2 deserves the slobber and it ain't a bad read if you're into that kind of thing.

ME2 Mega-Review Part 1

ME2 Mega-Review Part 2

ME2 Mega-Review Part 3

I love the Witcher

I mean honestly how can you not love The Witcher it has Triss motherfucking Merigold.

I remember firing that game up and being like, "Whoa, full frontal nudity in a video game? Weird."

Some of my all timers:

Shining Force series

Final Fantasy Tactics (not a big fan of the new FF games)

Mass Effect series

Fallout (1 and 2 were great, 3 was kind of boring, New Vegas was excellent)

Buck Rogers Countdown to Doomsday

Chrono Trigger

Dragon Force (Sega Saturn)

Harvest Moon (SNES)

Warsong

Suikoden

Uncharted Waters II (if you haven't played it immediately download the ROM and play it, you wont regret it)

Knights of the Old Republic (as previous mentioned is one of the best ever)

And of course Skyrim which feels like it bit quite a bit from ASOIAF

Archived