Diplomacy - The South, Turn 14 (Year 4, Months 4-6, Summer)

TheCrannogDweller

The south was the same though, it had its own movement rules to keep in mind the whole time.

I don't think that's comparable to 3 unique bonuses for each individual region, but whatever the host is comfortable with.

I also think the no starting army is a good suggestion (but without the max cap).

Just have the ports of the Ironborn produce one food per turn. And maybe have them skip the "one full turn to embark" rule.

I like that. Ironborn are born to boats, they shouldn't be a kerfuffle getting onto the water, like the landlubbers.

Aye levying men is an act of war and nothing less; I realize now we never should have been starting with troops.

The only reason to raise men is to attack someone or defend, and the second of those is up for debate

It's also puts whoever starts from islands in a bind. Having men on three different islands requires you to build three ports. One is a necessity for the players capital, but any more seems like a waste in gold just to get men off an island. My 1000 starting army on Oakenshield and Greenshield were never used.

It's also puts whoever starts from islands in a bind. Having men on three different islands requires you to build three ports. One is a necessity for the players capital, but any more seems like a waste in gold just to get men off an island. My 1000 starting army on Oakenshield and Greenshield were never used.

This won't be an issue here - at least with the Iron Islands. Both starting sets are located at a single island.

Ok, here is the bunch of ideas that I like.

1. Regional traits

- The Westerlands - Silverfingered/Fearful smallfolk - giving them more gold, but slowing down colonization

- The Riverlands - Greenthumbs/Upjumped stewards - giving them more food, but slowing down conquest

- The Vale - Greenthumbs/Feeble - giving them more food, but limiting their movement (to balance out their improved security)

- The Iron Island - Seafarers/Feeble; automatic ports

- Dragonstone - Valyrian Blood/Disfigurement (or Inbreeding)

- The Crownlands - let's just include them in the Riverlands

2. Restrictions on armies

- no initial armies

- levy cap - 1000 per region, 500 per castle

- armies can be given only to someone to whom you've sworn fealty

3. Restrictions on resources and lands

- A cap on how much resources one player can give to another player each turn - 4 units

- One region can be given only once per turn.

True, but you have the sister islands, and then Driftmark/Dragonstone/Claw Isle on the east side, which are all seperate.

If we implement the no-initial-armies idea, this will be less of a problem. That way, you will only need to create a port if you raise troops on those islands and want to attack someone with the them - otherwise those armies will be the very definition of defensive garrisons.

- levy cap - 1000 per region, 500 per castle

per turn?

Per turn?

The 500 are stuck in the castle? Or can they roam?

I meant that having a castle allows you to levy 500 more troops - not that they will be stationed inside it.

So, if you have 3 regions and a capital castle in the beginning, your levy maximum is 1000x3 + 500 - a total of 3500.

If you get 3 more territories and 2 more castles, your cap becomes 6x1000 + 3x500 - a total of 7500.

Once you reach your current cap, you can't raise any more troops until either the ones you have die, or your cap increases.

If we implement the no-initial-armies idea, this will be less of a problem. That way, you will only need to create a port if you raise troops on those islands and want to attack someone with the them - otherwise those armies will be the very definition of defensive garrisons.

I'm just seeing it as one reason in favor of the no-initial army idea.

Are the regional traits going to replace the house traits, or are we going with both? One possibility I see is someone picking a positive house trait to offset the negative regional trait and then picking Saltfears, as the negative housetrait. I believe Saltfears was the number 1 picked negative trait last game in part beacause most people weren't planning on being innthe water, for it to affect them.

There's a set for both; also the crownlands differences nox came up with were good, just needs a stronger negative and disallow trait stacking with craftsmen, or castles get built in one turn.

Also farms and gold mines, that +1 will be meaningless, plus anyone who settles the regions can get the bonus.

Also farms and gold mines, that +1 will be meaningless, plus anyone who settles the regions can get the bonus.

I think those would make the game too complicated. If you want the bonuses to be territory based, just assign an additional bonus to each castle within these regions.

So every castle in the Riverlands will produce +1 Food (if it is a Food castle - +2), while each castle in the Westerlands will produce +1 Gold ( if it is a Food castle - +1/1). That would be easier to keep track of - although I still think it's a mistake to boost the gold/food production so drastically - just think about the surpluses the players in those regions will run up. The Westerlanders will have so much gold that they'll start ordering assassinations just out of boredom.

But then there's no investment of either time or resources, and castles are worth double their cost basically. Its not going to be any more complicated than the stormlands movement or the pass debuffs, or just army movement in general.

And the goal was give people surplus so they'd

1) have extra food for winter

2) gold to use other aspects of the game

3) also possibly giving poisons a food cost instead of gold, to see more use.

Otherwise the map will be super bland, it needs kindling for conflict aside from just bashing people to a pulp with armies.

Ok, here is the bunch of ideas that I like.

1. Regional traits

- The Westerlands - Silverfingered/Fearful smallfolk - giving them more gold, but slowing down colonization

- The Riverlands - Greenthumbs/Upjumped stewards - giving them more food, but slowing down conquest

- The Vale - Greenthumbs/Feeble - giving them more food, but limiting their movement (to balance out their improved security)

- The Iron Island - Seafarers/Feeble; automatic ports

- Dragonstone - Valyrian Blood/Disfigurement (or Inbreeding)

- The Crownlands - let's just include them in the Riverlands

Good for the most part, but not so sure about giving the Valyrian Blood trait to those on Dragonstone. Unless you wanted to add another perk to the Valyrian Blood trait, or at the very least make obtaining a dragon quite a bit easier... not to mention, if paired with Disfigurement, there's such a minimal chance of them gaining an egg in the first place. It just seems like a really crappy deal for whoever ends up with Dragonstone, compared to the positive/negatives given to other regions IMO.

Archived