Japan Worldcon 2007

dajamieson

• 2 months later...

Just a bump to see who has changed their chances of attending since November.... I'm thinking about getting stuff booked (right now looking at leaving Mon 27 Aug, return Fri 7 Sep) and am interested to see if/when people are going, who's up for room sharing, etc. It's early to plan, but it's probably cheaper now too, unless some miracle last-minute deal comes up.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
can we update the lists? I know a few on the "definite" list aren't going.

Of the people who plan on attending, do you think you'll be sightseeing much, or staying at the con most of the time?

I think a lot of the "definites" aren't going. But there will be a few people there. Like I will be. :P And maybe a few new people in that area will crop up.

Going to be there around 2 weeks, so I will try to do a lot of sightseeing. Trips to Japan wouldn't happen very often. :)

• 3 weeks later...

I planned a trip to Hong Kong and Japan for this summer. The timing of that trip coincides with WorldCon so I will be there. I have absolutely no plans yet. I arrive in Japan on Saturday August 25 and plan to sightsee all over the ocuntry before the Con begins.

If I go to the Con website is signing up self-explanatory? I have never been to a Con so any guidance is appreciated.

I am also willing to help out with any BWB activites as well.

Cool Plunja. Will be cool to see you again. :) This will be a low-key BwB con, just because there is likely to be very few of us but we'll have some laughs definitely. We'll have to arrange meeting closer to the con. I imagine most people are going to focus more on the sightseeing than the con itself. Just because there is so much to see in the country.

And yes, its simple enough to get registration info. Link here.

Sightseeing all over the country in 4 days sounds a bit ambitious; even with the shinkansen, you'd spend all your time travelling. There'll be plenty just in the Tokyo/Yokohama area to keep you busy; it might be better to take a more leisurely tour of the rest of the country after the con, if you have time. Do ask if you have any questions on registration, or anything else.

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks for the info. I've been looking at a Frommer's book on Japan. It says I can get a Rail Pass before I go to Japan and that that is the most economical way to travel if I'll be doing a bit of it. The book says $375 US for 14 days though this edition was published in 2004. I hope I can use it for incidental travel around Yokohama and then use it to take the Shinkansen to Hiroshima and Okayama (the other destination). Is that true?

I probably won't fly into Osaka as the convention is in Yokohama anyway and I plan to do my traveling after the convention (before the convention is a busy season, and therefore more expensive, for some reason).

BY FAR the cheapest way to travel in japan during the summer is to get the "Seishun Juhachi Kippu." It gives you 5 tickets for 24 hour periods of unlimited travel on all commuter trains in japan, and for a small fraction of the price of the JR passes (i think its under 100$ but i cant remember exactly). The only problem is that the summer passes are only available in july and august.

• 2 weeks later...

Hiya,all. I'm Japanese. I plan to be in Nippon2007.

I've been to Pacifico Yokohama Convention Center once.(for attending a convention. It was mainly about anime. The guest was an actor. He was one of Jedi knights but I forgot his name...lol)

So If you have any questions about Yokohama or Japan, I'll answer as much as I can.

Actually I can't wait August! ;)

Hiya,all. I'm Japanese. I plan to be in Nippon2007.

I've been to Pacifico Yokohama Convention Center once.(for attending a convention. It was mainly about anime. The guest was an actor. He was one of Jedi knights but I forgot his name...lol)

So If you have any questions about Yokohama or Japan, I'll answer as much as I can.

Actually I can't wait August! ;)

Nice to see you post Catalyst. :) We don't have many Japanese posters but Worldcon is an ideal time for more to appear!

Its rapidly approaching too. Wow...

We don't have many Japanese posters but Worldcon is an ideal time for more to appear!

I think that's why Eurocon threads are more active.OMG.

It seems hard to find bookworm fellows who will come to Japan...

Anyways,I try to brush up my English here. See you in August.

I think that's why Eurocon threads are more active.OMG.

It seems hard to find bookworm fellows who will come to Japan...

Anyways,I try to brush up my English here. See you in August.

Yes, since I know only one of us here that has made an effort to learn proper Japanese. (And its not me). :)

Its not just numbers that keep the Euro threads active. They are very loud. :P

• 2 weeks later...
Yes, since I know only one of us here that has made an effort to learn proper Japanese. (And its not me). :)

Konnichiwa!

(one of the five or six things I can say)

I'll be in Japan August 26th-September 16th (in Yokohama at the con August 30th-September 3rd).

Anyone want to hike to the top of Mt. Fuji with me shortly after the con? It's only supposed to take 18-24 hours, round-trip. :) (most people start hiking partway up the mountain, but according to my research it's entirely possible to walk all the way from the base, and a very lovely hike too)

Kristin

Well, i'm definitely going to climb Mt Fuji. Was thinking of doing it before the con, but i'm flexible. :) They do say that the traditional way to arrive on top was at sunrise...that would help 18-24 hour option. :P

Well, i'm definitely going to climb Mt Fuji. Was thinking of doing it before the con, but i'm flexible. :) They do say that the traditional way to arrive on top was at sunrise...that would help 18-24 hour option. :P

Just remember to bring warm cloths. Japan in the summer is sweltering hot, but it can be below freezing at the top of fuji san.

Archived