If you are a fan of ASoIaF and also like to play video games: What's your favorite CRPG?

Mal Malenkirk

I only play Zelda (not an RPG, I know) and JRPG's. I like Xenoblade Chronicles, Skies of Arcadia, and some classics (Final Fantasy, Chrono Trigger, etc.), but I don't really like any of these for the same reasons I like ASOIAF. I've heard Suikoden II compared to ASOIAF/Game of Thrones, but I have yet to play that.

Yeah Suikoden is great, as is Suikoden 2.

Pretty much you wander around recruiting people, eventually take a castle, build it up, and make war.

What kind of sets it apart is the fact that it has full scale army vs army battles and the size of your force has to do with how many guys you have recruited.

Also guys you recruit add to your castle i.e. you recruit a smith and a forge is opened up at your castle, you recruit a baker and the kitchen is improved, but the baker can be pressed into your 6 man squad if you want him to fight for whatever reason.

Madden 15

Does it have the Darth Hoodie press conference option?

A) Could have executed better in all areas.

B ) Sigh.

C) Yeah, as I said, we didn't execute.

D) Sigh.

E) Well, I feel that we had opportunities, but we didn't execute.

F) pause

G) Sigh

H) Yeah, again, we didn't...perform as well as we needed to in several areas. This was an execution issue.

There can be no other answer

Go for the eyes!

Seriously OP, I think BG2 aged really well. Until this day there is no other game that balances the party-strategy battles with character interaction and story development so well. Dragon Age Origins tried to reproduce some of it with mixed results, and also KOTOR did it really well too, but BG2 became the standard benchmark and until this day, it's unbeaten.

I didn't play any of the witcher games unfortunately - don't have the a PC with processing power for it, but I'm looking forward to play Witcher 3 in the PS4.

Seriously OP, I think BG2 aged really well. Until this day there is no other game that balances the party-strategy battles with character interaction and story development so well. Dragon Age Origins tried to reproduce some of it with mixed results, and also KOTOR did it really well too, but BG2 became the standard benchmark and until this day, it's unbeaten.

Never ceases to amaze me that out of the two cRPGs that came out almost simultaneously, BG was the one that got most of the acclaim, when Fallout was clearly superior in nearly every way.

Never ceases to amaze me that out of the two cRPGs that came out almost simultaneously, BG was the one that got most of the acclaim, when Fallout was clearly superior in nearly every way.

Fallout is great as well, but BG2 is better IMHO.

So many to choose from, if I had to pick one I'd say BG2 for the combination of main story, character interaction and gameplay. You can get the enhanced version through Steam prettty cheaply nowadays. Every other CRPG I can think of was lacking in some respects compared to BG2. For instance, thought DAs combat wasn't that great(along with most Bioware games I've played), as it relied a bit too much on equipment optimization and pre-combat buffs.

I tried twice to get into The Witcher but couldn't do it and I can't for the love of me put the finger on why. Perhaps it's just about the game play. Maybe I should give second installment a whirl and see what I think.

Yes to be honest the gameplay is a bit thin, their aren't much tactics besides pre-buffing with potions, and timing your attacks right with the clicks. (Or if you go the signs route, you can pretty much just spam Igni) Once you get the hang of it, even Hard becomes pretty easy. The Witcher 2 improved on this a tad, although it really ramped up the difficulty (a mob of drowners can kill you in like 1 second on hard)

Story is pretty kickbut for CRPG though, definitely in the style of GRRM. And if you're a (straight) dude, trying to collect all the "cards" is a fun side quest :-)

BG is vastly superior to Fallout

I'm going to say Neverwinter Nights, and I know everyone will instantly disagree with me.

Fallout, Baldur's Gate, Planescape, etc. are all fantastic. Some of my favorite games ever. However, because of Neverwinter Nights' flexible modding tools and a dedicated community of 3D modelers, scripters, and module developers, it's the only game on the list that I go back to year after year which still has new, decent content available. Baldur's Gate and the others just don't have the flexibility built into their engines to allow such a community, and so even more than a decade after release the best you can get for them are HD remakes and a few balance patches. Neverwinter Nights? Conversions of old pen and paper D&D modules. Servers with player-made MMOs with hundreds of players still running around roleplaying together. Fan fiction/amateur writers using the toolset to make the interactive stories they've always dreamed of. Starcraft/Warcraft style scripted minigames. There are gigabytes of these mods floating around, dating back to the game's release in 2003. I've even taken to developing a module of my own both as practice for developing games, and to fulfill the dream of making my own CRPG story, and every step of the way the Aurora toolset (the same used to make KOTOR and The Witcher) has been brilliant, considering its age. Baldur's Gate was even converted over to NWN2 by a dedicated group of modders. How great is that?

I'm disappointed that the engines of the new crowd-funded CRPGs have all been developed with Baldur's Gate/Planescape: Torment in mind, rather than something more modern. That will make modding extremely difficult for these games beyond simple stat changes and item packs. NWN (as far as custom content is concerned) really is one of a kind in the CRPG genre.

Also, to those who were looking for more ASOIAF style experiences, one might try Fire Emblem, Tactics Ogre and Final Fantasy Tactics. All three of these series approach fantasy from the military and political perspective, rather than the "ragtag group of heroes" angle. You're more likely to quell armed rebellions or assassinate enemy commanders than thwart a rogue military experiment's mission of world destruction.

Go for the eyes!

I didn't play any of the witcher games unfortunately - don't have the a PC with processing power for it, but I'm looking forward to play Witcher 3 in the PS4.

I certainly enjoyed BG2 at the time but I remember having had even more fun with Icewind Dale 1 and 2. Of course, I was younger then, maybe it changed. I just know that re-playing the enhanced edition of BG1 evebtually sent me back to more recent RPGs so I'm wary of shelling some dough to get BG2 enhanced edition.

Does it have the Darth Hoodie press conference option?

A) Could have executed better in all areas.

B ) Sigh.

C) Yeah, as I said, we didn't execute.

D) Sigh.

E) Well, I feel that we had opportunities, but we didn't execute.

F) pause

G) Sigh

H) Yeah, again, we didn't...perform as well as we needed to in several areas. This was an execution issue.

I wish, but they won't even put his name in the game

Also, to those who were looking for more ASOIAF style experiences, one might try Fire Emblem, Tactics Ogre and Final Fantasy Tactics. All three of these series approach fantasy from the military and political perspective, rather than the "ragtag group of heroes" angle. You're more likely to quell armed rebellions or assassinate enemy commanders than thwart a rogue military experiment's mission of world destruction.

Interesting, I took a quick peek at these games and they look fun. Sadly, none of them have been added to Steam... yet. A lot of games like that are being added all the time so fingers crossed.

I certainly enjoyed BG2 at the time but I remember having had even more fun with Icewind Dale 1 and 2. Of course, I was younger then, maybe it changed. I just know that re-playing the enhanced edition of BG1 evebtually sent me back to more recent RPGs so I'm wary of shelling some dough to get BG2 enhanced edition.

Icewind was very good too, but lacked the character interactions and story from BG2. Soundtrack was amazing though!

Archived